Which Post Friday the 13th film is the best?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by snowbeast323, Nov 24, 2008.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Following the release of Friday the 13th in 1980 a lot of similar films followed.
    My personal favourites are:

The Final Terror

The Burning

Madman

Sleepaway Camp

Which post Friday movies do you guys like?

Snowbeast

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I see Sleepaway Camp as a work of genius, besting Friday the 13th. Which of course is one of the reasons I'm so hard on Part 2: Unhappy Campers. It's absolutely bizarre and impossible to figure out, the constant blurring of gender lines and defying sexual stereotypes (or intensely just pointing them out in a campy, fun, over the top way) is incredible. I've never seen a film this perverse that seems to know exactly what it's doing. It's not just a simple slasher for me. It's a legend.

3. geeare

geeare Guest

The Burning

4. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Sleepaway Camp

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'll go with Madman - so much of it is beautifully and skillfully shot, and even with its obvious shortcomings, it's an enjoyable movie with a nice mix of scares and camp.

I am also a fan of The Burning and Sleepaway Camp, of course.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

dido same here

7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

wow it is tough for me. either btwn The Burning and Sleepaway camp. but i think i will give Sleepaway Camp the edge, b/c it is one of my all time fave slashers, has some really original and inventive kills, and of course: the ending.

I still also really like The Burning(incredible gore, good plot, and likable characters) and Madman(good cinematography, awesome killer, great kills) but Sleepaway Camp is just so bizzare, and i LOVE IT!

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely say The Burning. Madman's a close second. Sleepaway Camp is just...well...I dunno. All it has going for it is the ending. I love the movie, but it takes itself WAYYYYYY too seriously for it to be even remotely comprehensible. Its sequels had far more inventive kills. (However, Sleepaway definitely had one of the greatest trailers, though, along with Prom Night.)

~Matt

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Are we talking strictly ''summer camp massacre"films or post 1980 slashers ? If it's just camping flicks then I would have a hard time picking one.THE BURNING boasts memorable kills and SLEEPAWAY CAMP (like the film or not) has an unforgettable fadeout.

If we're talking slashers in general I admire THE PROWLER.It's one of the more brutal of the 80's slashers and boasts what Tom Savini calls his best work.Nicely shot,solidly acted and well scored.The 1940's prologue gives it some atmosphere too.Director Joseph Zito went on to helm FRIDAY THE 13TH PT.4.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I could never really get into The Prowler, I dunno. It's very moody (has a GREAT chase sequence in the sorority house) but the rest of it is rather...meh. It lags, and much of the movie goes absolutely nowhere. They go and investigate in an old house....there's a bang, some moody music and...nothing. Absolutely nothing happens!

I'll give the movie credit for its gore, though, it's unbelievably realistic. It's the only reason I kept the DVD (and that brilliant chase scene, probably one of the best ever for a slasher film.) The opening's good too, if only this movie had more going for it. In the end, it's ultimately a letdown.

~Matt

11. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

My Bloody Valentine of all the ones I've seen, the Prowler I couldnt get into. Hated the Burning was just so boring.

12. Kim Bruun

I didn't feel let down at all. But then, a great chase scene is the crowning achievement of a good slasher for me. But then, I love most of the slashers I've seen - Black Christmas, Halloween (+ II, 4, and 5), Friday the 13th (+ 2 and 3), The Burning, Hell Night, The House on Sorority Row, Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, and yes, The Prowler. The pace, the atmosphere, the suspense, and the jolts all work for me. :)

I never could get into Terror Train, though...

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha really? I've long considered Terror Train to be the best slasher film (or one of the best) to come out of the '80s. I've really never understood why people liked The Prowler. The movie goes nowhere.

~Matt

14. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Doesn't anyone like The Final Terror????

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

While it's not one of my favorites,TERROR TRAIN does have a nice ''reveal" at the end.Curtis is always welcome in a horror film and Ben Johnson being on board gets it some good will from me,always liked his work.John Alcott gives it a nice look.Still,it's kind of upper middle of the pack for me.A lot of people love it though,and I wouldn't dream of telling them they are wrong.Eye of the beholder I guess,nothing wrong with that.

16. Kim Bruun

Terror Train had potential with the costume changing concept - unfortunately, the audience always knows, at least at key moments, which costume the killer is in, so no suspense generated there. And the actor playing the killer is a frail waif of a man who looks like he could snap in two in a gentle breeze. He comes off as a weirdo, yes, but not an intimidating one. I judge a slasher film on whether or not it delivers the scares. Terror Train doesn't.

There are also a few technical things I don't like, such as the jerky cut in mid hysteria after the nerd-to-be-killer discovers that Jamie Lee Curtis is a corpse.

17. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Oh I know, Terror Train, I was just like god this is s**te all the way through it.

18. Kim Bruun

Terror Train could have been good, but it drops the ball on the jolts and the suspense, and it has quite possibly the least menacing killer in slasherdom.

Prom Night may be the less ambitious movie, but it surpasses Terror Train with one of the strongest early 80's chase scenes - and it doesn't even give it to Jamie Lee!

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

are you kidding?? the chase scene with jamie in Terror train is way better than the one in Prom night.

20. Kim Bruun

I didn't feel the suspense in Terror Train. The Prom Night chase was editing for sudden effectiveness. Terror Train doesn't achieve the effect with me. Maybe the location of the train doesn't help either. Basically, there's only one way to go.