Which of these Hammer films is better?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by RyanPC, Jun 2, 2005.

?

Which is your favorite of the Hammer "big three"?

1. The Curse of Frankenstein

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Horror of Dracula

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. The Mummy

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I just saw The Mummy (1959) for the first time last night. Is it just me or does that one severely pale in comparison to The Curse of Frankenstein or Horror of Dracula? Not only was it somewhat dull, but the story was severely lacking. This inspired me to make a poll-- which of the Hammer "big three" do you consider the best?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed The Mummy, but it cannot compare to the other two, IMO. My favorite is The Curse of Frankenstein, although Horror of Dracula isn't far behind it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  2. Meanie

Meanie Guest

I would rate the 'Big Three ' as follows:
    1 - Horror of Dracula
    2 - Curse of Frankenstein
    3 - The Mummy
    Although I think all 3 are in the same Level of Greatness

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've only seen it Once but from what I saw the Mummy is definitely the worst of the three. Not even in the top 10 Hammer films IMO.

1 - Curse of Frankenstein
    2 - Horror of Dracula
    3 - The Mummy

4. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I haven't seen the Mummy, but the Horror of Dracula is Hammer at its best, IMO. As is The Plague of the Zombies, which is one of my favorites and worth a mention.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like THE MUMMY, but I have severe reservations in calling it part of Hammer's "Big Three". True, it was the third in the line of their classic horror remakes, but it never spawned much of a following. It's sequels were only sequels in name only whereas the Frankenstein and Dracula had (more or less) coherent storylines from one to the next. It's about as important a movie in the Hammer heirarchy as the one-shots PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, THE GORGON or CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF. Hammer really only had a "Big Two", those being FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA. If they have a third, my vote would be QUATERMASS.

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Horror of Dracula is tits. Curse of Frankenstein is good, but it's way too stilted for me. Dracula has just tremendous energy, although Prince of Darkness is the better in the franchise.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I love them all. I think The Mummy is underrated, and is an excellent film. Actually, one of my favorite Mummy films, period. I don't find it dull at all.

8. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Love `em all. LOVE `EM!! But I think Curse of Frankenstein is my favourite of the bunch, maybe of all Hammers. Plus, it has one of the sickest stunts I've ever seen in a movie.
    When Peter Cushing pushes the old guy off the railing and he lands on his freaking HEAD?! Ugh, I cringe every time I see it.

9. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

For me, Horror of Dracula is definitely the best of the three. Beyond that one, I prefer several other Hammer films to the other two, but if I had to rank only those three it would be:

1--Horror of Dracula
    2--Curse of Frankenstein
    3--The Mummy

10. Severn

Severn Member

That's like asking me which testicle I like more (referring to my own). Seriously I love all of those but I'd give the narrow edge to Dracula.

11. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Curse of Frankenstein is my favorite Hammer film.

I'd rank them like this:

The Curse of Frankenstein
    Horror Of Dracula
    The Mummy

The Mummy is definitely the least of the 3 but it's still a very good film.

12. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

IMO "The Mummy" is part of Hammer's big three, Lee is one mean and menacing mummy and the whole movie oozes with old-Hammer atmosphere. HoD is still king though, so I'll put "The Mummy" second, and CoF (which always disappointed me somewhat) third. Lee stands out in these three movies, IMHO putting Cushing in the shadow.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

While most seem to prefer HORROR,I personally like CURSE more,I just find it more layered and compelling(it's remarkably frank for the period,like Cushing's romantic life etc.).Saying that,I think they're all terrific,fine films in the great British tradition.My list....
    1.CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
    2.HORROR OF DRACULA
    3.THE MUMMY

14. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Horror of Dracula rules the roost. Lee really gave Drac some character in his run as the character.