Why does everyone HATE The Locals?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by killit, Aug 25, 2005.

1. killit

killit Active Member

I just bought this as no store in L.A. had a copy for rent. I really liked it and thought it was really fun. The lead is hot and that helps, but I think the the story and characters were well developed. In an age full of Alone in the Dark's, this is real solid. So share why do you hate this movie?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I didn't hate it, but it has its share of problems. Foremost is probably the terrible lighting of the film...some of the worst night lighting I've seen since Dark Harvest, which was a really terrible film I might add. At night, outdoors, it should look like night and not the inside of a K-Mart on a sunny day. If the lighting looks fake and unnatural, you're easily reminded that you're watching an amateur movie!

Also the plot had some real potential, but the script had some really corny dialogue and could have been developed much, much better.

I need to watch it again with the director's commentary track, which I hear is really hilarious.

3. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

The lighting was just horrible, but maybe I should give this one a second chance... although I remember not liking the story very much

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I basically agree with the two comments above. Only film I can remember that the lighting actually ruined a film for me. The story itself had potential but disappointingly kind of fell flat at the end. I may give it another try one of these days.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah it made me laugh when they were walking down the road with a flashlight to light their way despite the fact it was like day time.

The script had a good premise, i just didn't think it delivered. The acting was ok, but the directing needed work, and some of the shots they used, I found to be laughable. Like when they were looking in the window at the murder. I laughed hard because it looked so cheesy. Actually the acting in that part was pretty bad too now that I think of it. They looked like two guys who were told to like horrified.

I may try watching it again. At the very least, maybe it'll be good for a laugh or two. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. But I doubt it.

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Yeah.....like everyone else......the lighting was REALLY distracting.

7. HamishT

HamishT Guest

local lighting

the locals was lit by car headlights pointing in certain directions. I always though the lighting was quite creative, gives the movie a certain feel. Greg Page directs music videos (most of the bands in the movie).

I like the homage to Evil Dead and Bad Taste involved.

overall i thnk The Locals was a very good low budget movie.

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

just saw this on tv... eh, wasn't all that bad really, might watch it again when it repeats in an hour's time as i wasn't really paying much attention for the first half. Not the best low budget horror by a long way, but by no means a bad film

ps: why is this in euro horror when it's a kiwi film?