Women's Prison Massacre (aka Blade Violent) r1 disc

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DefJeff, Apr 17, 2005.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I see this finally has a NTSC region 1 release! Any idea who released the disc? or any information on the DVD itself? Diabolik has it for $8.99.

You know I can't get enough Franca Stoppi or Laura Gemser.

What's with the cover compairing this movie to Scarface? Ha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3. DefJeff

Way to come through with the link, thanks alot! What a shame to see this version is cut. :mad:

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's cut? Damn, is the old VHS cut too I guess? I still have that around here somewhere. I guess I still may pick it up since it's so cheap.

5. Katatonia

Found this one out early at Best Buy last night. Had a 10% off coupon so that was cool.

Nice package, and does include a liner notes booklet inside. Too bad the damn thing is cut, but the 16x9 transfer is struck from a new telecine from a 35mm print.

EDIT: After watching the DVD last night, I was less than enthused. The print they used for the transfer had quite a bit of dirt/dust damage and artifacts. Another disappointing thing...NO CHAPTER SELECTIONS! The only thing on the main menu are "Play Feature" and "Trailers Page". And also there was no time code thingy on the DVD! So you can't even see how long until the movie ends like on practically any other DVD released these days. So, I wouldn't really say this new DVD release is much better than the old VHS edition unfortunately.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Picked this disc up for ten bucks at FYE and caught up with it tonight. The first half of the film is a campy masterpiece, complete with horrible dubbing and highly quotable dialogue. However, disinterest set in once the gang was sent to the prison. But Laura Gemser was as beautiful as ever, and how can you go wrong with Gemser, Lorraine De Selle, and Franca Stoppi in a film at the same time?

The transfer, while 16X9 enhanced, is just plain awful. Colors were strong but, as Katatonia pointed out, the scratches and marks were horribly distracting. The sound was passable, but there were many pops heard throughout.

My main complaint is that this is the cut version of the film. This might not have bothered me so much except that the cuts are quite noticeable. There are even times when I didn't know a character was killed off because they didn't show it at all... so it made the film look amateurish and succeeded in thoroughly confusing me.

I'm happy to have this one in my collection, if only for the fantastic first half of the movie, but it could have been a lot better if only more restoration had been done. It makes me wish that someone like BU or even Shriek Show had picked it up, as they probably would have done a better job with the transfer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  7. DefJeff

Thanks for the rundown guys, even though everything about the disc seems pretty awful, I'm still so tempted just for the great cast line-up that PC mentioned. Maybe I will pick it up if I see it around at Best Buy or whatever, since it is really cheap.

How about some screen shots of Franca for us, Ryan? :p I could use a couple good avatar candidates.

8. It's ridiculous in this day and age that companies are still putting out cut versions of cult horror and exploitation films. It's almost like they've never learned a damn thing.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Sure, I'll whip up some screenshots in a little bit. :)

10. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

Is the old VHS under the title BLADE VIOLENT Uncut?

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Finally made up those screenshots for DefJeff and decided to post them here as well:

[​IMG]

Sometimes the transfer is great...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and other times, not so great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really varies in quality, but the tremendous amount of dirt and debris is REALLY distracting.

12. DefJeff

Thanks alot Ryan, I appreciate you taking those for me.

13. DefJeff

"Take my advice and go die!"

Well I went ahead and bought this anyways, because I saw it just sitting there on the store shelf.

God do I wish this was out here uncut, even in this chopped up version, this movie was so fun and entertaining. Filled to the brim with hilarious, cheesy dialogue. My only complaint is Franca Stoppi had very little time in this film. :(

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You're right, this could have done with more Franca and less idiot male criminals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
  15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I picked this up as well. It does kinda suck that it's cut, but I enjoyed the film overall.

16. DefJeff

There was one on mine Katatonia, maybe it just didn't like your DVD player? :p

17. Katatonia

Possibly so, but I can see that it's... say 30:53 minutes into the movie, It just won't tell me there's so and so minutes left on the movie, like -23:56

No biggie really, but I hate when discs do that!

18. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

i was about to buy this yesterday,glad i didnt and what was cut from the film

19. DefJeff

I dunno if you read that review posted earlier in the thread, but this is a list of cuts from that review. They said it's only partial, but I couldn't find anything listed anywhere else (granted, I didn't look very hard).

Oh yeah, Katatonia I don't know if mine says the -23:00 thing either. I thought you ment how far into the disc it was like you said yours has. I was just kidding around with you anyways, but sorry for the misinformation. Oops!

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yup, the cuts are pretty horrendous. However, the disc is worth the ten bucks if only for the hilarious dialogue, and the fact that Gemser and Stoppi are in it. :)