Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive In

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Has anyone ever seen this show on RTV network?

http://www.nightmaresinema.com/

It is a cool throw back to the horror hosts. Unfortunately it doesn't work as well nowadays. If I was younger and had less options, I'd love it. The B-Movies they play are horrible and are mostly available on DVD and unless you DVR it, you'll be infuriated with the amount of commercials. It is fun, but nowadays, it is hard to watch something like this. When I was a kid, I would have watched any horror/scifi/fantasy that was on TV because of the amount of options I had. I like that they are trying to bring something like this back though.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Never heard of the show, but it seems like something I'd be into. Too bad I don't get RTV. I wouldn't judge the show based on their movies. Obviously most are PD, since it keeps product costs down. Hell if I had my own, which is something I would love to do, I'd show PD films as well. Good to see a horror hosting show getting nation wide attention. You'd think the Chiller network would have a horror host one night a week.

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I've been checking out this one and the Midnight Monster Hop, but I too am just turned off by the movies they show. When I lived in the Bay Area they had a local show on Saturday nights, but again, the same old PD films.

I'd support it more if it were like the horror host shows of my childhood, which generally had better films. I guess that's just too expensive these days for anyone to do outside the bigger cable networks.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The difference between horror host of today and 30 years ago is that 30 years ago the hosts were hired by various independent TV stations across the country and given a catolog of films and actual budgets to work with. Today, there are almost no independent stations and the cost of licensing films is prohibitively expensive, and cable networks (that hold a monopoly on both stations AND films) have discovered that it's more profitable to run infomercials than to give the airtime to these kinds of programs. Thus, Horror hosts have largely and with very few exceptions been banished to public access and forced to pay out of pocket, and so pd films are what has to be shown. The Hosts of today aren't paid, they're all fans who do it out of love for the genre. If things were different, then most likely horror host programs wouldn't be showing anything all that good anyways, most likely newer films like Ghost Rider and Constantine. Whatever their parent company already had the rights to. It's doubtful that they'd be anything of real "classic" status.

I like Wolfman Mac! I had never heard of him before but clearly he's one of the better ones out there. I've seen a lot of horror hosts and most of them are cringe inducingly awful and make the grave mistake of ad-libbing their lines when they simply don't have that talent in their arsenal. But Mac is actually good. He must use a teleprompter or something.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I live in Metro Detroit, where this show started up about two years ago, so I'm familiar with it. We've met Wolfman Mac several times at various events around town, and he's great in person and really loves what he does. For two years in a row, he's officiated over Halloween weddings, and he shows movies and shorts at a local theater the first Thursday of every month. I've seen Psychomania, Attack of the Giant Leeches, and Spider Baby at these live shows. He's been trying to get syndicated and go national for a while now, so kudos to him and his crew for RTV and the several other stations he's picked up recently. If you get the chance, check the show out; even if the movie's a stinker, it's still fun!

6. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Long Live Horror Hosts! Truly an endangered part of our pop culture.

7. maybrick

That's actually a common misconception. Believe it or not there are more on the air right now than probably any other time in history. (I even have a horror host show of my own.) If you have a public access channel chances are there's one on it, and if not, there will be very soon in the near future. Super fast download speeds on the internet have made it extremely easy for tv programs to spread rapidly across the country. For instance, the show I that work on, Saturday Fright Special, has in the past year gone from coast to coast: From Portland, ME to Portland, OR. Horror hosts are here to stay!

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

In these days of digital cable and satellite, public access channels are another endangered part of our pop culture! :p

Point well taken, but public access and internet shows just aren't the same. There is a whole new generation of kids growing up who will never stumble across a Gamera movie on Friday or Saturday night television. Poor kids. (Or lucky kids? YOU BE THE JUDGE!)

9. maybrick

Times change! It can't be the 70s forever, you know! :p I know there are always people out there that want to do away with public access (why those jerks are so against having a medium in which to voice their freedom of speech is beyond me!), but I don't know of any communities off the top of my head that have actually lost it. Threatened? Sure. Endangered? I don't know about that. At least, around here in New England it appears that more towns have public access now than they did 20 years ago.

There are plenty of kids stumbling upon Gamera on Friday and Saturday Night television... on public access horror host shows! And kids are watching. I know that for a fact. :) Of course it's not the same, because let's face it, there's a 100 more channels to compete for time than there were when we were that age so, yeah, the viewing audience is only going to be a fraction of what it used to be. :(

10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

What, you mean I'm saving those disco balls, bell bottom pants and silk shirts for nothing? :p

Yeah, but who actually watches it? It's pretty much a niche group. Most people I know wouldn't even know how to access it.

Yeah but not THAT many. I mean, come on, you have to admit its not a very big market.

Totally true. Yeah I realize that the world is much different now and I'm glad the old tradition is staying alive and moving into new mediums. Its just one of those regrettable casualties of changing times, sort of like drive-ins. I mean I wouldn't change my gazillion HD channels for only 3 networks and UHF, but you MIGHT persuade me to change all-night infomercials for more horror host programming like in the old days. :)