Which genre do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Apr 18, 2005.

?

Which genre do you prefer?

Poll closed May 18, 2005.
  1. Giallo

28 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Slasher

54 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

In Europe you've got the giallo, in America you have the slasher. One is characterized by Ennio Morricone music, the other by bad synth music. One was pioneered by Mario Bava and Dario Argento, the other by Bob Clark and John Carpenter. Yet, no matter how different their styles and influences, both are very similar. Which one do you prefer?

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I prefer the giallo, definitely. I like how the Italians put most of their emphasis on the filmmaking process. I figure, the acting isn't great, but the direction is fantastic so at least it's enjoyable in that respect. As far as slashers are concerned, the acting is usually atrocious and the direction is... well... (most of the time) atrocious. Looking back, I really have no idea why I enjoy slasher films as much as I do, but well yeah. Gialli are definitely better. :D

*slowly backs out of the room*

3. Dilmo

Dilmo Guest

Slasher by a nick. [​IMG]

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Giallo... haven't seen many but seen enough to know they are alot more fun and interesting than just slashing people up. :)
    Still dig slashers though.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Slasher. Good, dumb, mindless fun. Besides, four of my all-time favourite movies would be considered slashers.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Giallo. They are less predictable, and some of them are just very well made. I'd say the cinematography in giallos - generally - was better, giving us a greater aesthetic.

7. sacateca

sacateca Guest

i like both when the movies are well done and refuse to answer :/ Ok...i suppose it's slasher because there are more good slashers than good giallos, though both can be great. (And it annoys me the way in giallos they always talk about maniacs and are on the side of the police).

8. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Slasher. More entertaining. Although I've enjoyed most giallos I've seen, I find myself not being able to take them seriously, and unlike the slasher, they seem to mostly be in serious tone. IE) in Deep Red when the guy finds something on the wall that helps him find the killer (can't remember much about it), it just seems too convenient. And, I believe there was at some point where the character remembered he seen the killer's face in the mirror... come on now. If you saw a face in that mirror when you were there you wouldn't have just walked on past. Just my two cents.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Slashers. Slashers. It is just so very much slashers. There are many good giallos, but the bad ones make me want to shoot out my TV. I can at least have fun with both the good and bad slasher movies. So slashers. Fuck yeah. Yeah buddy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005
  10. Luna

Luna Guest

At this point, I'd like to remind people that
    spoiler tags
    are our friends.

I grew up on slashers, so they're dear to my heart that way. It hurts me to choose, but yeah, I'd choose slashers. They get the slight edge here for fun and nostalgia. I guess it kind of helps that I'm a fiend for the bad synth music. :D

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoy both greatly, but I still must go for Slashers. I grew up watching them long before I had ever even heard of the term Giallo.

12. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Definitely the giallo. Slashers are somewhat fun but there's none that i would ever consider masterpieces like some of the gialli i've seen.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Very tough, as I adore both, but overall I have to go with slashers.

14. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Not because Aussie George Miller "invented it" but I love the Post Apocalyptic Genre.

There is a lot of scope to explore politics and sociological questions, but also cause the Italians seriously fucked it up with some high camp classics.

15. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Gialli, like dwatts said they're not as predictable as slashers, they can be surreal and sometimes dumb as hell. I like that music and style often play a bigger part in a giallo than a slasher, and that they don't bother to always explain everything. -That last bit must be the real fascination and secret of the ongoing success of this particular genre, in my opinion.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

17. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Slasher, but mostly because the best in the Slasher canon (i.e. Clark/Carpenter) beats the best in the Giallo canon (i.e. Bava/Argento).

18. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Giallo all the way for me.

19. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I like them both, especially when they collide, as in Blood and Black Lace. But since I can pick only one, I went with Slasher.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

this could be a close race...