Will you upgrade to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'General' started by JW77, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

I think they withdrew the progressive to keep the price low for release.:D It could've been?

Yes, they play 1080i, future HD players will play 1080 progressive. Kind of the same when DVD players came out, we didn't see the progressive option till later, though Blu-Ray already has it in their machines. But it's still a good buy because you will need a TV that plays progressive 1080, since I don't own one, 1080P right now is something that will be more in the future.

Why did you buy the Toshiba clone?

They didn't have the Toshiba Model, just the RCA model at the store . . . it was pretty much the same, just different manufacturer. :eek2:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  2. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

so I'm sitting here considering to buy the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player after reading reviews on it. it sounds like the BD player to have if one wants one.

3. Curt Duncan

Curt Duncan Guest

Boy, am I a liar! :D Couple of weeks ago I bought a 42 inch HDTV and last weekend I bought the Toshiba HD-A1 player. Got it for 500 bucks Canadian. So far, I have watched Serenity and it looks quite awesome!

I have 25 titles so far and should have over 30 by the end of the week.

4. marcx

marcx New Member

I have the Toshiba and it is insanely good--FYI the 1080i output includes all the info any good 1080p set would need to display 1080p...

on my 720p projector HD-DVD look heavenly and Standard DVDs have never looked as good..

my only regret is that it is not region free for standard def dvds so I have to use an hdmi switcher and se my other player for imports...

5. Damed

Damed Guest

HD-A1 Owners:

If you don't already have it, get the Corpse Bride. It's unbelievable how good the quality is.

6. marcx

marcx New Member

yeah the image quality to corpse bride is stunning...

but Batman begins takes the cake--best home theater experience going....

7. marcx

marcx New Member

By the way--those of you judging hd dvd qualityby best buys set ups are not seeing the full picture--evey bb I have been to has some sort of issue witht he way they have it hooked up or set up...wrong resolution selected to output, etc...

when you set it up right not only are hd discs amazing but it is the best dvd player around....

8. Cenobite

Cenobite Guest

Sorry if this was asked before but are there region codes for hd-dvd?

9. Damed

Damed Guest

Apparently the players are coded, but as of this point all worldwide HD-DVD discs are region 0 (region free).

So my guess is that the eventual plan is to implement region coding, but as the format is so new with such a small market share, they haven't bothered yet.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I think you need to stop buying Brentwood or those other cheepy DVD's. I can't think of a single DVD I have that's from a VHS transfer.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

HDMI and DVI are fully compatible there is no loss of video quality when you combine the too. HDMI is DVI but with added audio that no one uses anyway because they usually have a receiver.

12. NIN

NIN Member

HD-DVD ARE 1080P, but the first generation Toshiba players could only send 1080i, so it had to convert the 1080P image to 1080i.
    That, and the slow start up, is the reason I have waited for the sceond generation players. As HD give a MUCH better image than the crappy DVD.

13. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Your HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players will look really nice stacked up on top of your DVD-A/SACD players in your closet. ;)

dmeister

14. NIN

NIN Member

BS! There have been many great releases so far. You remind me of a guy saying the same thing about DVD 8-9 years ago....:glasses:

15. Damed

Damed Guest

How so? My HD-A1 works incredibly well as an upconverting player for regular discs. If the format fails, it'll still be very useful for that.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

You guys tell your "scientists" to decide once and for all!

Blu-ray or DVD !?!?!?!? :mad:

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

What about HD-DVD?

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

With Forbidden Planet coming out in HD-DVD with the identical packaged tin as SD I'm hoping the Ultimate Superman collection won't be far behind. I'm sure BR isn't more than 3 months after the HD-DVD release(s). It's looking more and more like there's little reason not to upgrade, just gotta wait it out for prices to come down and heads to be put on straighter. I'm disappointed both Land of the Dead and Army of Darkness are combo SD/HD-DVDs with no extras, Universal would almost win me over to HD-DVD with their titles alone if they just stopped being so stupid with what they put on their discs!

HD-DVD's slowly winning me over, and reportedly you can find a refurbished HD-A1 for $300ish. The Panasonic is looking great although far too expensive. With dual layered BR now on the shelf the BR camp really just has to be flat out stupid to lose. Sony has improved MPEG-2 to be acceptable but they really just need to drop it all together and use VC-1 with the bit-rate cranked to 'eleven' and stuff as many HD extras onto the second layer as possible. They're abusing the 50 gigs sticking with MPEG-2, not utilizing it.

What I want to see finally done are dual layered Blu-Ray discs using VC-1 transfers with full extras in HD. I want there to be no reason to buy the SD disc for extra features and I want there to be no reason to buy the HD-DVD because BR utilized its space for peak bitrates. So far, this hasn't happened yet. 'Click' used MPEG-2 so it wasn't able to utilize its space, at least from my perspective.

Thanks, I hadn't really realized that. Considering HDMI 1.3 is already coming out with its own slight video improvements it's not worth worring about HDMI 1.x to DVI.

19. Damed

Damed Guest

Another possible PS3 setback.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHLZ6fnYiNoY&refer=home

20. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Did anybody read the new review for the HD-DVD of 'The Thing', over at highdefdigest.com? After reading it, it shows why I'm sticking with DVD for awhile. This was going to be my first HD-DVD release, but now I won't get it, and here is why:

1. No combo disc. This was supposed to be a combo disc, which I figured was a good way to get the DVD/HD-DVD version of the film. Universal dropped it and made it an HD-DVD only disc.

2. No Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. All we get is a Dolby Digital 5.1 plus.

3. Transfer was mastered from the 2004 DVD release. Even the same print damage and problems remained on the HD version. The review stated only a slightly more sharper image.

4. No new extras. The same extras from the 2004 DVD release, and that is it. Where are the HD exclusives??

Same can be said for the 'House Of Wax' HD-DVD. No exclusive extras, minted from same transfer, no Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. These were the only two HD-DVD's I was going to pick up, not anymore!