Which is the best Lucio Fulci's Zombi disc

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Evil Dead Guy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. As i have been wanting this Lucio Fulci's classic for sometime now, but cannot make up my mind of which disc to buy. Which disc from what company do you all recommend, cheers and thanks.

2. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

Zombie II by Media Blasters is my pick.

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Zombi 2 (25th Anniversary Special Edition 2-Disc Set) by Media Blasters, Inc

4. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

They both have the same transfer. And they both cost about the same. So what it really comes down to is the special features. Media Blasters sure does have alot of special content, but to be honest, the special features really arent that hot. The doc they put on the disc, while a nice idea, came off as kinda boring and it gave me a headach. On the bright side though I did love the captain haggerty interview. He seems like a really cool dude. They also ported over the audio commentary from the Anchor Bay disc which is nice. Although the movie soundtrack volume is a bit to high during the commentary at times. And the disc also has a bunch of trailers for other zombie movies which was cool.

So if you don't really give a hoot about special features and just want the film then get the Blue Underground disc. If you want special features, Media Blasters has plenty of them but like I said the main doc was a let down. Everything else was ok though.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have the Media Blasters and am very happy with it.However,if you would like to read detailed comparrisons of all the available versions go to www.dvdcompare.net. For a screenshot comparrison between the MB,Blue Underground and Anchor Bay versions go to www.DVDBeaver.com

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The transfers are so close that it's not much of an issue. We had some captures on this very site, but when I compared them to my own SS release, mine didn't look the same as what was posted.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, if you have a 4:3 set, the SS disc isn't flagged correctly. If you have a widescreen set/projector, it's fine. Since the extras on the SS are overwhelming, it was a no brainer for me. SS all the way.

7. Stige

Stige Active Member

shriek show gets my vote as well, but I am keeping my anchorbay disc because the audio was way better than either blue underground or shriek show

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

SS is better.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The SS version easily... it's amazing they didn't fuck up the release!

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I used to have the AB disc, but sold it off about 6 months before the new special edition releases. I just knew one of them had to be better and I decided to go with the Shriek Show release and am absolutely delighted in having it. The extras are great and I love the packaging as well. An A++ release in my book. I love it to no end.

11. de rossi

de rossi Guest

If you´re into xtras, then Media Blaster´s disc the one to pick up. BU:s disc is great, but it got very few xtras...

The Transfer is slighthly better on BU:s disc, but thats my personal opinion.

12. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I would go with SS. I purchased both BU and SS version, and I sold my BU version, because more extras on the SS version, and I am more into the extras portion. Also, I remember when Zombie came out in 1979 where I live. It was X-Rated at the time, and I was only 10 years old. I wanted to see it real bad, but I was not old enough. Several years later, I think about 3-4 years later, we had several video stores in the area, but no Blockbuster at the time. These video stores has since closed, but we had a National Video, and at the time, we rented a VCR, and I rented Zombie, and my Stepdad rented Color Me Blood Red. I miss the old days, the old Mom & Pop video stores, which we had several small video stores.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I believe the SS disc was not flagged correctly for progressive displays. I have no idea though as all I have is the BU version and am quite happy with it.

14. Noto

Noto Guest

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--I believe the SS disc was not flagged correctly for progressive displays.--

As noted above, I think this only matters if the disc is played on a 4:3 system. On a widescreen system (and on my projector), it is flagged correctly. Perhaps that means it's "not flagged correctly for NON-progressive displays"?

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yep same here

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Well according to DVD Talk this affects progressive displays as in their own words...
    "Individuals with 16x9 setups may also want to know that the Blue Underground version is a PROGRESSIVE transfer while the Media Blasters version is an INTERLACED offering."

Your dvd player will still deinterlace the SS one though, it just may not look quite as good on some players as compared to others. There are different ways for a dvd player to deinterlace video. Some players go completely by flags so with those cheaper players it may look kinda bad. Other players watch the cadence or something and don't totally rely on the flags on the dvd so they can adapt better and look better in the process when something like a dvd that wasn't flagged properly comes along.
    Like I said before though I only have the BU version so I have no idea if this is a big deal or not. I imagine it isn't or we would have heard a big uproar about it already.

Edit: I also found this same info is in the horrordvds review.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2005
  18. Thanks very much you guys this helps alot, i think i will get the Blue Underground version as the Xrta's i don't really care about but more of the quality.

Cheers and thanks again all :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2005
  19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Your dvd player will still deinterlace the SS one though, it just may not look quite as good on some players as compared to others.--

Interesting problem, I guess I would say: "Is it a problem if you don't notice it, or are people simply getting worried about a technicality that has no real effect on the end product?" Plenty of people here seem to be stating they don't have any issues, and neither have I...... hmmmmmmm.

Still, no point in getting the BU now for me. Given the choice, I'd rather have extras than not, even if I'm not going to watch them for a good few months. I'll try it on my new projector soon, see what happens....

20. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

SS No Doubt.