WITHOUT WARNING, PHANTOM /PARADISE, MOTEL HELL, LEVIATHAN, More from Shout in August

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, May 9, 2014.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Wow, Blu-ray.com ripped the picture quality of motel hell..

2. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I stopped paying any attention to reviews and opinions over at blu-ray.com awhile ago. Those people over there are flat out fucking insane.

3. Franco

Franco Weekender

Which are the best Blu-ray reviewers currently? What about DVD Beaver? They haven't reviewed it yet I guess but maybe it's a good one for video quality of movies?

4. Mikey Horror

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the Motel Hell blu-ray last night. It looks fine, but I can't say I was blown away by the transfer. Aside from some of the daytime exteriors (most notably the picnic scene), you really don't get much of that 3D effect. There were also a lot of black specs popping up here and there throughout, similar to their Terror Train release. Though I suppose I could be being a little overly critical here, having viewed this in the wake of Synapse's stunning release of Curtains.

There are five featurettes included, two brand new and three carried over from the Arrow release. The highlight is easily the newly produced "It Takes All Kinds" featurette, which includes the film's writers and director, as well as a random band member from Ivan And The Terribles. Thankfully, it's also the longest of the featurettes. The Paul Linke and Rosanne Katon interviews were a lot of fun, glad those were carried over since I never saw the Arrow release. However, the "Ida, Be Thy Name" featurette they carried over from the Arrow release is a real snoozer. You can safely skip that one. No one interviewed there really had anything interesting to say. But the other four featurettes are all must-sees.

Too bad there is no Horror's Hallowed Ground segment. The motel is located on a movie ranch in northern Los Angeles, I'd imagine the owners would let them in to film. Although they currently film ABC's Wipeout there, so maybe that's the issue? I've spotted the motel itself in a few other movies, like Lake Dead and No Secrets.

Also, I watched this cheesy early '90s thriller Silhouette recently, basically a Rear Window rip-off with Faye Dunaway getting stranded in a small Texas town and witnessing a murder. The hotel where Faye Dunaway stays (which happens to be the retirement home from the "Kick The Can" segment in Twilight Zone: The Movie, not to get too far off topic) is run by none other than Nancy Parsons (aka Ida from Motel Hell). Not sure if this was intended as a direct homage, but as a Motel Hell fan, I thoroughly appreciated it.

6. Mikey Horror

So it looks like Scream Factory is using those cheap ass snap flap vortex cases now and I guess it's no coincidence that my copy of Motel Hell arrived yesterday bent to shit. *sigh* Guess it was only a matter of time before the quality dropped and greed set in. More and more everyday, these companies just can't adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

7. CPT HOOK

I watched Without Warning last night, kind of bracing myself after all the negative comments popping up here lately, and ended up pleasantly surprised. I'm sure most would disagree, but I actually preferred this movie to The Deadly Spawn or Evils Of The Night. Sure, it dragged a little bit at times, but for the most part I found it quaint and utterly charming. I guess with a cast like Jack Palance, Martin Landau, and Neville Brand, people were expecting something more along the lines of Alone In The Dark? This is just a goofy little backwoods slasher film where the killer happens to be a disc throwing alien, but hey, I'm totally down for that sort of thing.

Also fun to see David Caruso here, as I'm a sucker for "before they were famous" horror appearances. Loved the story about him and Jack Palance filming the gas station scene. If there was something I didn't like about the film, it's that I wish they had used the alien more, as he disappears for a major chunk of the film. But I was never bored, as I really liked the two main teenagers (and the girl's enormous... braids...), the quirky bar patrons, and just the general atmosphere. The mask for the alien was fantastic, done by Rick Baker.

I spent a big chunk of the movie trying to place where I recognized the main guy. It wasn't until they interviewed him in the extra features and he mentioned Roller Boogie that I realized "oh my God, it's Franklin!". I love that Scream Factory tracked down the two leads for interviews. Even though it doesn't have the fancy schmancy slipcover, they really gave this little movie the same care that they give the movies in their "Collector's Edition" line. And I love them for that.

I noticed that they changed the cases as well. Doesn't really bother me, as long as they don't switch to full-blown eco cases.

Also noticed they've been adding "More From Scream Factory" in the Special Features on their recent releases, a random selection of 4 movie trailers for other Scream Factory releases. As a fan of retro trailers, I've been really enjoying these, even though I already own all the blu-rays they're advertising.

I think Motel Hell had The Funhouse, Terror Train, The Fog, and Without Warning.

Without Warning had Dark Angel, Motel Hell, The Beast Within, and Schizoid.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Did you order yours from Blowitoutahere? Just got mine today and same deal, warped as shit. AND I could hear the discs rattling inside, so I didn't even bother opening it and just sent an email about a replacement/return.

I love their prices, but they ship in plastic baggies with no protection whatsoever and just about everything I've gotten from them has arrived a bit damaged.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Just saw this now. My copy arrived today, and I was hesitant to open it before finding out exactly what the "issue" was. Glad to hear its practically non-existent. Now I can open it. Looking forward to checking the film out for the first time.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

16. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I thought the same and was disappointed when my copy of Lake Placid showed up like that, those cases just don't mail well most of the times. I was happy to find that the copy of Leviathan that just showed up was packaged in a nice Elite case though. Hopefully they will just use these going forward!

17. Mikey Horror

I ordered mine from Diabolikdvd. Not only are these types of cases flimsier and more fragile, they don't hold the discs well at all. Every disc I get which is loose and bouncing around is in one of these types of cases.

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

20. CPT HOOK

Just received Leviathan, and it's in a regular blu-ray case instead of a snapper.

Not sure if the snappers were just temporary, or maybe Leviathan was pressed before those others?