Who remembers Sunn Classic Pictures??

Discussion in 'Classic' started by FilmFiend, Sep 5, 2010.

1. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

Does anybody remember those Sunn Classic Pictures documentaries that flooded the theaters during the 1970s??? The Mysterious Monsters, Beyond and Back, The Amazing World of Psychic Phenomenon, In Search of Noah's Ark,and The Bermuda Triangle were some of the joys this company released.

I had NO IDEA this place was still in business. They seem to have only eight employees including REB (Captain America) BROWN! He is the Vice President or something. Also TIM CONWAY seems to work for them too. Check out there website.

It looks like they want to build a Sunn Classic Pictures Theme Park!! Are they going to have a Loch Ness Log Water Ride? A Noah Ark's Ride? A Bermuda Triangle ride where you disappear for a few hours?

They have a website www.sunnclassicpicturesinc.com and they also have a Facebook page.

2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I remember going to see The Bermuda Triangle in theaters...and also the saturation ad campaigns that were unleashed for each one of their releases.
    If nothing else, I am thrilled to know that Pinocchio in the Hood is in pre-production!

3. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Didn't they also release or produce "The Boogens"? Are they the ones holding up a DVD release?

4. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Saw a couple of their boring documentaries at the drive-in. Their TV spots would always end with the voice-over "Now playing in Kern and Inyo Counties!" as if that was some kind of coup. I guess the rubes out there were under-served and would go see anything.

No offense intended, as the stuff I enjoy is indefensible.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Oh hell yes!!! The Mysterious Monsters was kick ass. I can remember watching it on TV as well, and the Bigfoot sequences scared the shit of me!! :lol: Plus, Bigfoot was depected in that film as kind of nasty and mean, not to mention downright ugly. I also remember the Bermuda Triangle. God, what great days those were. I grew up during the 70's and it was a decade that was simply a lot of fun. Then the me, me, me, decadent 80's rolled in and everything fell to shit. :cry:

6. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

They had more employee on the website last year. One was old actor Dale Robertson! It's hard to make films these days when video stores are not around anymore. Selling 30 copies to netflix can't pay to make a movie.

all Sunn Classic films from the heydays is owned by Paramount Pictures. BOOGENS was Jensen/Farley films, but made by Sunn Classic people. He sold the film to paramount also.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw IN SEARCH OF NOAH'S ARK and THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE in the theater as a child.Those pseudo docs were kind of fun.I would think someone might be able to sell a box set of those films to nostalgia minded folks who grew up with that stuff.

Didn't SUNN also produce a super cheap looking version of HOUSE OF USHER with Martin Landau in it ?

8. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Those Sunn films were so great. I don't know how many times I watched Outer Space Connection or Mysterious Monsters. I even have tons of one sheets for them.
    Hope they get SE reissues on DVD. I have all of them on VHS.

9. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I have some of their one-sheets, lobby cards, and even paperback books for some of the films released. I found a Mysterious Monsters paperback at Goodwill a few years ago.

I also saw Mysterious Monsters and Beyond and Back at the theater. Many of Sunn's films enjoyed a good run on television in the 70s and 80s. I still think in the early 90s you could catch Mysterious Monsters on TBS and TNT. You won't see their films on TV again.