Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 6, 2005.

?

Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2005.
  1. Yes, but I wish it wasn't dubbed and cut

32 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, I prefer the dubbing and cutting

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. No, I'll wait for the uncut R1 DVD

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. No, I have no interest in the film

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No, I have already seen it/ own it on DVD

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Concerning your points 1,2, and 3: you basically just answered them yourself. The only events in the film that we know for sure to have happened in pretty much the same fashion that they are presented through flashbacks at the end are that a) Marie killed Alex's family and b) Marie killed the gas station clerk. Any and all of the other events in the story are open to being (and, in my opinion, most likely are) complete and total fabrications to help Marie complete her fantasy and perhaps, as a rationalization tool to help her cope/repress from her fragile psyche what she actually did.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Mok, do us (and yourself a favor). Do NOT, under any circumstances, EVER see the film Mullholland Dr.

If Haute Tension annoys you with stuff like this, Mullholland Dr. will literally kill you. In fact, you might as well cross off your list Rashomon, Memento, and any other film which offers a different perspective based on the point of view of an altered reality.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i've been meaning to see Mullholland Dr. for a while, i hope it's good...

as for this film? loved it

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Mullholland Dr. - saw it, loved it. There is a fine line to be crossed when a film breaks the "rules" like that. Mullholland drive didn't pretend to be a slasher film with a twist. It was a twist. Like a dream, it doesn't hide the fact that things do not add up. There was mystery in figuring out how the pieces to Mullholand drive fit, and in the end they actually do. Yes some of that is explained as "it was in her mind" but it is executed in a way that provokes you to think about the film, to interpret it for yourself. High Tension blatantly tells you that you are a fool for believing anything we just showed you because we liked Fightclub and thought we'd be clever. LAME!!!

What was the big deal with Momento? That made perfect sense. Haven't seen the other one. My argument isn't about seeing different presentations of reality, it's more to do with this film jumping to an unavailable conclusion. I don't give a fuck what they showed us at the beginning, they disproved all possibility that the chick was the killer multiple times throughout the film. I bet you they came up with that ending half way or even right at the end of filming, tacked on the opening sequence and then sat back like they were geniuses. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

First of all, I'm not even a huge fan of the film. The first 2/3 are way too derivative of Intensity for me.

But, I don't have a problem with the ending at all, and I think everything was explained perfectly.
    Just like Mullholland Dr., you have a woman in love with another woman she can't have, and concocts a bizarre fantasy where she "rescues" her lover from a bad situation. She gets so wrapped up in the fantasy, she has to start actually acting out the events (both from her side and from the mythical "killer") so as not to snap her out of her dream world. Why is it like Rashomon and Memento? Because we see the stories unfold through HER eyes, even if that's not the way things really happened. As far as the ending being "tacked on"....absolutely not. I've seen the movie twice, and it all fits together. Notice how Marie's friend (name escapes me) is NOT thrilled when Marie comes to her "rescue", and even fights back at her.

So it seemed like a typical slasher film then changed. So what? Does every movie have to follow a strict set of "rules"? I actually LIKE it when a movie makes me question everything I just saw. First thing I want to do is see it again when that happens.

It ain't exactly high art, not as wonderful as people are making it out to be, but the story twists make perfect sense to me, and is not a cop-out or rip-off in any way.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

You couldn't figure out the ending of Fight Club? They let you know it was all in his head from the get go, I never thought it wasn't, I mean they even shown Brad Pitt flashing in and out of reality before his character was introduced. How could anyone think he was a real person? :confused:

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Just got back and needless to say am a bit confused. I mean, I understand it fine, I just think it'll take another viewing or two to totally click, you know what I mean. Besides that it was absolutely wonderful, definitely the best horror film I've seen theatrically and for that I give it a 10. However, the fact that it's not "Haute Tension", I will take it back down to a 9. I was semi-drunk so that may attribute to my lesser understanding of the so-called twist. Either way, this movie is filled with extremely memorable scenes.

Now onto the tampering! The only problem I really had was the HORRIBLE dubbing (mostly the synching) towards the beginning of the film and the lack of an explanation as to why they speak both English and French. After about 30 minutes the movie becomes really dark, so the remaining English dialouge is alright since you can't see their lips flapping. It still wasn't so bad (hell, we do watch Italian horror movies with dubbing that oftentimes matches this). As for cut gore, I only noticed one scene that was pretty obviously cut-away and that was the second kill. It still remained extremely gruesome though, so no real complaint in that department either.

Now I just can't wait to get the DVD, hopefully LGF releases it properly, but I'm not holding my breath.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I saw it tonight. Ending kind of angered me, but other than that this was a great, good ol' fashioned slasher movie. I can't even begin to think what was cut out of this film, as it was brutal as all hell.

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Here you go: http://chud.com/interviews/3284

10. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Whoever the fuck voted for the second option is not a fan of horror and cinema. PERIOD.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Huh? Lots of people love dubbing. And as for the cutting, sometimes it can help (Deep Red being a case in point, although none of the gore was cut from that... it was more of a pacing issue). This isn't to say, however, that I voted for the second option. ;)

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Don't forget Swimming Pool.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Well we went to see this today and I liked the parts we saw.
    Unfortunately we had a terrible experience at the movies. First of all the trailers were playing then all of a sudden the lights come back on and the projector stops. We wait and wait for the lights to go back out and the trailers to start back up but nothing happens. I look up in the projector booth and no one is in there. I go to the ticket booth and tell them the movie isn't playing and they radio someone. By the time I get back in the theater the trailers have already started back up. Isn't there supposed to be someone in there all the time?
    Anyways, so the movie starts and for some reason they have it displaying very small on the screen. Ah well I try to forget that but then everytime a subtitle comes up on the screen there is a wide white line going across the top of the screen. It only happens during the subtitles but very annoying. The last little thing that happened is there was some fat guy with 2 kids around 15 that come in and sit about 5 seats down from us at about 5 minutes into the movie. The whole thaeter had only around 15 people including us so I have no idea why they sat by us. They talked during the movie and pretty loud. I said out loud twice "Please be quiet". My wife whispered to me "Let's just move seats" I told her ok but as soon as we started to get up the assholes started laughing extremely loud and screaming :eek2: I got pissed and I said "Will you shut the hell up?" When we got up to move I heard the fat ass say "What did he just say to me?" I then said "I said shut the hell up!" We moved down a few rows but by then the movie was ruined so we left and got our money back.
    My wife was kinda pissed at me and said that I didn't have to say that, all we had to do was move. Fuck that hog and his two piglets, I was excited to see this and I was even putting up with the other bullshit that happened like the white line and the idiot not in the booth and that jerk and his kids were just the last straw. I guess I'll see the whole thing when I get the dvd. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2005
  14. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

just go back to the cinema another day and see it :)

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am laughing with you, not at you dan, I swear.

I thought you seeing this movie on time seemed a little unlikely, and sure enough...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

And that's why I rather watch films on DVD folks!

heck DVDs are sometimes cheaper than tickets these days :eek: :fucked:

17. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I don't get it.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

No thanks. The experience was ruined and I am not taking another chance.
    I guess there was a somewhat funny thing that happened out of all of this. After I talked to the manager and asked for our money back, my wife informed me I had little bits of popcorn on my face the whole time I was talking to him. :eek:
    I just can't get any respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  19. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i'm half way through downloading the BF2 demo.. maybe later you can try and gain a little of that respect back ;)

20. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I have been playing the BF2 demo on both computers nem. Lemme know when you wanna die and where :)
    I hope you don't mind if I think of you as that fatass at the theater, it helps me concentrate on killing you more.