Will you upgrade to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'General' started by JW77, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Curt Duncan

Curt Duncan Guest

I listen to my 60gb iPod all the time. I sold almost all of my cd's.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I couldn't survive a day without my iPod.

3. Sam

Sam Member

Same here. I've got a 4gb iPod nano that gets daily use. Ripping at lossless audio's an incredible sound; certainly much better than I'd had imagined coming from portable cassette and cd walkmans. I was a nay-sayer at first, but it's becoming my main medium for music now. Conveniency factor over my vinyl and cd collection is astronomically superior. There's a company called Red Wine Audio that does wonders with these things through a bit of modding.

As for the OP's question, yes - I will eventually migrate a HD-DVD player into the setup. The current slate of movies don't impress me a whole lot and the flow of titles has eased up a bit lately. Luckily the awareness is already above the DVHS format was at its peak, which never had a chance in succeeding in the market to begin with. Hopefully prices will soon be in the $13-15 range to compete with SD DVDs and I'll be all over them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  4. dmeister

dmeister New Member

My point is only that both CDs and DVDs have probably reached the functional limits of our ability to discern a meaningful improvement in sound or picture quality, especially if any marginal improvement comes at a significant cost (in terms of price, convenience, reliability, etcetera). Most people will be content with DVD quality, just as most people would rather sacrifice some sound quality to get the convenience of an iPod, while not even bothering with the improvement gained using a high resolution audio player.

dmeister

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Ipods are nice, but I've personally never wanted one simply because it would get very limited use here. When possible, I still even like to get Vinyls over CD's.

Let's not forget the few people on this forum who actually still sometimes prefer VHS to DVD (no, not I!) releases. :D