Which film series do you want them to make a sequel to the most

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by ThisEvilBastard, Jun 16, 2013.

?

Same

Poll closed Sep 11, 2013.
  1. The original Evil Dead trilogy

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. A nightmare on elm street original

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Friday the 13th the original

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Halloween original

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Saw

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Your chose

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

...The Friday films fucking blow after the second one, and even that's a stretch. (It's 5 years later but looks painfully like 1981. Fuck off.)

The continuity in the timeline was completely thrown out of the window for this series. Naturally, films of this type usually have completely unlikeable protagonists, but this was a case where the characters were actually worth HATING. Not to mention the comedic aspects of the sequels never worked. I LOVE juvenile humor (I will almost always laugh when a fart sound is made) but these films had me rolling my eyes the entire time.

I will never understand why the Friday the 13th films are so beloved. Ever. Sad, because I do love the first one. But I can't watch it without shaking the feeling that it's part of a series that I can't fucking stand.

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I thought the ending(s) worked well. And yes, anything in ANB is funnier than JL, plus it doesn't disrupt the dark nature that JL does.

Oh cool. And there's no opposing stance to what I said, so there's no me vs you in this part. It's just a feeling I have about the film. As if it's action-oriented but a bit reserved on the horror side.

I think Part 4 is better than what came after it, but the last time I watched it there were a lot of parallels to modern MTV-styled remakes. Except more artistically directed by far. It felt a bit too polished. But I'll take it over Dream Child and Freddy's Dead any day.

I think SC is superior. I consider it the best slasher film of all time, and it goes beyond its ending (though that is the punch that puts everything into perspective).

Cool. I don't think there's a fact to it, but there's an implication that "something" unsaid went down and Chris' story feels like a rape. It doesn't have to be rape in the F13 universe, but it doesn't mean that it can't stand for it.

Well that's a cool opinion. I don't share it. I won't change either. The end.

It may be the characters rather than sex itself. Teddy and the twins. Jimbo/Tina and Sara/Doug have no negative moments for me.

Yep. Like I said it's ripe for interpretation. None of these are facts, they're new perspectives.

3. Body Boy

Part II was shot in 1981... they aren't psychic.

Perhaps then you're simply not the right type of person for these films. If fart jokes gets your gall, something that irritates many, then it comes down to preference. As for unlikable protagonists... I don't see how any of the leads in the first few films aren't likable. I love Alice, Ginny, Chris, Trish, Pam, Tina, etc... And I love most of their friends. I don't like either of the Teds, Rick, Paul, but I can get into the others. Debbie, Andy, Jack, Bill, Brenda, Marcie, Mark, Jeff, Sandra, Teri, Vicki, Annie, Scott, Sara, Doug, Samantha, Tina/Eddie... they all have qualities similar to my friends. I like happy go lucky people and do not find that a hindrance. Perhaps hating leads has more to do with you than the films. What's so terrible about them?

The first is clearly the best and most uniquely directed (though Part V has an air about it) but many of the sequels channel aspects of the first that I love. Slashers of the time like the first five with hidden killers and happy teens make me happy. I don't like cheering on the killer and I will likely NEVER understand what makes people want to root for a psychopath. I don't buy into the whole "people killed for sex and drugs" trope because I don't think that philosophy was in mind in the heyday, at least it doesn't come across. But as the F13 series progresses the more it's aimed at making Jason a hero and the teens "deserving it", the less I find to like. I like it when the teens have sex, having a good time. I enjoy seeing them diminished because it's not fair and I want the killer to pay for what he/she's done. I'm sick of films like Hatchet where you want every nobody to die. I want to relate to those who have been lost.

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Friday the 13th are the fart jokes of the horror genre.
    And I LOVE fart jokes.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The Friday the 13th timeline goes something like this (give or take a year or two):

Part 1: 1980
    Parts 2-4: 1985
    Part 5: 1990
    Part 6: 1995
    Part 7: 2005
    Part 8: Sometime in the far flung future when the continents shift and Crystal Lake becomes a bay to the Ocean.

End of proper continuity.

6. Body Boy

I know that (actually, Part 1 is 1979, and 2-4 is 1984). I'm responding to the criticism that Part II looks like 1981 when it's supposed to be 1984. They're not psychic.

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Maybe they just... shouldn't have set it 5 years later?

It wasn't necessary.

8. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Not so much a sequel, but I always wondered what a prequel to Dead & Buried would be like. Exploring Dobbs earlier work perhaps.

9. deepred

deepred Member

I was being kinda facetious with my Chris comments. :) For me, Friday 3, along with 5, are the most fun and entertaining. The convenience store scene in particular reminds me more of something you would see in a grindhouse film than a Friday sequel and that's precisely why I love it.

Betty definitely had some serious issues for sure - one being the actress playing her. I've read she was awful to work with. I believe Dario wanted to work with Jennifer Connelly again but alas that was not too be. :(

Btw, I meant to tell you, I saw Hatchet For The Honeymoon in your top 25. I just saw it recently for the first time and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I definitely think it's underrated. Some of the scenes, in particular the flashbacks, reminded me a bit of Shock. I loved the scene with the detective and the blood dripping from the stairs!

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

no way, part 5 needs to be at least 10 years after part 4, in order for tommy to age that much. he can't be any more than 10-11 in part 4, and there's no way he's less than 20 in part 5.

11. Body Boy

Part 7 probably takes place in 2010-2013, because they all look like hipsters.

12. ThisEvilBastard

ThisEvilBastard Banned Mofo

Here's is the true timeline because you've got to include the Nightmare films:
    Friday 1
    Nightmare 1
    Friday 2,3 & 4
    Nightmare 2
    Friday 5
    Nightmare 3
    Friday 6
    Nightmare 4
    Friday 7
    Nightmare 5
    Friday 8
    Nightmare 6
    Friday 9
    Freddy Vs Jason
    Friday 10

New Nightmare and remakes don't exsist in the same universe

13. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Troll thread confirmed.

14. Body Boy

This feels likely, but I need proof for it being "true". Nobody actually knows what years many of them take place....

15. ThisEvilBastard

ThisEvilBastard Banned Mofo

Just think about it.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

[​IMG]

17. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Workshed?

More like...

Twerkshed

[​IMG]