Wolf Creek

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, May 23, 2005.

1. I thought it started out ok. I honestly don't mind getting to know characters, then having the film turn on them. It builds tension (for me).
    What really pisses me off is that the film got lazy when it started to rely on typical horror cliches.
    Spoiler Examples:
    Why didn't they push C. Dundee's car over the cliff after they got back up on the hill? Why was she taking the time to look at the videos in the cameras? (and then she saw his truck in one?!) Who the fuck stops in the middle of escaping a madman to rummage through junk and watch some videos? AND then how did he end up in the back seat of the same car she had gotten into? Out of all the cars, he knew she was going to get into that one? Gimme a break. And how long was that last chase? After seven minutes of her flailing and carrying on, I just wanted him to kill her and get it the hell over with. Then that quick ending with the dude nailed to a cross...I felt totally ripped off.

2. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Saw this last night, and didn't like it that much. I have no specific complaints about it, I just wasn't entertained by it. I didn't find it interesting. I think the cinematography was good, the acting was ok (maybe except for the killer), the movie is nice looking when it has to be and shocking and realistic when it wants to be, and I can live with stupid things people do in horror movies (it happens all the time). But the bottom line is I was kind of bored by it...

As much as I didn't like Hostel either, at least I was somewhat entertained by it - boobies are entertaining I guess. Why I compare the two I'm not sure - probably just because it's the last two new horror movies I rented, and they both use torture as their subject matter...

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  3. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

check out this dvd coming out in Australia on June 8th - limited to 800 copies, individually numbered...

4 Disc Limited Collector's Edition

[​IMG]

"Includes original movie, 2 discs of bonus material plus the original soundtrack."

[​IMG]

Although it's exclusive to JB Hi Fi, I saw it listed at another site (ezydvd), but it has since been removed, so I hope it's just that JB bought the rights for it (ie, it's a proper dvd release, not just a promo type thing by JB themselves), but don't know for sure, and don't know what's on the 3rd disc other than "bonus material" (I assume disc 1 & 2 will be the same as the current R4 2-disc Wolf Creek)

jbhifi is here by the way, www.jbhifionline.com.au

don't know how JB go online and with postal orders (local or international - they do ship overseas I'm pretty sure), but I know instore, they're the cheapest I know of in Australia, and they've been around for like 15-20 years (that I know of, so probably longer). So might be worth keeping in mind for the future Oz imports, if not this dvd ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
  4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Saw this tonight. I thought it was quite good, but nothing new. Wasn't really shocking, but it sure was pretty. Only one moment of "yuck", but the rather hackneyed plot hurt it the most.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

My parents arrived from San Francisco today and brought with them a copy of Wolf Creek for me. They are so lovely! Hehe, I thought it was mighty ironic. Especially since they bought Brokeback Mountain for themselves! :rolleyes:

So I guess I now must see this film, although I have no desire to do so ...

6. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

Wolf Creek, is what the TCM remake wanted to be

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Well, after having just watched it ... It's basically what I had expected, disturbing and intense. Not a very "fun" movie at all. But it was actually better than I had thought it would be. Great, realistic performances and some fantastic cinematography. It's a nice film to look at, for sure.

For those who are into horror that is brutal and realistic, then I guess this is a movie for you. I've never liked the "based on a true story" gimmick so the epilogue in this film annoyed me a bit. It IS better than the TCM remake, though. But since I'm not a big fan of horror-realism, I'd personally choose Haute Tension any day over this one. Or even House of Wax! :p

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hehe, here's a funny thing. I was watching Picnic at Hanging Rock just now and about 10 minutes into the film I suddenly realized that Josh Jarratt plays the stable boy in that film!

I was thinking to myslef, man do all Australian-outbackers look like Josh Jarratt and then it hit me - that IS Josh Jarratt! And I'd just watched him as a psycho killer 2 hours ago! He's much more likable in Picnic, and not to mention much more handsome. :p

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

You mean John Jarratt.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Also, before I had seen Wolf Creek, a lot of you said the first half of the movie was really boring and slow. I completely disagree. The whole movie moved very quickly for me. And at least they developed the characters here, instead of just having slash-kill-slash-I-don't-care-about-anybody.

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hehe, yeah John of course. But he looks like such a Josh in Picnic .. :p

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Just rewatched this, and I appreciated it far more this time around. The hackneyed plot didn't bother me, probably because I went in knowing where it was going. Instead I could concentrate on the quality of the overall film and the performances. For a low budget flick, it really is quite special. It's winning me over for sure.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have watched this a few times now and still don't understand why some people have such hate for it. Yes it takes it's time and is deliberately paced but so is TCM. It's grim, realistic and suspenseful. I also don't agree that it's misogynistic, as I have mentioned in the past the women in the film were strong and fought for their friends while the male friend ran away like a mouse. Even if it was about a guy who hates women, so what? Can't a film be about that? Just because you watch a guy who hates women in film doesn't mean you hate women. I've never understand how misogyny is given as a reason to criticize a film.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'm sort of affraid this might be the case for myself if I were to give it another go. I've stood firm on why I didn't like it the first time but I do see it's merits. Who knows, maybe some day ;)

Ash, yes, a film can indeed be about a guy who hates women. That's just not something I personally take pleasure in watching. You compared TCM once again, but swap Leatherface for the guy in Wolf Creek and a lot of the strange macabre facination that made TCM so likable is obliterated. Instead you're left with something too close to reality for comfort.

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

There's a lot of films that could be described as misogynistic, but I think you are right: Wolf Creek is not one of them.

And I agree on this too. I didn't hate the film (even though I fully expected to) and I think it was well made and effective, but reality-horror just isn't for me. It's just disturbing for no good reason.

16. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Alright, about 2 weeks ago my wife and I found this at a used store for cheep. She loved it originally, I didn't. Last night I threw it on to give it another chance.

I really liked it a lot more the second time around. I still got uncomfortable with the woman torture stuff, but I knew it was coming and this time I tried to pinpoint what it is about this movie's treatment of that subject matter that makes me less comfortable than say Devil's Rejects.

I think in Wolf Creek they just went for the throat a little too much for me. Devil's Rejects' scene was also uncomfortable, but you were distracted a little from what was going on by the other characters in the room. In Wolf Creek they're alone and you can see that this guy has already done plenty to this poor woman. Both actors sell this scene really well, too well in fact. I think the voyerism aspect of this scene also plays a part in what makes this scene so hard to watch.

Moving on though, the rest of the film is shot brilliantly. The score and the ambient sounds are just so well done and the isolated atmosphere of the Australian landscape is amazingly translated.

One thing that has been mentioned before, is the revisit to the camp where Liz finds the tapes and such. What I would do, is cut from where she leaves Kristy, straight to when she runs into the garage. Finding the gun, loading the gun, checking out the hole, losing the gun, falling down the hole, finding the tapes, making popcorn while she watches the tapes, etc... could all stand to be omitted. I think the pace of the film would really benefit and the frustration on the viewer's part would be lessened. The whole "let's push the truck over the cliff" part bugs the hell out of me, but I guess that has to stay for continuity reasons. When you follow a scene where Liz shoots Mick in the neck after witnessing the horrors he's done to her friend and getting away with such tedious and frustrating bullshit, it start to call into question whether you are actually enjoying yourself.

Luckily, this time I was able to see past these flaws and allow myself to endulge in the finer points this film has to offer.

So there it is. This one (unlike Texas Chainsaw: Beginning) got better on a second viewing. If you hated it the first time like I did, I highly recommend giving it another shot. Oh and I loved that sniper scene. ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I saw this once so far and I actually enjoyed it. I heard mixed reviews prior. Maybe I should watch it again sometime soon.

18. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I have watched this multiple times and have liked it every time.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well when I saw this I expected it to be terrible and it ended up being okay. There were moments in the film that were just extremely unbelievable and goofy but also some really effectively tense creepy moments as well. To me worth a rent but not a buy. Course I only watched it once and some of you liked it more the 2nd time around.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Sorry, this film falls in the "nihilism-for-13yo" category for me. Well shot though.