Wicker Man... Theatrical vs Extended?

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Damage, Nov 8, 2004.

1. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yes but you cannot see Brit Ekland's titties.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

They don't delete that scene in the theatrical version, they just move it earlier in the movie. So if anything you're seeing them sooner and that's good!

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'll run in the opposite direction of the herd on this one. I prefer the extended version.

As mentioned above, the placement of Brit Eklund's nude scene is vastly different in the 2 cuts. And that changes the context of the scene immensely. In the theatrical version, the scene occurs so early that Howie's reaction seems way over the top. But in the extended version, his reaction is more justifiable. Some might consider that a small difference. But it's a big deal to me. The scene seems almost laughable in the theatrical cut.

The extended cut also contains more music, which is a huge selling point for me. There's something incredibly unsettling about a lot of the music in that movie. And I also prefer the deliberate pace of the extended cut.

There is one thing I prefer about the theatrical version. Christopher Lee's first appearance has a lot more impact.

Just my two cents.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

So, I just got the Wooden Box release from a large re-seller for pretty cheap. They said it was "Like New". When I asked specific details about the item they replied "With such a large inventory we are unable to check item details blah blah, all items not Brand New are re-sealed". So, I got it in the mail today, professionally shrink-wrapped but their is a red round sticker on the front that says "2 Disc Limited Edition Includes Theatrical and Extended Versions". Can anyone confirm if this sticker was on theirs too? I find it hard to believe this reseller had a bunch of these stickers laying around and just happened to stick it on there after re-shrink-wrapping. Maybe I actually got a Brand New one?

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I got my wooden box as soon as it came out. You almost certainly got a new one. I remember a sticker like that being on the package when I got it. And it was definitely outside on the shrink wrap and not on the box itself. I never remove stickers or any part of packaging. So if the sticker had been inside I'd still have it. And there's no sticker. I'd say you hit the lottery.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Occam's Razor. If it has that sticker on it, it's probably factory sealed. Don't overthink things.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I bought mine in 2003 or so, when they started showing up cheap here and there. Being of a collector mentality, I keep any (movie related) stickers from the shrinkwrap in my cases after opening them, and I have that exact sticker you mention in my Wicker box so that was 100% brand new. You should also have 2 chapter cards inside, one for each cut of the film. What number did you get?:)

8. Mutilated Prey

That was my thinking - woot woot!

True dat - just wanted to confirm before I do my victory dance :banana::sperm::banana:

Delightful! Yeah, I got it for just under $18. It's a high number. Can't recall off the top of my head, but I wanna say like 42,189 or something - I'll double check when I get home. Yeah so, the shrink wrap has two tiny side-by-side air holes running the length of the box (at least along the backside from what I remember) about every inch too.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I love the wooden box. Actually I really liked it along with Anchor Bay's other Tin cases. I know a lot of people bitched about them back in the day, but I always thought they were neat, especially those that came with some other extra goodies.

10. Mutilated Prey

It's 42205.