Wicked City (1987).

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by WrongTurnLover, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Kickass, sexy and gory animated Sci-fi horror fantasy action thriller from Yoshikta Kawajarri of Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It's about two opposite agents from different worlds must protect a wise yet horny oldman who is suppose to bring peace between our world and the Black World from shapeshifiting assassins.

Very well animated with action, eroticism and gory violence plus a good storyline. Kawajarri is a god among anime filmmakers.

2. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Yes the anime is quite memorable. Nothing amazing but it did have a few classic scenes. The live action version is to be avoided though. Thoroughly shitty.

3. Do you think this one ranks with Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2, Perfect Blue and Urotsukidoji as one of the best horror animes?

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I really like Wicked City. The animation isn't as good as my recollections, but its enjoyably bizarre and certainly worth re-visiting every few years.

5. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

It is definitely a classic but I don't consider it in the same league as Perfect Blue or Magnetic Rose. It is more in line with the likes of Ninja Scroll which is another fun, gory horror anime classic but the story isn't remarkable.

6. What about Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend?

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

A person after my own heart!! I love the Vampire Hunter films, as the first one is the first anime I'd ever seen. I saw it on a Jap. laserdisc with no subs and still loved it!! I adore Perfect Blue as well! The Urotsukidoji films are a bit too much!! :lol:

Believe it or not, the first time I saw Wicked City was at a midnight anime run at a local theatre in 35mm, so it is very memorable to me. I love the film. It starts off incredibly, but gets a little goofy, because of the horny old man character (unfortunately goofy characters are a staple in a lot of anime!!). The first 20 min. are pretty mind blowing and reminiscent of John Carpenter's The Thing, done in an exploitative way. I won't say anything else!!

It is so funny that this thread started, as I had been thinking of the film a lot lately and wanted to see it, but realized I only have a crappy VCD copy. I actually just ripped it and put it on my PSP to watch when I'm on the road this coming week, so this was a real coincidence!! I want to grab the DVD, but I was hoping it would eventually come out on Blu Ray, so I might abstain for the time being. The Chinese made live action film was a bit cheesy if I recall!

BTW: One of the reasons I was thinking about it lately was I saw this in the store:

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-City-B...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266280951&sr=1-2

Did you know they put out a novelization? It is recent. I actually bought it as a Christmas gift for the friend who introduced me to Vampire Hunter D and went with me to that midnight showing of Wicked City.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  8. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

If I remember correctly most of the special effects consisted of people getting covered by clear plastic sheets.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

One of many animes that I screened at our local arthouse theater in the nineties.Wild one.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I have the DVD but the quality is not great. I've been waiting for a blu-ray or better quality DVD before I watch it again.

11. Yes the live-action one was horrible, i hear of another live-action one that will be true to this one.

I'd say have David Cronenberg do it.

12. HarryCanyon

HarryCanyon Guest

Yes yes Cronenberg would be perfect. I loved this one since i was 17 back in 1996 and it blew me away besides Heavy Metal seeing cartoons getting naked and having sex.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Obviously you're a fan of Heavy Metal with that name!! One of my top 5 films of all time!! I saw it in the theatre when I was 13 and have seen it countless times since. I bought it the day it came out on VHS, the day it came out on DVD and I'll skip Blu Ray unless I hear otherwise, since I saw it in HD on Universal HD and it didn't even look as good as the DVD!! BTW: Sorry for hijacking the post with this!!!