Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by frightfan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

what about the lovable peice of shit cheese classic Redneck Zombies? best shit movie ever!

2. Blue Holocaust

Blue Holocaust New Member

Manhattan Baby is Fulci's certainly worst film from his early 1980's period. But it's got some stuff going for it, pretty good looking photography at times, a cool main theme (although on the other hand I hated the recycling of The Beyond & Zombi 2 music), I liked the opening and the ending and it's got some decent atmosphere at times. Of course the bad more than outweigh the good, the plot is one of the most disastrous ever, the gore and fx are beyond cheesy and the acting is horrible (except the little girl which I think gives an ok performance). But it's still has some sort of weird appeal, plus the Anchor Bay dvd looks superb so I like to watch it from time to time.
    At least it's better than anything Fulci made post-1983... Aenigma, Zombi 3, Voices From Beyond, etc... They are all nearly unwatchable to me.

I think it's unfair to judge his whole oeuvre having only seen Manhattan Baby or one of his other extremely low budget entries...
    Zombi 2, The Beyond & City of the Living Dead are all masterpieces of visceral horror.
    And Don't Torture a Duckling, Seven Notes in Black, One on Top of the Other & A Lizard in Woman's Skin are all really nifty thrillers (his best stuff in my opinion).
    Plus New York Ripper, The Black Cat & House by the Cemetary which are pretty fine too. My horror dvd collection would be fairly dull without good old Fulci in it.

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I liked Bob's performance in Lamberto Bava's Demons (because he was there for just a couple of minutes ;)).
    I rented it once.Total shit!

4. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I've heard that Bob was in Demons but I'm trying to figure out who he was. Yes, I agree with you, Bob works best in small doses. A little bit of Bob goes a long way.

5. at the end of demons the surviving couple get a ride on a jeep, on it, eating something and even with some lines : BOB

but let's call him by his real name : giovanni frezza...you know what, let's start a new topic...

6. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Kick ass, we finally have a Bob umm... excuse me, Giovanni Frezza fan. Wow that's a cool name by the name. I'd like to be an Italian with a name like that. It's much better than Bob.

Okay I'm back from watching the end of Demons. He was pretty cool in that role. He was carrying a gun and looking like a tough little kid but the dubbing was still bad, not House By the Cemetary bad but still not great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2004
  7. his best performance, and it is a really great one, is in Warriors of the Wasteland aka New Barbarians. In that movie he plays a grown up who stopt growing after nuclear fallout...and he's completely believable!
    he's the best thing in the movie....he wait, let's change my avatar...

8. frightfan

frightfan New Member

Well Fulci has done it a few times by pure ineptitude then...
    :bs:
    I sincerely believe you joking here, but for those who took your comment seriously....

There is no inner meaning.. he just didn't give a flying fuck about telling a coherent story... there's nothing to "get" or "fill in for myself"... I dare you to sit through any Fulci movie and tell me honestly that it doesn't suck somehow... there's always something in that movie we wish was in American cinema, but lets face it... we want a story, dammit!

That said... if I ignore the storytelling and acting and horrible execution of "non-gore" special effects, I am able to give credit where it's due. His lighting/camerawork are always effective and often inventive... The sets were really cool as well usually... You can definitely pick out a Fulci scene - Take Zombi 3 for example - it's really easy to tell that the whole scene at the service center was pure Fulci. He was definitely at work on that scene himself... where as that silly green-facepaint-and-a-smock zombie chase around the docks was painfully obvious as being the work of the the shit-king Bruno Mattei.

But I won't be picking up Fulci again anytime soon, with the exception of The Beyond, which still intrigues me.

My reason for this intolerance is simple... there's too much good cinema out there to spend my time on that I refuse to be bothered finding meaning in schlock... if I want schlock, only Troma knows what I like. All others shall be left on the shelf by me.