Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 6, 2005.

?

Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2005.
  1. Yes, but I wish it wasn't dubbed and cut

32 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, I prefer the dubbing and cutting

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. No, I'll wait for the uncut R1 DVD

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. No, I have no interest in the film

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No, I have already seen it/ own it on DVD

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. welb25

welb25 New Member

No way am I going to see this.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Thanks mission. That link shows that 2 theaters I have never been to at Va. Beach are for sure showing it. The other 2 theaters that we always go to haven't updated to show everything they will be showing on Friday yet but hopefully High Tension will be at those 2 also. Does that make any sense?

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I'm just hoping my boss doesn't call and tell me I have to work on Friday.

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I just checked and it is playing at almost every theater around me. :)

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I was so jazzed about this until I saw it was dubbed. Then I saw that it's also been edited for content. What is this, AMC?!?!
    I shall wait for a R1 release. And if Lions Gate fucks it up, I'll buy overseas.

Regardless, I'll be seeing this in some form or other.

6. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I saw a screening of the hybrid cut last night. The cuts weren't all that extreme (except for the first death scene). While of course I would much rather see the NC-17 cut with all of the gore, it really doesn't make sense for Lion's Gate to release that version theatrically. NC-17 is the kiss of death since lots of theaters will not show NC-17 movies and they can't get decent advertising.

Now as for the dubbing, everyone's probably going to hate me for this, but it works! There's not all that much dialogue except for the first 20 minutes. The way the dubbing works is that Marie speaks English when dealing with the family (since they have been made American in this version) but speaks French when speaking to herself or any of the other characters. The dubbing is slightly annoying at first but again I have to agree with Lion's Gate decision to release it this way. When I saw the screening last night, the theater was packed. Probably about 6-10 people walked out during the course of the film. I can guarantee you that a ton more people would have walked out if the first 20 minutes were subtitled. Most horror movies ae marketed to the 18-24 crowd and this crowd does not want to read subtitles. That's just the way kids in America are these days. Trust me, this movie would be DOA if it were released NC-17 and dubbed. We all just have to have confidence in Lion's Gate that they will release the DVD in it's original form.

This has kind of been a rant, but I highly encourage all of you to check it out. This is a movie for us hardcore horror lovers and we need to show Lion's Gate and the industry that this is the type of stuff we want ... not watered down PG-13 shit like The Ring 2 and The Grudge. For people that have never seen High Tension, this is a no brainer. The gore is still excellent and you won't even know what you're missing. For fans that love the original French version, I recommend you see it too. You'll be slightly disappointed by the cuts but seeing this in a theater with a group of people is an awesome experience. Just my two cents ...

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

He doesn't like horror films. It's extremely rare for him to give a horror film a good rating.
    So take it for what it's worth

9. I had a pre-screening pass for Thursday, but couldn't go so gave it to my sis & her husband.

She said the dubbing was obvious, but still gory nonetheless. The audience's reaction was generally positive, except for a couple of old fogies that nearly had a heart attack!

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I thought Ebert's review was fair. I don't agree with him, but it's reasonable for a film that a) He obviously hated, b) Has a hook at the end that he doesn't want to give away.

He mentions the gore, the rating fiasco, and the dubbing (which he hated). Seems reasonable.

11. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Oooh, shit! It's Friday, gotta go check the theatrical listings in my area. If it's here, I'm going today, goddammit.

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I didn't know it was starting today. My local paper gave it a D. She mentioned the cuts and the dubbing, but said that she couldn't forgive a major plot hole. Does anyone know what she mean't? I assume that it'll hurt the film to point it out, but story is everything to me. Can someone enlighten me on this, if you know what she mean't? Does it hurt the film?

13. tobaccoman

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that if you want it to make any sense you MUST pay attention to the first 15 minutes. Not so much the dialogue as much as to what's going on.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

There is really not plot holes. But it's easily to see how someone may think that after only watching it once.

15. tobaccoman

It's at the theatre in our local mall and I will be going at 12:35 p.m. (do I use a period after that sentence, I guess it doesn't matter now that I typed this).

16. tobaccoman

Shit, I just checked my wallet and I only have $3. Looks like I'll have to sell The Brood and Maniac Cop to see this in theatres. Damn you Lion's Gate. Oh well, I know I'm getting the R2 Brood SE, hopefully we can get a better release of the latter in the next year or so (that Legacy release was tainting my collection anyways).

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's not playing at any theatres where I live, dammit!

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Anyone who bitches about plot holes, must have been too busy eating popcorn and drinking soda to pay close attention to the beginning of the film. They completely give away the so called "twist ending" right at the start!

19. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Not only did Ebert miss the boat on understanding the twist, but he also ripped on the UK title Switchblade Romance, saying that it seemed ill-fitting for a film like this. I think that if Ebert truly understood the film's twisted theme on unrequited love he would agree that Switchblade Romance is actually a very fitting title indeed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Not one of you guys here van explain how in the fuck:
    1. the killer somehow had a van near where her friend's family lived. The two chicks had clearely just arrived there from a long road trip.

2. there was no car chase at the end? There was no car? What the fuck?

3. Any conversation with the gasoline station attendant is null and void as is most of the events in the film because it "was all in her head" :gay: :rolleyes:

I can't believe you guys are so accepting of this! It's like I've said before, the story made it quite clear to the audience that the girl was suspicious - then did everything in it's power to dispell any of those suspicions by proving through the film we see that she could not have done it. Then oops! We fooled you, it was all in her mind :p