Why "Murder-Set-Pieces" is, for me, the DVD of the year...

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DVD Connoisseur, Nov 26, 2005.

1. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

There are many times that I purchase a DVD with high expectations and walk away a disappointed man. Many films don't deliver what's promised and turn out to be pale imitations of previous flicks. "Shocking" movies often turn out to be a walk in the park, a boring and tedious exercise in genre film-making.

When Murder Set Pieces slid into my machine in the early hours of this morning, I knew nothing about the film. I was expecting, in all honesty, a low-budget, fake snuff movie with a poor, amateurish cast and dodgy camerawork that would pass 90 minutes. Sometimes, this is enough. I like my thrills cheap and nasty, on occasion. In a way, I was viewing the film to "tick a box", to add to my list of "viewed movies".

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Murder-Set-Pieces is a fantastic return to the nasty, blood filled "nasties" of my early teens. It's a moral void, a well crafted, beautifully shot, nightmare of a film. I loved it.

This film surprised me on a number of levels. From the start, it's stylish. It's shot on 35mm rather than video. This film looks expensive (I think the budget was $2.2m). Think Argento meets Fulci and you have an idea as to how this film looks. Every shot looks great. Brendan Flynt, the cinematographer, makes the screen his glossy canvas for the blood splattered imagery that assaults the viewer. After the first minute, I knew this wasn't going to be a smooth ride.

The film has a plot. It's loose, it doesn't stand up to a great deal of scrutiny, but it has a story. I actually felt empathy with the female lead. I cared about the character. Nick Palumbo directs in a very competent manner. I was reminded of Maniac and New York Ripper when I watched this. It should appeal to the same audience.

Murder-Set-Pieces ' effects, from the Toetag guys, are breathtaking. There's one scene with everybody's favourite power tool that is, in my humble opinion, the best chainsaw scene we've seen on screen.

The acting's not half bad. The acting didn't bring me out of the movie. I found it convincing. And the actresses playing hookers and unfortunate models are simply gorgeous. I wasn't expecting such eye candy in a movie of this kind. A genuine surprise.

There are elements of this film that some will object to. I'm on the fence. Yes, there is the use of very young actors in this film. However, I'm sure that all the necessary precautions were taken to protect the young cast. If a horror movie's purpose is to shock and repel, to push boundaries, this film succeeds because it journeys to a very dark place. The world in Murder-Set-Pieces isn't a pleasant one.

Genre fans will recognise Tony Todd (the Candyman) and Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface) during the proceedings. The scene with Tony Todd in the adult bookstore's a corker. A real, left-of-field treat.

This DVD won't be around for long. I believe there's problems with the financiers over this uncut version. The money men will probably insist that the film is re-cut for the mainstream audience. When the DVD sells out, it's OOP. I doubt there'll ever be a second pressing of this S.E. Director's Cut.

The DVD looks gobsmacking. There's a smorgasbord of extras. For slasher fans who don't mind their thrills a little taboo-busting, this is one release that deserves adding to the collection. The last time I recommended a film for DVD of the year, it was Thriller: A Cruel Picture. I'll probably receive a verbal roasting for recommending this release over more mainstream films but, for me, it's those little gems that make the difference. This is a guilty pleasure, a film that makes you sit with the remote control in case somebody walks into the room while you're watching it. You don't want to try explaining this film to a non-horror fan. Trust me, they won't get it.

I wait with bated breath for Nick Palumbo's next movie. This guy has talent in abundance and a willingness to go where so few film-makers wish to tread.

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Well, you've managed to peak my interest! I want a copy!!! :)

Amazon only has a used copy so ... where can I buy??

3. b0nkers

b0nkers Guest

did you have any problems with the uk customs as i was thinking about ordering this but wasent sure if it was blacklisted

4. DVD Connoisseur

There are quite a few places selling this - Xploited, Poker, Sazuma, etc.

As for customs, it's a gamble. 3 photo labs refused to develop the original 35mm film and it's been banned by most film festivals. This is one hard hitting movie.

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm gonna snatch me a copy as it sounds like the contorversy surrounding this one may limit it in quantity. Even if that isn't so, I'll be getting it nonetheless since it sounds worth checking out.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I was totally excited to pick up MSP as a blind buy until I read this sentence. I, for one, was bored beyond comprehension by THRILLER. It took me three tries before I could watch the whole thing. Definitely disappointed after all the great things I'd heard about it.

So, honestly, is MURDER SET PIECES a step up??? Please say it is....(please?)

7. SaviniFan

I found Thriller to be sorely lacking and overhyped as well, but I believe these 2 films are completely different. I'm willing to give it a shot.

8. knewby

knewby Member

I could not agree with this review more.....He hit the nail on the head on every reason to pick this up. I too found it beautifully shot and quite violent. Don't go into this thinking its the most violent movie ever made because its not...its purely and simply a sleazy slasher that goes for the gut and the throat at the same time. A truly pleasant surprise. This movie is everything I wished Zombie's "Rejects" would be...............By all means seek this out.......................Larry

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I sure hope I can find a copy easily. This movie was on the top of my list to buy before I even knew anything about it. I'm a big Zombi fan and they did the entire score. Now I really need to hunt down a copy.

10. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

that's a great review dude. Hadn't heard of this one.

11. SaviniFan

Ordered at Xploited. I'm looking forward to checking this out. According to DiabolikDVD this is already out of print.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

In case anyone in Canada wants Murder-Set-Pieces and doesn't want to risk losing it in Customs, Machiavelli DVD has is for $36.95 Canadian. They also have a listing for Nutbag for $26.50 Canadian but they say it's out of stock but coming soon.

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

MSP was gory as fuck! A good movie with lots of blood and carnage. Some scenes seemed thrown in or one scene would end abruptly and slam into something else...it definitely kept my attention throughout. The little girls scenes were hammy and the baby pin scene kinda pushed the edge of decency.

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

The dvd is not anamorphic. And we are in 2005. I was about to buy it. But I'm not going to spent money for something that will look like crap when projected. There is absolutely no excuse to release a new film in a lb edition, except for money. I REALLY wanted to see this - damn those who released it this way.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  15. DVD Connoisseur

Sorry, I really rushed my mini-review. What I meant to say was that I received a lot of flack over Thriller as many people said that more decent, high-budget offerings were better releases. Plus, a lot of people hated Thriller, full-stop. I'm sure a lot of people will hate MSP as it really pushes taboo areas and goes way beyond the limits of a normal horror movie. It's the first NC17 horror flick, apparently, which kind of speaks for itself.

Trust me, you won't be bored by this film. It moves at quite a pace. I found it gripping, uncomfortable viewing. Just what a slasher film should be.

16. SaviniFan

Even though I've ordered this and I'm quite sure I'll probably like it as I like films that challenge the senses, I'm not impressed by the NC-17 rating. Tons of "unrated" horror films could secure that rating as well but have chosen not to because what is the point?

17. Stige

Stige Active Member

ordered......
    a few words of praise and I am a whore with my VISA

18. DVD Connoisseur

I'm actually thinking of ordering the alternative cover version - this DVD's selling like hot cakes, apparently. I reckon it's going to be really sort after in a year or so. The financiers behind the film will eventually release their cut and that'll become the one that everybody ends up knowing.The original will be a real rarity.

And "No" - I'm not on commission!

19. SaviniFan

Damn you. I may buy the alternative cover as well too now. :p

20. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

Half of me loves this film for its "pushing the envelope" & all the B&B(blood & boobs), but the other half can't get past some of the acting including the leads. It was entertaining with some unitentionally funny moments. To anyone intrested Ultra Violent Magazine has a huge write up w/interviews on MSP, alot of the actresses hate Palumbo now.