Which "NonHoSonno" Disc To Buy?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by iluvdaria, Jan 11, 2002.

1. iluvdaria

iluvdaria Guest

Should I go with the Italian Medusa DVD or stay patient and wait for the 2-disc UK set which I believe contains the "Eye For Horror" documentary? I have Artisan's crappy pan & scan DVD but I need to see this wonderful film in widescreen! Thanks for the input.

2. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

I'd wait ....

Hello :)

The quality of the Italian Medusa DVD of NON HO SONNO is very nice but it does not appear to be in the correct aspect ratio. Yes it is widescreen but there seems to have been a bit of a cheat since it is ever so slightly stretched causing everyone to look slightly too tall and thin.

So, I would wait and see how the British DVD compares.

- JC "FulciZombieFan"

3. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Good news - the UK Sleepless was passed uncut:

BBFC

No news on an uncut Trauma unfortunately.

4. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Plus, the UK Sleepless is about $10 less than the Italian NonHoSonno. You can get the UK DVD for $23 shipped at Bensons World:

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/index.htm

The Italian DVD runs around $30-$35 plus shipping. It may be available for less, but those are the average prices I've seen.

5. iluvdaria

iluvdaria Guest

Thanks for the input guys!

6. evileye

evileye Member

The quality of the Italian Medusa DVD of NON HO SONNO is very nice but it does not appear to be in the correct aspect ratio. Yes it is widescreen but there seems to have been a bit of a cheat since it is ever so slightly stretched causing everyone to look slightly too tall and thin.

** That would be because the DVD is in anamorphic widescreen and a number of region-hack players play this version and cannot switch. Not a huge problem if you have a 16:9 tv though. But yes, that is the correct aspect ration and not intentionally stretched to fool anyone ;)

7. FulciZombieFan

Medusa DVD of NON HO SONNO wrong aspect ratio

I am sorry but the aspect ratio is wrong and now I am not crazy I know a few disagree with me but IT is stretched.

View this page I made sometime ago:

http://www.nightmarevideo.net/nonhosonno/

Agree or not but my eyes tell me it is stretched.

- JC "FulciZombieFan"

P.S.
    And no the stretching is not because of improper NTSC to PAL conversion.

8. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Man, there are SO many foreign discs I want, but I don't have a NTSC/PAL converter. Oh well, as it stands MY best option is the Artisan DVD. :(

9. iluvdaria

iluvdaria Guest

I just pre-ordered the 2-disc UK DVD of "Sleepless". It doesn't ship until February but I can wait. Small price to pay for having that lousy Artisan disc!

10. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

2 disc set is gonna rock

11. iluvdaria

iluvdaria Guest

Damn straight! I can't wait!

12. FulciZombieFan

Possible cheap solution for PAL to NTSC

If you already have a computer with a DVD-ROM drive then there is an additional add-on video card known as the REAL MAGIC HOLLYWOOD PLUS

This add-on video card (which goes into an empty PCI slot on the motherboard) will allow you to output video and audio from your computer DVD-ROM to your Television. What's so nice about this? It comes out-of-box ready to convert PAL to NTSC or vice-versa.

You will have to do a firmware upgrade on your DVD-ROM to make it region free. This can be done to most DVD-ROM players as I understand it. You will also have to get a program called REMOTE SELECTOR that will make the HOLLYWOOD PLUS board region free and it also just happens to make it macrovision free as well.

I just ordered one of these boards with a confirmed ship date of Monday Jan. 14, 2002 so I hope it works as well as I've heard (I've heard mostly good things about the picture quality period plus the ability to do PAL to NTSC conversion).

The board can be bought in a combo pack from the company that makes it ... go to this web site:

http://www.buyrealmagic.com/

The combo is $89.99 and yes it includes a very kewl looking remote. However they sell the remote seperately for a cheap $19.99 meaning what ... you can find the board rather cheaply on eBay ... I got a brand new one on eBay just tonight for $35.00 plus $5.00 S&H

As for making your DVD-ROM drive region free check out this web site:

http://www.doom9.net/

On the right hand side click on "The Guides"
    Then on the new page that loads LOOK for this link:
    "How to make your DVD-ROM region free"

By reading this guide and checking out the web sites they told me to check out I was able to download a firmware and burn that firmware to my Pioneer DVD-ROM drive making it region free.

Last but not least the REMOTE SELECTOR program can be downloaded from this web site:

http://www.visualdomain.net/

A bit to go through but if you do all that then you will be able to watch any region coded DVD in either PAL or NTSC and you will be able to watch them NOT only on the computer but also on your TELEVISION.

Woo Hoo

- JC "FulciZombieFan"

P.S.
    I will post on my experience with the Sigma Real Magic Hollywood Plus once I get in installed which should be by next weekend I hope!

Also if you have a fast enough computer but don't have a DVD-ROM you can get a very nice Pioneer or Toshiba for less than $100 at this web site:

http://www.mwave.com/

Make sure the current model number can be hacked ... see the doom9 web site and the link there that takes you to the page on DVD-ROM drive firmware upgrades.

This should work on any PIII or even a PII that is faster than 300Mhz ... if it is a celeron then it should be a very fast one ... again the newer P4 and AMD Athlon/XP is no problem they are very fast. Also you should have at least 64MB RAM if not 128MB RAM and upgrade to Win98SE or better (Win98 or less you may have problems).

13. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

JC, I hate to tell you this, but I went the Hollywood Plus route in search of a PAL solution and it did not work. Output to the TV is wrong, with frame stutter bad enough to cause a headache or motion sickness. It simply cannot handle PAL in 480i mode (for a TV). It's only a solution for low speed PC's.

The TV solution is a MALATA N996 DVD player, the only DVD player out there that can be bought new that converts PAL to NTSC without artifacts or distortion or stutter. It does a perfect job.

www.avdeals.com stocks it for under $300 shipped. Progressive Scan too. It simply cannot be beat.