Wolf Creek

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, May 23, 2005.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

For those who saw it in theaters...what all has been added for this "Unrated" edition?

Too many "unrated" discs have come out promising more gore/violence/intensity, however very few actually deliver. I enjoyed the film and will probably buy the "Unrated" version, however I just wanted to know what I should expect.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Just watched it the other night and while it was not "perfect" I was really impressed. Sure, some of the actions by the characters (already mentioned) were a little unbelievable, as was the spoiler-tagged point DrHerbert just made--but this was still so far above and beyond anything I've seen in years that I am willing to forgive.

Personally, I was totally into the characters. Hollywood horror flicks usually stick to the stereotypes and you never have any glimpse of them as "real" people. Just corny dialogue and silly, gross-out humor that is supposed to make you relate to them and care whether or not they get killed. Not the case here. They weren't too-cool teens, just a trio of fairly nice kids out on a bit of a holiday. And how fucking hot was "Ben" anyway??? YOWZA! :p

Yes, it was too slow for American audiences (who are never satisfied anyway) but the realism really paid off for me. Some nice gore effects as well.

I'd say it's worth renting for just about anyone, especially if you have Netflix or something. At worst, you wasted precious time you could have used to watch the HOUSE OF WAX or WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remakes.

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I loved the House of Wax remake, just for one of the actors, Jared Padalecki, and I thought it was a pretty good remake. I saw it at the movies, and 2 times on DVD, which I did buy it on DVD.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I thought Wolf Creek was incredibly average and can't imagine ever caring to see it again. However, if we are judging movies by the better than **insert any hated remake** standard, then yes, it was probably a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Well, yeah, I'm just judging it by what else has come out in the last year or two. And, yes, I know how you feel about THE DEVIL'S REJECTS so let's not even go there. :lol: I felt that this had so much going for it and, while not totally amazing or anything, was quite engaging. It had that HIGH TENSION feel for me. Dirty and Crazy. Me likes!

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I actually enjoyed the slow build up at the start of this movie, I wasn't bored at all and it never seemed to drag. I liked the characters a lot, I liked the look of the movie, the killer was damn cool, BUT once the "nasty" stuff started, I found myself getting taken out of the movie over and over again because of illogical actions taken by the characters. Don't get me wrong, I liked the gore and thought the "Head-On-A-Stick" thing was cool, not to mention the rifle stuff, but as I said before, I just could never stay with the movie for very long in the second half. Strange when you consider that most people seem to think the first half of the flick is the problem.

I'd still be into seeing what these guys do with their next flick as this one showed a lot of promise. Just a few fixes to the story and it would've been an awesome little movie.

7. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I saw it once in theaters, right before Christmas so I can't really do a frame-by-frame gore comparison but nothing especially stood out as being more violent than the R-Rated cut. However, they did insert two of the deleted scenes from the import discs back into the movie.

The first is the scene after the party where Kristy wakes up next to Ben and then goes back to her room to get her stuff. The theatrical version cut right from the party to Liz waking up on the beach.

The second scene was where Liz falls into the well of rotting corpses. This scene was pretty cool but I don't think it would've caused the film to get an NC-17.

If anyone else noticed any other differences, please let me know.

8. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

SPOILER

Mick slams Kristies head into a pole before shoving her face in his crotch.

I did not remember the "slamming against the pole" in the theater, could be wrong though...

9. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

ANd im standing by "Wolf Creek" as definetly in my top 5 favorite horror movies.

10. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I saw the Rated version at Target and was practically stupified on why that cover is so much cooler than the Unrated version. BOO DIMENSION!

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I agree. I almost bought the R-Rated version just because the cover is so much better. I'm pretty sure it's basically the same cover they used for the UK and Australia DVDs.

12. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

saw this last night and loved it. i thought the tv spot was stupid "first he hunts them down, then he lets them go!" uh, i dont remeber him letting them go, but infact they escape, then he hunts them down. begining did drag alittle for me, but i never got to the point where i said "HURRY!" great movie.

13. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

As I mentioned before there is a scene in the commercials where a hand comes up from the wet ground and grabs someone's ankle that isnt in the movie.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with sticking to the "R" version of this film. It's not like the unrated verison is an uncut or directers cut. it's basicly a cash grab. They just added a couple of scenes that the director choose to cut for what ever reason from his version, just to sell a few more copies.

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I liked this one. It had some tense scenes in the last part of the movie and though the first part was more of a road trip movie, I didn't have a problem with it. To me it didn't drag but rather it set up the characters and their personalities for the viewer. I dug the realistic approach of this one and the more viceral moments reminded me of High Tension for some reason.

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Rented this tonight, first viewing. Really enjoyed it and didn't mind the slow build-up at all. Certainly not as graphic and brutal as the hype wants you to believe, but that's okay.

It seems one of those films, though, that while I had a good time with it, I'm not sure I need to ever see it again. Still, a good flick, IMO.

17. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I thought the development of the characters in the first hour would bore me to death but surprisingly enough I found myself really empathizing with them and their situatiion. The film was beautifully shot and the locations were gorgeous. I remember thinking this guy has a great visual eye, then I come to find out on the behind-the-scenes featurette that he's a former photographer. Once the second half kicked in thats when this picture really grabbed hold of me. Were some things ridiculous? Sure, but honestly, when the hell don't things get a little bit ridiculous in a horror movie? There are always characters that make bad choices. And some coincidences just have to be left alone and enjoyed for what they are. Jarratt was awesome as Mick. I'd almost want to see a sequel (if they could do it right) just to see him back in this character's head. Plenty of gore more than satisfied my bloodlust and some really great FX work to boot. 8/10.

18. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

I absolutely did NOT like this boring little nothing of a movie. Jesus did it take FOREVER to get going.

I'm sorry but a psycho 'Crocodile Dundee' doesn't scare or interest me.

19. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Yeah I agree. Apparently the one of two deleted scenes added back in cause continuity errors.
    in the deleted scene Liz is seen trying to load a gun, but she doesn't have the gun anywhere else in the normal cut

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

same here i too really enjoyed this movie too bad they didn't show any flashback kills