Who wants to see Asia Argento directed by her father in a GOOD movie? Who to co-star?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Matt_Stevens, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

Just curious, as there is a script written for them that is not crud like PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

What U.S. actor under age 30 that is at least somewhat known would be good to co-star againt her? He has to be in decent shape, good looking and he must be able to ACT! The role calls for a scientificly thinking man who ends up becoming posessed by the power of God.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Dream Couple

how about me? :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2001
  3. K'

K' Guest

Whenever I want to see Asia Argento in a good movie directed by her father I watch my Stendhal Syndrom DVD :D

For a new project I think James Masters would be cool.

4. mystro

mystro Guest

Asia is Hot, how 'bout her sister? Why can't her sister star opposite Asia. Would that be cool??

5. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

IMHO, <i><b>Trauma</i></b> is a good film...

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

I've yet to see Trauma because it can only be found round here in a cut pan & scan job and that is just not acceptable for a 2.35:1 film. Yuck.

What is the deal with the delay on this one for DVD?!

7. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Asia is hot! But, this belongs in EuroHorror... you guys are givin' me a workout today! ;)

8. Nilbog

Nilbog Guest

I'm I the only one who liked The Stendahl Syndrome?Imho,it is a pretty disturbing film.

9. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

No. I think you'll find there are quite a few fans of the movie on the boards. I thought it was a well-made and gripping film. I've said it before but it's a future classic.

10. RJMacReady

RJMacReady Guest

I also liked Trauma. The story was pretty good and the kills where cool.

I haven't seen Stendhal Syndrom yet. Accually my friend borrowed it from someone he knew so I can finally see it. :)

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Stendhal

I , and probably the majority of Argento fans, found Trauma a mediocre film, especially by this director's standards, and the (very) bad reviews that followed Stendhal Syndrome almost had me convinced that the "Maestro" had "lost it". What a relief it was when I viewed the film at the Athens International Film Festival! It is not that it is his best film since Tenebre .

Not ONLY that.

Let's take it from the beginning. Stendhal's Syndrome is a "mind disease". It's symptoms are dizziness and hallucinations when the sufferer is exposed to paintings and artistic masterpieces. A woman (Asia Argento) enters a museum. She suddenly enters the paintings' worlds in great Argento tradition. She emerges and returns to a hotel room where we discover that she has total amnesia.

Next scene:
    A hotel room. Asia's getting up, faces a small painting on the wall and dives into it. Through the painting she discovers her past (what a great directorial idea). She is a policewoman whose mission is to hunt down her rapist. Too bad he found her first. A minute afterwards she is brutally raped in one of the most shocking scenes in Argento's filmography.

It is the next take that caught me by surprise. Asia, facing a mirror, while she realizes in real horror what has happened to her, takes a pair of scissor and cuts of her hair. Never in his career, has Dario Argento showed such sentimentalism for his leading character. Let me put it differently: We couldn't care less about Jessica Harper's fate in Suspiria , right?

Instead, this time we really care about Asia, we hurt, we scream silently each time we come to know her better and better. Take notice that it is not the gore scenes that shock us most in Stendhal Syndrome but the scenes where she injures her self with pins and paperclips (this sent shivers down the spines of the audience of the packed 600 seated theatre in Athens). There's only a drop of blood in these scenes but the effect they have is enormous! Argento has reached the major point of his maturity as a director there.Many have said that the whole family sequence could be thrown away. How foolish! These scenes are extremely important to create a psychological profile of this tragic character, the most tragic Argento ever created.

Finally, at the end (where the script takes a big - yet believable - twist), the viewer cannot hide his sympathy for her, although I will not reveal the film's ending. I caught some spectators (most of them female) with tears in their eyes and who could blame them!

I give "The Stendhal Syndrome" 4.5 out of 5 and that only because somewhere in the "center" the pace gets a bit slow. But then again, nobody said that "Stendhal" is an easy film...

Argento may not be the future of horror cinema anymore. But he is it's stunning present.

(taken from my review of the film from www.darkdreams.org)

12. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Tartan in the UK is preparing a Spec Ed. I thought it was a pretty darn good Argento film. It had:
    - Argento direction
    - Tom Savini effects
    - Asia Argento topless
    What else to you want, you savages :)

13. mystro

mystro Guest

Can someone tell me about Asia's sister? Is she as hot as Asia?

14. K'

K' Guest

Fiore Argento play the tourist girl that gets murdered in the intro of Phenomena. I my opinion she is not as hot as Asia.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Fiore is more "cute" than hot. She looked pretty good in Demons. Her and Asia have different mothers. I wonder how Asia will age, since she looks exactly like her dad, and that's pretty scary!

Trauma is my least favorite Argento film (more than Phantom!), and Savini's effects aren't his best effort either. Asia does look good topless though, the film's saving grace.

To add to Chaostar's comments on Stendhal, what I really liked about it, is that the twist ending he mentions above is really NOT a twist ending once you watch it a second time. Everything in the movie steers towards that conclusion, but you've been misdirected the whole time. Great movie.

16. RAYMOND BUSH

RAYMOND BUSH Guest

Asia Argento: Queen of the Horror Geeks!:D

17. mystro

mystro Guest

According to IMDB, Fiore is also in an uncredited role in Trauma, as the Farraday Clinic's receptionist.

18. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

you got a point there, raymond :D but i dont think i'm a geek :rolleyes:

19. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

Topless, eh? And she must have been young at the time. Hmmm... :D

How is TARTAN's reputation with DVD's? Do they do new 16X9 transfers, or just crapola 4:3 stuff?

20. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Pretty young, but still pretty stacked... :)

Tartan do pretty good transfers now. Anamorphic with good pic. Rind and Audition were anyhow.