William Castle Box Set

Discussion in 'Classic' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

How did I not see this?

Looks like a great set, and I think that's some new content, too. Anyone pick this up? Are the discs any different than previous releases, or is it just a case of an added disc for the documentary? Still, it's great to have them all together and since I still haven't seen many I'd really like to pick this up eventually.

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I want this so bad...to tide me over I DVR'd all of the Castle flicks they ran on TCM a few nights back. Hopefully Santa leaves it under my tree this year, as I've wanting to see 13 Frightened Girls and Zotz! for years now.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Here's a couple reviews for it.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/williamcastle.php#

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/103/1037071p1.html#

This set is the first time Zotz!, 13 Frightened Girls!, and The Old Dark House have been released on DVD. As well, it looks like it includes all the previous extras from the other DVDs as well as few new ones. So yes, the DVDs are the same as the previous releases with a new bonus disc. Unfortunately and a huge mishap in my opinion, 13 ghosts doesn't come with the Illusion-O glasses. So although the effect works, and is the same as the previous DVD, you will have to find your own set of glasses!?

It's a little pricey as well seeing how the single disc releases can be found for $6 or $7. And it's too bad House on Haunted Hill was left out, probably his most popular film, and thus making the collection incomplete.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I wasn't too interested before but according to DVD Drive-In even the re-releases have been remaster significantly:
    http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/williamcastleflmcollection64.htm

So I'm reconsidering. Hopefully the price will come down some more soon.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Way too overpriced. I hope eventually it can be found for less than $30.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Overpriced?! That's 8 movies, all of them remastered and with extras, for less than $10 a pop. Plus there's a feature length documentary. Sounds like a good price to me.

I wish I had known about this sooner, it looks like a fantastic set. C'mon classic forum members, keep me in the loop here!

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, it's still a bit of a high cost up front and not a steal at just under $10 each. Especially when you already own the goods ones on DVD like I do. It's something I'd want, just not a priority. I'm thinking next Halloween.

I could have sworn I posted it somewhere. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Not much action in these parts...

8. maybrick

It's overpriced because it's geared towards William Castle fans who most likely already bought 5 of the 8 titles (of which most can be found still at rock bottom prices). So really, the company is asking people to fork out $80 (minus whatever discount you may find) for the remaining three. That's bullshit. They should be offering these films for individual sale otherwise they're simply fucking us over and forcing us to double dip.

9. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

They showed that on TCM as well, but it was in a daytime slot.

I don't really consider it horror, more of a spy thriller with a few twists.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Ah too bad, thought I caught them all. Oh well, at least I got The Old Dark House :D

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

If it were repackagings of the same ol shiz, then yeah, I'd see the reason to complain. They put a lot of work into the set from the looks of it, though, so it looks more than worth the upgrade.

12. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

As much as I love William Castle fliks, and as nice as this set looks, I pesonally will be waiting on it, solely because dropping 80 bucks on movies at the moment isn't exactly within my means.

13. maybrick

It's only worth an upgrade for those with an eye towards those things. Me, I've come to believe that, unless the old discs were non-anamorphic, 99% of "upgrades" are overstated. At best, everything only ever looks and sounds marginally better than the old releases, and certainly not worth forking out a small fortune for. For instance, I would've been a mite ticked if I had been suckered into replacing all of my old Beatles CDs for the much hyped remasters. Yeah, the new ones sound great, but I really had to strain my ears with headphones to hear the difference between the few tracks I compared. Hopefully the price on this will drop like a stone when few people buy it. Being a Hammer enthusiast I've wanted Old Dark House in my collection for a long time, but I don't want to pay more than $50 (or hell, even $25) to get it.

14. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Works fine for me, although you forgot a D in DVDDrive-in.com, maybe that's it? ;)

16. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Deep Discount has it for $60. I really wanted this but maybe I'll wait for their next sale.

I see there are 2 movies on each of the 4 discs (plus a 5th bonus disc.) Are they flippers or all compressed on one side?

17. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

:lol: No, I spelled it correctly (except for in that last post). The link didn't work for me either. So of all the wacky websites I visit, my employer only blocks DVDdrive-in?

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A couple William Castle double features coming to blu-ray on July 5th from Mill Creek:

13 Ghosts / 13 Frightened Girls!
    Homicidal / Mr. Sardonicus

[​IMG] [​IMG]

$14.98 SRP each (in other words, CHEAP!)

zbinks and buck135 like this.
  19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Nice, any extras ?

20. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'm looking forward to all of those. Homicidal has one of the best twist endings ever. I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect from Mill Creek, but at least they'll be cheap.