Which is the best Lucio Fulci's Zombi disc

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Evil Dead Guy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. It got me thinking again, maybe i will get the Media Blaster 2-DVD set. Come to think about it, the extra's does sound good.

2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Heres my question:

Isnt the SS cut 4 hours long versus the BU cut being about 2 hours? Does the extra length of time detract from the overall film or is it actually made better? I'm still uncertain as to which release to get myself, although I've been leaning toward the SS version.

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Drugs are bad mmmkay?

4. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

The long SS running time is due to them adding up the time for the movie PLUS the docs and interviews (plus possibly the numerous zombie-oriented trailers on disc 2). It's kind of deceptive, but I've seen plenty of companies advertise "Over Ten Hours of Extras" because there's a doc and 2 commentary tracks!

I'd go with SS, though. But I'm holding onto the AB because of the trailers which mention the barf bags. They have that real early '80s grindhouse feel. Too bad SS couldn't have had a brand new commentary, since the McCullough one is kind of boring in a way.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I also have the SS version but I will keep my Dutch dvd also since it has the complete Frizzi soundtrack and more.

6. Vasilis

Vasilis New Member

Same here :)

7. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

You really need to get both ...

You really need to get both because:

1.) BU has the superior image quality not just because it is encoded progressive vs interlaced for the SS release but also because the SS release has the video levels "pumped up" more than the BU release with the end result being that the BU release has a more natural realistic looking image.

2.) SS has EXTRAS that you NEED if you are a fan of the film.

I bought both :)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the "pumped up" video on the SS release. I do recall "old" threads (from when they both came out) mentioning this and most seemed to think, as I said, that the BU release looked better i.e., more realistic as I said before.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I didn't mention it because the disc looks just about perfect. I saw some screen captures, but my disc didn't look the same. Maybe its the settings on my display - don't know.....

9. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I bought both the SS and BU discs, and while the extras on the SS disc are nice, I consider the BU disc to be my favorite of the two.