Whodunit, Who Cares?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by j tea, Aug 31, 2009.

1. j tea

j tea New Member

When I saw Rhett's Whodunit contest it made me think of movies where when you find out whodunit you say "hm, i didnt even know he was in the movie" and then turn off the teevee. Slashers or gialli seem to be notorius for this.

The worst offender I can think of is F13 part 5. Id almost rather turn it off just before the reveal, it would make the rest of the movie so much more enjoyable.

Are there any that leave you flat?

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

The worst offender for me was I WILL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER. You spend the whole movie trying to figure out which suspect it could be and then
    it turns out it was a demon. There was no supernatural hinting before or anything, it's as if the writers were like "shit, we ran out of suspects...uh, just make him an apparition."
    Talk about playing with the wrong deck.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Regardless of my enjoyment of the film, I always thought the killers in Scream 2 came way out of left field. They were in the film for maybe a total of a half hour combined.

And, there's always Roy Burns in Friday the 13th: A New Beginning. Even though basically every scene he's in he might as well be screaming "I'M THE KILLER!", he doesn't really have much importance in the story until the last five minutes.

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

As much as I love the movie and what Betsy Palmer brought to it, I think the original FRIDAY THE 13th reveal was pretty lame. Even Betsy said she felt it was a cheat and she should have made an appearance at some point earlier in the film.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

(SPOILERS - big time!)

I think that's how I felt about Scream 3's killer(s). Only... I swear I don't usually spend any time trying to guess who the killer is. I sometimes think about it. But whenever I guess, I'm always wrong. So I stopped guessing early. If you do- Black Christmas will drive you insane.

But when I look back on it now, Scream 2's choice of killers was downright brilliant. I think I heard originally it was supposed to be the boyfriend Derek and the best-friend Hallie, and... maybe a third killer, I'm not sure. And, well- that makes absolutely no sense, character wise. Jerry O'Connell would have made a lousy killer and then, you just know they were going to make him a cheater who was in love with Hallie or something. Or, make her in love with him. And then- what happened to Micky? He can't just completely disappear. They barely made it work that Joel left. At least when he did, he got a slight ounce of a dramatic moment out of it.

The way it is now, Micky and Debbie Salt come off a little silly and whacked. But there is some real bite to their dialogue, it can't be denied. I can't even imagine what the dialogue would have been in an ending where Derek and Hallie were the killers. I mean- we can't forget what the point of the killer's reveals was in the first movie. It was about violence in movies and where we put the blame.

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you Rhett. The ending of this waste of time made no sense at all. And what was up with the Colorado setting? Lots of fishing ports in the Rocky Mountains for sure. :rolleyes:

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well having seen THE EYES OF LAURA MARS I knew the killer in OPERA from the first 10 minutes. And I was very young at the time, so I was like, °no, it cant be it!°. But then it gave me the opportunity to focus on other things on the film like the direction and it didnt really mattered at the end.

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

One that springs to mind is Dutch film Amsterdamned. Now I don't know how many of you actually saw that one? The ending is one big "WTF?" .

9. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

OMG you actually saw that piece of poop? I love the first 2 films & avoided the 3rd film. Anyway Rhett why did you never review Diary Of The Dead? I would have loved to see you tear apart both of these films!