Why do AB covers have to SUCK!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by crank, Dec 12, 2001.

1. crank

crank Guest

Now don't get me wrong, I am absolutly tickled pink that Anchor Bay are releasing Michele Soavi's Stage Fright, and The Church on DVD, but my god. I personally thought that both of those movies had AWSOME cover art in the past, especially The Church. What is AB thinking with those covers, I'm sorry but they are terrible. And that Photoshop fire on the Title line for The Church. It's like Don't Torture a Duckling and Deep Red all over again.

crank

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

oh my god

yo i was JUST about to post this typa thing about the Stage Fright cover. its pure garbage.

Jeff

3. crank

crank Guest

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks so. I used to love that old (I think it was Thriller Video, but I could be wrong) cover with the big creepy owl sort of just hovering there. I think the problem is that EC keeps putting these movies out first, and using the cool cover art. Then AB not wanting their discs to look exactly the same grabs some crappy spanish lobby card or something, sticks it in the Ol' Scanner and lets some Copy Jocky at Kinko's make a cover at $9.50 an hour.

Both EC's releases for The Black Cat and House By the Cemetary had MUCH cooler art than AB's releases, and they both came out first. As did Stagefright. Oh well, rant over.

crank

4. Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie Guest

where

where did you find them? I can not. Please tell me?! thanks.
    ps, their cover are lame most of the time.

5. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

The covers are on the main page of horrordvds.com

6. Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie Guest

thanks for the quick response! Found them.

7. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I kind of like the new dvd artwork for Stage Fright,very unusual. The original vhs was from a company called Imperial Entertainment Corp.,It actually (for some strange reason) used a hawks head instead of an owl's. I actually prefer the A.B.'s versions artwork over the old domestic vhs's. But I will admit,I do prefer the EC dvd artwork over AB's.
    I also like the artwork for Mountain of the Cannibal God, which I think is far better than EC's.
    The artwork for "The Church" isn't all that great it, reminds me way to much of the Children Of The Corn artwork.
    But ,after reading Dave's preview for the Evil Dead packaging be honest...Anchor Bay will be releasing the absolute best package design of any dvd distributor to date domestic or otherwise. I think this package is going to be a huge trend-setter in the dvd industry. They're really pulling through for us Evil Dead fans with this one.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2001
  8. Average-upper priced DVDs with bootleg/cheapo covers. That is what Anchor Bay has turned into. When they stick to the classic covers like Maniac, Opera, and Suspiria, they do fine,..... but 80% of the time they use a half retarded cover artist or scour the Phillipines for the cheapest covers they can find. Ugh. Well, thankfully I dont display my DVDs cover up, who does? But, this kind of thing hurts sales for newbies at Best But and such, who no doubt will look at AB's Stage Fright and say, 'What a piece of shit that must be."

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm not going to say I like all of Anchor Bay's artwork choices but I will give them much greater credit than "bootleg/cheapo covers". Yes, AB's House By The Cemetery for example had pretty lame artwork but atleast the artwork was truthful,It actually shows you what Dr. Fruedstien looks like.The EC release shows a totally different figure holding a knife.That artwork would lead the casual horror disc buyer to believe it was an 80's slasher type flick. The EC dvd/laser artwork is superior to what AB used but unfortunaty the EC artwork is also superior to the film it's presenting. And lets not forget that all of Anchor Bay's transfers blow EC's out of the water.
    Anchor Bay is a blessing to film collectors.Thier first dvd releases back in 98 were a little shaky but they have since built up a great reputation with genre fans. I would also never call them "average-upper priced dvds" especially since thier standard releases are now carrying a msrp of 19.99. And,the product they release is anything but average. It just confuses me that anyone would say that Anchor Bay is going down hill when one month from now we'll be seing (courtousy of anchor bay) extended uncut versions of Cut and Run and Mountain of the Cannibal God hitting local store shelves. And if that wasn't enough they both include featurettes, and other great extras. You guys think getting Deodato and Martino to do interviews,presentations etc. is cheap and easy? Hell no,and it's amazing that AB is doing it,especially for such low priced releases.I think some fans just take too much for granted. Horror fans have never had it so good, so I guess its just natural for some to turn into spoiled little brats.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2001
  10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i wish all companys would just stick to the original VHS cover art, in my opinion most of the time it was better. I dunno if i find it better because of nostalga or what, but i do. I like a good amount of Anchor Bay covers, but stuff like Stage Fright and (especially!!) Day of the Dead covers SUCK!!, while the ones that are the original art (like said before) Maniac, Opera etc are awesome. I also wasnt too fond of Deep Reds cover.. that woulda been a sweet cover had they stuck to the original poster art.
    While on the subject of cover art, i absolutly hate the Dont Torture a Duckling cover.. i am not too familiar with the film, so im not sure if that was the original art or not, but either way, that one blows hard.

Jeff

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I like The Church's cover :eek: .

12. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

I also like the church cover but stage fright cover sucks

13. I understand your aggravation. We haven't. Thank God for AB. I love all these flms coming out I never had a chance to see. And I love them all.
    But in all honesty I think people are just bitching to bitch. I really don't think they pray for the collapse of AB or any other lame-cover-producing company. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think this is the case.

14. crank

crank Guest

Hey, I'm not bitching to bitch. I LOVE Anchor Bay, don't get me wrong. I own about 150 DVDs, and around 50 of them are AB. Thats a third, and I intend to get most every Genre title they put out next year.

I'm just griping because I happened to love the art on both of those films, and have been looking forward to having it proudly packaged with my new AB DVD's for a while, and was VERY bummed when I saw what they had done.

crank

PS - I thought that Lamberto Bava's Macbre was probably one of the worst AB cover hack jobs.

15. I dont need a lecture, I've been in the underground, back alley theater, bootleg video horror-cult-genre film market for about 25 yrs.
    Uhhhh, Average to upper priced means, they release average, moderate priced as well as special editions, upper priced. And, like you said the price drop was a recent thing.
    Read the comments again- No one did.
    Once again, dont need a lecture. All anyone has said was that the covers –just the covers- are very hit and miss. Sure, we all know the films are great, the DVDs are great, but what I'm trying to say, is your average movie buyer or casual fan is going to look at a bad cover and just see a bad cover. I've watched many a movie buyer pick up or glance over Anchor Bay DVDs and laugh them off, undoubtedly because the cover art stinks, and then go pick up Species 2 or something instead. You honestly think most general movie buyers are going to pick up Deep Red and shell out $20 for it based on the cover art? All I’m saying is, bad cover art, makes for bad sales. Anchor Bay could be ten times better with larger profits, and that depends on sales, and sales depends on presentation. So, get down off your high horse and read the posts better before you go around calling people "brats", jerk.
    Yeah, and for the record Diamond released Mountain (Slave) of the Cannibal God over a year ago, and used an uncut laserdisc print. Cheap, but well worth every penny of the scant $5 they charged.

16. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Black-Mandarin
    The diamond edition of "Slave of the Cannibal God" is not uncut.It is actually missing the castration scene that was present on the EC dvd.I'd also like to say that there never was a 2.35:1 ratio laserdisc release of MOTCG. EC had planned to make an ld release but scrapped that idea and released it on dvd only.I have seen a german pan and scan ld but this obviously was not used for diamond's release.
    When I referred to people saying AB is going down-hill I was commenting on not only your post ("This is what anchor bay is turning into" after the "cheapo/bootleg cover"comment) but many other past comments from anchor bay bashers. I believe anchor bay releases decent cover art a hell of alot more than 20% of the time.But,I have admitted that I don't like all of thier artwork choices. I just think they get way too much criticism. If anchor bay switched thier cover art style to resemble the artwork that attracts "blockbuster" fans who buy stuff like species 2 for the cover alone then you'd start to see me complain.That kind of "glitzy"artwork is what makes me,and I'm sure others sick.
    I didn't mean to "give you a lecture", I was simply voicing my opinion. And my post was not meant for you alone. There really was no reason for you to go into hyper-defensive mode,highlighting almost every quote I made.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2001
  17. Not hyper-defensive, just point-counter point. Not uncommon, and a good way to reply to several statements without getting bogged down. Anyway, enough said.

Darn, I swore th castration bit on Diamonds Cannibal God was on there,... but I guess 2AM veiwing will screw with your head.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2001