Why "Murder-Set-Pieces" is, for me, the DVD of the year...

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DVD Connoisseur, Nov 26, 2005.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I finally watched this last night and you know what? I really liked it. It didn't bother me in the least that there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of plot, but they certainly got the message across. The acting was right above par, not cheesy with badly delivered dialogue. The cinematography and location shooting looked great and of course best of all was the FX. Great work by Toe Tag. I hope they get some bigger jobs in the future. This movie really pushed the limits of decency with some extremely graphic kills and rapes, especially the sequences involving children. The score was also a major element of what made the film so watchable. Great music by Zombi and The Giallos Flame. I'm glad I bought this sucker since it's going to only get harder to find. I wouldn't necessarily compare it to Thriller, so if anyone had any qualms about buying it based on DVD Connoisseur's past recommendation, don't. It's a worthy additon to any horror fan/gorehound's collection.

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Really glad you enjoyed the movie, KC. I'll be the first to admit my choices for "DVD of the year" tend to be left-of-field....I don't know, must be something about backing the underdog. I always find delight in low volume, low budget films rather than the more mainstream releases. Murder-Set-Pieces really hit the spot for me in '05.

3. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

Spoken like a true viral marketer!

4. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  5. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Very nice indeed!

6. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

This reminds me...saw MSP a few weeks ago and couldn't stand it! I don't quite understand how a movie with so much gore and violence could be sooooo boring! I think it's something to do with not having the slightest bit of interest in any of the characters.

And I'm really getting sick of low budget 'serial killers who keep victims locked up in the basement for torture' films. I'd rather see five more zombie films than another one of those!

7. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

Marketing and a gullible public are key.

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

The acting sucked in this movie, by almost everyone.

9. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

I agree.

The little girl was the best actor, and that's not saying much either.

Low budget horror shouldn't be an excuse for bad acting. Wolf Creek with half the budget of M-S-P had great acting - Kestie Morassi got nominated for an Aussie Oscar for it (it got 7 nominations all up).

Or even something like non-horror Primer for $7000 had much better acting, and IIRC the main actor (who was also Director/Writer/Cinematographer/Producer/Editor/Composer and more) isn't even an actor, or been to film school. That was a much better made film than M-S-P.