Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 6, 2005.

?

Will you see High Tension in theaters?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2005.
  1. Yes, but I wish it wasn't dubbed and cut

32 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, I prefer the dubbing and cutting

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. No, I'll wait for the uncut R1 DVD

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. No, I have no interest in the film

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No, I have already seen it/ own it on DVD

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

As I posted in one of the other "High/Haute Tension" threads, I might be going back for a second viewing so....

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Just got back and I must say that I did enjoy it quite a lot--the filmmakers were obviously heavily influenced by TCM, HILLS HAVE EYES, MANIAC, HALLOWEEN and others. I think horror newbies would love this if given the chance. The look was SO similar to TCM that it kind of bugged me, but if I hadn't seen it so many times it might have seemed new to me.
    I'm not sure how to use spoilers so I won't go into any twists or theories about the characters. Everyone's done enough of that to cover the bases anyway.
    If you haven't seen it, you should go. The dubbing doesn't long and the last 3/4 of the movies is in French w/subs.

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I caught a screening Monday afternoon and, despite having seen the uncut dvd with subs many times already, I was glad to have seen this beautifully-shot film on the big screen, albeit with the cuts and the strange mixture of subtitles and dubbing.

A word on the dubbing: it just doesn't work. The film is great for stretches and draws you in and then they pop in some more awkward dubbing and it reminds you that you are watching a film being dumbed-down for the convenience of the stereotypical lazy target audience that LGF feels it needs to cater to.

As for the cuts, I was actually surprised with what was taken out and what was left in.
    The decapitation was all but cut to hell and yet, we still get a quick glimpse of the concrete saw going into the motorist's torso.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. Myron Breck

That's the great thing about censorship of any sort, it rarely makes sense.

5. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

I loved this film and was delightfully surprized with the ferocity and gore. I think the title is very fitting. As for the subtitles...I actually feel sorry for all thoes lazy bastards who poo poo everything that needs subtitles. Here are a few great subtitled films that are worth the effort: Anatomy, the Eye, Kung Fu Hustle, and Old Boy.

6. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Oh My, Gothic Queen and I agree........this film was down right awesome, I saw it a week before Land of the Dead (and I'm a huge Romero fan) but this movie smoked Land!

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Apparently my answer is no. I couldn't find it playing in any theatres near me. Jerks! :(

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I just throught of something while perusing old threads.

I guess this can be a case of unacceptable dubbing, but I want to give an example of what is acceptable, and the type of resulting behavior that is not. Just for my own sake and to maybe get a few laughs out of it.

So I'm a film major and for one of the required courses we watch a lot of old foreign stuff. Well we all had to watch The Bicycle Thief, this old Italian flick. In my class we watched it in Italian with subtitles.

However, in a class my friend had, they watched it dubbed. The reason being is that the projector wasn't aligned properly or something and the back rows couldn't see the subtitles at all. So this bitch supercool film student starts complaining because they're watching it dubbed, not caring that the last few rows won't know what the hell's going on just for the sake of being a bitch pretentious asshole. Anyway, some guy told him to shut the fuck up and he stormed out. Problem solved.

Just wanted to share a story about how the negativity of dubbing is often blown way out of proportion. Let's face it, this is not a subtitle-loving nation. I work at Blockbuster. People don't want to read a movie.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Subtitling can also be distracting from the performances and on screen action. Sometimes you have to really weight that, "What will I get out of a direct translation of what they say compared to what I miss out while trying to read subtitles." It probably takes a couple of viewings with subtitles before you start to 'really' get a movie. For some people, honestly, there's not real benefit to subtitling.

I rather liked the way they handled the dubbed mixed with subtitling in Haute Tension, towards the end weren't they pretty much sticking to all French anyways? It changes things slightly, but I don't think perceptions were changed by it. And the director supervised it too, if he's happy I'm happy.

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Of course, dumbing down of America is in full effect.

I think it's the other way around, since most dubbing actors are hardly ever as good as the real ones. Bad dubbing can ruin a performance, well it nearly always does.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm with KR on this. Dubbing totally ruins the performances for me. Most of the time the entire mood of the film is thrown off when you dub it. The only films I seem to be able to tolerate it in are Italian horror and that’s only because most of them were meant to be dubbed from the get go, that and the visuals are the biggest driving force in them. Imagine watching a Japanese horror film dubbed. That would ruin the entire experience because there are so heavily driven by the mood of the film. Dubbing would just ruin that. The way I see it watching the film dubbed is the equivalent of watching a film pan and scan. There has been more then one time that I have watched a film dubbed, didn’t like it, and then watched it subbed and enjoyed it so much more because the mood of the film was totally different the second time around.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Before recently you had people saying to buy the French disc w/o subtitles because you didn't really need the dialog anyways. Now suddenly partical dubbing by the original actors with director supervision is is a crime? If you weigh the loss I don't think the dubbed parts really suffered and all the tense moments were subtitled. So all the fluff got dubbed, big deal.

Bad dubbing isn't a good arguement against dubbing either, because there's bad everything. That's like saying bad female actresses are reason enough to go back to only having males play all the parts. That Spider-Man 3 should drop all CGI because The Hulk sucked.

There's also bad subtitling as well, I know with much experience that anime is very poorly subtitled, often times using the dubbed script. You usually have to find fan subtitles to get the full benefit. I watched Slayers subtitled happily several times untill a friend brought me a fan sub that blew away everything the official subtitle had. It used the literal Japanse translation with note scripts to explain everything they reference. So whatever subtitling you watch is subject to very poor translations and rewrites just as much as dubbing.

I also think the reason why it took me a long while to warm up to Akira Kurosawa was because of subtitling, I had to ignore what was on screen to read the damn stuff and I'd have to rewind to finish reading it sometimes which ruins the pacings. Throne of Blood was my first breakthough because I was familiar with the story of Macbeth and didn't have to pay as close attention to the subtitles. And I can watch Zatoicihi with ease because all the stories are the same, you just need a glimpse at the subtitles to learn context.

That's also kinda of my point in having to see a movie several times, you already know and understand some of the performances, story and visuals. Since "there's no more darn dubbing" you also allow yourself to enjoy it more.

I prefer subtitling for sure, but I'd rather watched a film print of Haute Tension on a theater screen with theater sound dubbed and slightly cut to not subtitled at all with slightly more gore compressed on DVD displayed at 15" with tiny speakers. I think the theatical experience alone gave the movie a better edge then subtitling could, even if it were uncut and entirely subtitled that pales in comparison to film stock, big ass screen and big ass speakers.

13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Someone needs a new TV and speakers ;)

14. Myron Breck

The only time I ever resorted to dubbing was with CITY OF LOST CHILDREN. I kept finding myself getting swept into the visuals and not reading what was going on. So after 20 minutes of having to stop, rewind, and rewatch the same scenes several times I just gave up and switched it to English dialogue. Yeah, it was annoying and I felt even a little guilty for being so "American" but that movie is too visually engaging for me to stay focused on the bottom third of the screen for long.

Normally, however, I prefer hearing the original language and performances.

15. Agent Z

As do I. You make a great point by pairing "original language" and "performances" together, since hearing the original actor's voice (regardless of whether you understand the language) is just as important in the fleshing out of the performance as is seeing the facial expressions and body movements of the actor.

For me, seeing an actor dubbed is like taking away a piece of the actor's original performance. It feels like the experience is there, but muted.

In addition, I never understood the argument that subtitles are so distracting that they cause the viewer to miss out on the entire picture. I imagine that if one is new to subtitles, then they may take some adjusting to see text at the bottom of the screen, while also taking in the entire picture, but overall I never feel myself missing out. If anything, dubbing is more distracting to me (as in High Tension ) than reading subtitles, since it is reminding me that the performance I'm watching on the screen is being done by two people for every one person.

Having said all that, there are times when I listen to dubs. Watching old kung-fu flicks with bad dubbing is actually a bit of nostalgia for me that I can't let go. Even then though, I try to watch them in their original language every once in a while, just to hear the original performers.

And there are rare cases in anime where, after hearing both dubs, I actually enjoy the English voice cast as much as the Japanese crew. Cowboy Bebop is a prime example of that. :)

16. Agent Z

Well, after seeing High Tension dubbed and "slightly"-cut in a theater, I would have to disagree there. In fact, I actually loved watching High Tension on a big screen (because it is a very beautiful film), but was taken out of the experience when the dubbing would come back into play.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, since subtitles are just as common to the theatrical experience as dubbing is, American super multiplexes, notwithstanding.

I am assuming, in regards to the 15" display, that you are joking in an extreme to make a point. If not, then my condolences.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  17. Myron Breck

Actually, in the case of CITY, it is the opposite effect that makes it hard for me to watch it subtitled: The Visuals are so distracting that I can't take my eyes down, even just below the picture to the black "letterbox" area, to read what is being said. It's like I'm in some sort of trance. No other film does this to me and I own a lot of foreign releases (see below).

18. Chad

Chad Member

Damn, I was going to go check out the "bastardized" version today but my local movie theater isn't playing it anymore. BTW, they're still playing the fucking Pacifier. :mad:

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Hits Dvd On Oct 11th

20. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Where'd you hear that?