Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 6, 2005.

?

Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2005.
  1. Yes, but I wish it wasn't dubbed and cut

32 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, I prefer the dubbing and cutting

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. No, I'll wait for the uncut R1 DVD

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. No, I have no interest in the film

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No, I have already seen it/ own it on DVD

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

just purchase an uncut import dvd and watch it at home.

Its reasons like that why I prefer the drive-in. No one to bug you and you can turn up the sound if anyone around you is being annoying.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I love the drive in also but the closest one is a few hours away and always seems to play kiddy crap. I prefer just getting the dvd most of the time but dammit I wanted to see this at the theater.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I hate experiences like this too, but sometimes you have to take the risk. I don't care how big your screen at home is, there's nothing like seeing celluloid projected onto a huge screen, with a GOOD audience. One that shuts up, but laughs at the right time, screams at the right time, jumps at the right time, etc.

Dan, as for your remark that "Shouldn't someone be there the whole time?", well, it depends.
    Most theaters have ONE projection booth for all the screens. They actually splice all the trailers together, and all the reels of film together. Then they put 'em on these big ass discs, and just throw 'em on.
    Some older theaters still do the two projector system, but that's rare nowadays. Most of the time, the projectionist will look out, see that everything is OK, and come back when the movie is over. So if you have a problem with the projection, complain immediately (like you did), or it may never get fixed as there's no one monitoring it.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i had a problem with the projection of Ong Bak at the theatre here.. they had stretched or squashed it or something (can't remember).. just went out and complained.. within a few minutes it was all fixed :)

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

So I guess this movie hasn't been released in theatres in Canada...or at least not around here (Toronto area). Oh well.

6. Is the storyline in High Tension a common one? As I was watching the movie - I started to realize that I had seen another movie with very similar situations - I'm talking about the Dean Koontz made for tv movie -Intensity. Has anyone else seen that? At some points I couldn't believe how similar they were. But this is the serial killer genre of movies we're talking about here - "borrowing" from other movies is what it's all about. Of course - High Tension's ending was quite a bit different.

Edit - Just read the other posts - glad to read I'm not the only one thinking it was similar to Intensity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Early box office estimates are predicting this made just a bit under 2 million this weekend, so if you are going to see it, you better make it quick. In the busy summer box office, it is going to get dropped fast.

**Waits for Shoes to come in and make a comment.** In other words, yes, people mention that a lot. Just read any thread on the movie and you will find countless comments about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  8. Ah - thank you onebyone. It's always good to be reminded of the true nature of the internet - if I've noticed something - chances are that it's already been discussed in complete detail by people who are far more knowledgable than I.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
  9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Not more knowledgable, they just saw it before you did. If you saw it earlier, I am sure you would have beaten everyone to the punch.

Except for maybe shoes.

10. .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
  11. jak

jak Guest

I tell ya' I still haven't watched it, mainly because of the cuts.

The way I justify it is simple. Why spend close to $7 to watch a cut film, when I can spend maybe $10 and own the uncut version?

12. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Apparrently to have some big, old, flatulent lady rippin' ass while her three kids run around the cineplex screaming bloody murder and some punk kids throw milk duds at the big-screen causing the whole fucking film to stop. Meanwhile, the projectionist is jacking off, but not to this movie.

13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Stop the madness....

quotes:

When I saw "Haute Tension" at Sundance, a geek-fight broke out at the Q & A, with various horror buffs accusing the director of plagiarizing a Dean Koontz novel. I tended to agree with the director's defense that the film is a smorgasbord of influences, Koonz being just one, and survivalist films like Deliverance being another. Highly recommended for slasher fans.

The Q&A after the midnight showing of the French slasher film "Haute Tension" ("High Tension") got a little tense itself. Viewers pointed out that the plot - a young woman witnesses the slaughter of her best friend's family, then hides in the killer's van - is, despite a new twist ending, lifted from Dean Koontz's 1995 bestseller "Intensity." But Koontz is nowhere to be found in the credits.

Caught off guard by this line of questioning, director Alexandre Aja was now the one doing the squirming. He owned up to reading the Koontz novel. "The beginning is quite similar," he conceded, "but it's a classic story: two girls in a house with a killer ... It's a tribute to all slasher films."

Last night I received phone call after phone call from my brother in extreme excitement. He had just witnessed the ultra disgusting, ultra amazing, Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance). My bro said that there were some really rude and obnoxious individuals during the question and answer session after the movie. He said they were calling the film a "Dean Koontz" rip-off. My brother got pissed off and flipped out at the group of morons. He told them they were being disrespectful and that they are there to enjoy peoples movies and not be assholes about them. God bless people like my bro. Haute Tension is coming to the US in 2004 thanks to Lions Gate Films.

14. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Don't tell your better half, but I would side with you on this one. You shouldn't have to move on account of someone else being rude.

That's a damn shame that you had to go through that man. I'm lucky that I'm part vampire with my work schedule, so I can go to matinees and spend time with nicer crowds who are actually there to, believe it or not, be quiet and watch the film. What a concept.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I don't understand how you think they tried to fool you?

Right at the beginning she tells the people who are interviewing her " is it recording" Therefore obviously everything that that is going to happen next is her story of what happened.

What part of that gives you the impression that they tried to fool, or cheated you? Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

16. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Also from my understanding at least after giving it some time to filter through my mind:
    Once the reveal of who the killer is over the C-store video, we start to see the story unfold from both her point-of-view and whoever is interrogating her. Let it be known also, that all of the interrogations facts are inconclusive causing a lot of confusion for us the viewers. Much like a court trial, we are left to weed through the testimonies and come to our own conclusion.

17. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Dan, you did the right thing. Same thing happened to me at Devil's Rejects (people-wise that is... the projection was fine) and I damn sure as hell said something. It worked too.

18. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Wow this movie only made 1.75 mil this weekend. I would have thought it would make more. I saw it and I must say I loved it, besides the minor plot holes
    (where the police find the tape of the girl killing the clerk).
    I didn't like the ending although I didn't hate it either. I would have rather had it all be real like everyone else. Oh well...could have been perfect.

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Can you please use spoiler tags? I have already had the movie ruined at the theater, don't ruin it on the boards too. Thanks.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I wouldn't call that a plot hole.

At that moment the film switches from her telling the story to what really happened in reality