Which Spielberg horror film do you like better?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Cujo108, Oct 3, 2001.

?

Which Spielberg horror film do you like better?

1. Duel

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Jaws

47 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Both of these are classics in my book! Pick which one you think is better.

2. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Both are classics, but Duel is a personal favorite. Spielberg and Matheson gave us one nail biter of a story. Pretty damn good for a TV movie! Even Spielberg haters might enjoy it.

3. RAYMOND BUSH

RAYMOND BUSH Guest

He makes horror movies? Oh yeah, there's HOOK, 1942, and ALWAYS!! Really though I love Spielberg, but is he really a horror director? He makes thrillers, I'd say. All true horror films have:
    GORE, VIOLENCE, ODDNESS, and R RATINGS. The only real Spielberg movie I'd call a horror film is perhaps Saving Private Ryan. The first 20 minutes are horrific. WAR IS HELL! Jaws, Duel, JP, and other Spielberg flicks offer some great scary moments. Still not horror though.

4. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Sorry, but Duel and Jaws are both horror films in my opinion. They are the only two horror films he has ever made.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well...he kind of made Poltergeist, but that's another story :)

I love Duel, but kind of suffers because it is a TV film and lacks the gloss of a widescreen production. I pick Jaws overall based on its beautiful photography, memorable score, and some truly great dialogue, not to mention the classic story.

I love how Spielberg used to truck sound from Duel for the shark sounds in Jaws too!

6. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

I chose Duel though I love Jaws equally. They are both such fine films but since Duel has been announced as an upcoming 2002 Special Edition , I figure I would honor it with my vote. Go to the link I provided in the General Forum to link to future realease announcements from all the major studios.

7. keith70

keith70 Guest

Speilberg did do one other horror movie. He did a film called Something Evil back in the early 70's. It was a made for tv movie, but so was Duel. He also directed several episodes of Rod Serling's(Twilight Zone) Night Gallery.

Out of the ones listed, I think Duel is more enjoyable than Jaws to me, but Jaws definitely influenced quite a few directors. There is a parody of Jaws at the begining of Airplane. Lethal Weapon 2, National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon, Chasing Amy and a few other films copy the scene wear the two characters are comparing their scars and trying to top the other.

8. Chucky P

Chucky P Guest

It has to be JAWS hands down

9. MovieFan

MovieFan Guest

Duel, hands down.

Now if Poltergeist was in this poll... :)

10. Im going with jaws since its one of his first movies ive seen its a classic i love the explosion at the end:)

11. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Jaws..I still dont go in the water.

12. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

DUEL's a rad movie, but JAWS is one of my all-time favorites, since I first started watching movies... I can't believe I forgot to put it on my list in the other thread.

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

C'mon! What are you guys smoking?!? I love DUEL, but it is definitely a notch below JAWS.

14. John

John Guest

Jaws is too great of a flick to pass on.

15. Broken

Broken Guest

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Duel. Jaws is much more Impressive (and more expensive of course) but Duel delivers thanx to clever film making. Jaws is a great film, but personality goes a long way.

17. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Didn't Steven Speilberg direct Poltergeist? It's my favorite Speilberg movie, I guess.

Jaws WAS good but it's came on TNT and TBS so many times and little brother watched it almost every time I'm sick of it. Never saw Duel.

18. John

John Guest

He basically did. Tobe Hooper is the official director, but Speilberg had to give 'creative input'. It is very similar to Zombi 3 (Fulci & Mattei) in the sense that it is a 'shared' project.

I finally finished Duel. My Tivo had only caught half of it the first time I tried to watch it. I finally saw the rest. It was a good flick, but I still prefer Jaws.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I picked Jaws, but didn't he direct 1/4 of The Twilight Zone movie. The first segment i think, where that actor and two kids actually died. I remember the footage of them dying being shown on HBO awhile back. Gross stuff. Anywho, Jaws is bad ass.

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Nah, Landis directed that segment and had to deal with the aftermath (no pun intended) of the accident with legal problems, court cases, etc.

I'm really surprised that footage was actually shown though, and on HBO no less. I thought it was destroyed, but I guess not.