Which Torso DVD is the best??

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

There's three different versions I know of:
    AB's Torso http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630579720X/qid=1074428568/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8062733-5743123?v=glance&s=dvd
    The XRated one http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1140 and
    an Italian one (Alan Young Pictures) http://www.absurd-online.dk/shop/productinfo.asp?id=988

The XRated one's AR is 1.66:1 and the other two are 1.85:1 Anamorphic!

I know that the a/v quality of AB's version is better than the XRated one,but doesn't have many extras.But...the Italian (AYP) version is from the original negative, has English audio AND commentary by Martino (in English or subtitled I don't know) so my question is which one to buy??

2. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=16561

As I noted in that earlier thread, the A/V is better on the Anchor Bay release, but the extras are better on the X-Rated release.

EDIT: And to answer your question, i'd buy the Anchor Bay version, because A/V is more important to me than extras.

3. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i definetly need a region free DVD player............ i want that R2 pal X-rated kult version , those extras kick ass

4. Crystal Plumage

I think I'll go with the AB version for that same reason.
    But does anyone here know about the a/v of the Italian disc?

5. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I'd actually recommend the German X-Rated release, it's brighter and I prefer the framing on that one, overall it's more pleasing on the eye and looks correctly framed to me. The AB disc looks a bit more cramped and it's also a bit too dark IMO, but I love this cult flick so much I'm collecting all the different releases I can get my hands on. (VHS as well.) I haven't bought the Italian one yet but it's just a matter of time, too bad the ever so lovely Kendall was dubbed in what is probably her best (genre) performance.

[​IMG]

6. Crystal Plumage

I read that the OAR for this movie is actually 1.85.1,so the framing on the XRated disc isn't correct.

7. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The Italian disc doesn't look THAT bad, certainly watchable, but the AB DVD has better A/V, hands down. It depends how much extras mean to you.

8. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I prefer the release from XRated, the framing just looks more right to me, but each to his own of course, or whatever they say.

9. K'

K' Guest

Where did you you read this?
    I always thought 1,66:1 was the OAR, and that's the reason why I picked up the X-Rated release.

10. Crystal Plumage

I got it from http://www.superwonderscope.com/gialloe.htm.

L'ARMA L'ORA IL MOVENTE de Francesco Mazzei 1973 avec Renzo Montagnani, Bedy Moratti, Eva Czemerys available Video PAL Italian Version Widescreen (Review available)

CORPI PRESENTANO TRACCE DI VIOLENZA CARNALE by Sergio Martino 1973 with Suzy Kendall, Tina Aumont, Luc Merenda (F :?. USA : TORSO) 1.85 :1. Available DVD ZONE 1

LA DAMA ROSSA UCCIDE 7 VOLTE by Emilio P. Miraglia 1973 with Barbara Bouchet, Marina Malfatti, Sybil Danning (F : LA DAME ROUGE TUA 7 FOIS . USA : ?.) Techniscope 2.35:1
    GIORNATA NERA PER L’ARIETE by Luigi Bazzoni 1973 with Franco Nero, Ira de Furstenberg (F : JOUR MALEFIQUE. USA: THE FIFTH CORD) 1:85.1 Available video PAL UK Widescreen
    MIO CARO ASSASSINO by Tonino Valerii 1973 with (F:?.USA: MY DEAR KILLER) Scope 2.35 :1 Available video PAL UK Widescreen
    NON SI SEVIZIA UN PAPERINO by Lucio Fulci 1973 with Barbara Bouchet, Florinda Bolkan, George Wilson (F : LA LONGUE NUIT DE L’EXORCISME. USA : DON’T TORTURE A DUCKLING) Scope 2 :35.1. Available DVD ZONE1 Widescreen

RED KILLER by Leon Klimovski 1973 avec Paul Naschy (F:?.USA:?) 1.85:1

SETTE SCIALLI DI SETTA GIALLA by Sergio Pastore 1973 avec Sylva Koscina, Antony Steffen, Renato de Carmine (F:?.USA:?) Scope 2.35:1
    TERZA IPOTESI SU UN CASO DI PERFETTA STRATEGIA CRIMINALE by Joseph Warren (Giuseppe Vari) 1973 with Lou Castel, Beba Loncar, Adolfo Celi (F : STRATEGIES CRIMINELLES. USA : ?) 1.66:1
    TROPICO DEL CANCRO (AL) by Eduardo Mulargia 1973 with Anthony Steffen, Anita Strindberg (F: AU TROPIQUE DU CANCER. USA : ?) Scope 2.35 :1 available Video PAL Italian Version Widescreen

Don't know if it's a totally reliable source though...

11. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

There's a version getting released in the Uk soon as well. Personally I preferred the shorter re-scored version of this film. I don't normally support any type of tampering, but this was one exception where the American distributor's tamper jsut worked better for me. I was disappointed with AB for not including it as an alternate version on thier disk.

12. Crystal Plumage

Ah!Any info?Anchor Bay UK or someone?

13. Crystal Plumage

Oh no, AB UK already released it.........

14. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

Its not AB UK, its some other tiny label who's name I've forgotten, they ebat ABUK to it.

15. Crystal Plumage

Keep me updated!

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Torso in a few years and only once at that, so I'm not really an expert on this movie. But regardless of Anchor Bay claiming their release is "uncut", isn't it missing a few scenes? I seem to remember that as being the main reason why I never bought it.

17. Crystal Plumage

From www.mondo-digital.com I found this:

18. Crystal Plumage

It seems that the AB version is hard to get these days.
    Almost all internet stores I looked the disc is not available.
    Does this mean they're running out of them??I suppose it was one of AB's first discs.Are they still pressing it or do I have to buy it while I can?
    Does Bill Lustig have the rights to this one?(would be nice)

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I just wanted to add a litle to this thread. I just sat through the AB US disc for the first time.

Firstly, it's definately a nice little giallo. It follows all the conventions, and delivers in all the right places. The AB disc looks astonishing to my eyes, no speckles, no grain, and a super sharp image. I have no idea if this is the best A/V for this title out there, but it is certainly a case where I honestly find it hard to imagine it gets much better. As for the "framing", well I'm no expert, but honestly, there is nothing at all wrong with what I just watched. Movie experts into the minutae might find it a pixel out or something, but I noticed no such thing. It looked perfect to me.

On the down side, the english language track is pretty shrill. They do include the italian though, which sounded better. There's a total lack of bass in the english track, and the voices seem a bit low in volume - so you have to turn it up quite a bit to hear it, which of course, does not help with the shrillness.

Also, for a giallo, well let's just say there are gorier ones out there. This one has the potential to be very gory, but it never goes there.

There is plenty of T and A, and even a lesbian sequence, but when it threatens to go hardcore, everything is obscured or cut away. There are breasts a plenty though, but never any full frontal nudity (I mention this only in case others care about it, it doesn't detract from the movie itself, of course).

The best part about this movie though are the locations. Wow, there are some great shots of small Italian villages in this one, really stunning. The movie starts at a university, before moving into the countryside, and in many ways it feels like two films. For me, it never really took of until the girls went to the villa. Once they did though, it starts to get very good indeed. I'd say the first half of the film is a 7 out of 10, the second half is a 9. The last 20 minutes (which I won't ruin) are superb.

All in all then, the AB US disc is excellent - even if the sound is a bit thin, and the extras (just two trailers) are pretty scarce. The film itself is definately worth checking out. Actually, if you're a giallo fan, it's hard for me to understand why you wouldn't rush out and get it today. It's that good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  20. Crystal Plumage

Thanks.And this version is still the cheapest one around.
    Now I'm definitely going to buy the AB one!!