Wonder Woman (2017) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jun 1, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Wonder Woman (2017, Pattie Jenkins)

Well the DCEU has got off to a pretty rough start but this long gestating Wonder Woman adaptation is a step in the right direction. Fora start it feels like a real film, with time to set things up properly, character development and a color pallet that looks like a film rather than a de-saturated computer game.

Not unlike Captain America: The First Avenger, this has a period setting that breaths some fresh air into it. Set in World War One, Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) wants to end the great war and is surrounded by some interesting characters led by Chris Pine (Hell Over High Water) as the love interest.

The third act is where it falls apart for me, it feels messy and the support characters are given very little to do. I can imagine a handful of scenarios that would have been more thrilling while sitting on my chuff for five minutes. Still on the whole this is a good adventure and hopefully we will see some good things from the Aquaman movie... I am not holding my breath on the Justice League film.

6-6.5

PS Also I will add, that whilst I liked her theme music ( the same that was used in Batman v superman, I did not like the scoring in general, kinda cheesy

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well it did over 100 million opening weekend in the states, so surely some of you saw it?

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My wife and I saw it and while it didn't live up to my hopes from the trailers I still really enjoyed it. Gal Gadot is great as Wonder Woman. She makes the film worth watching and she is in virtually every scene. Perhaps just a bit long at 141 minutes but overall the pacing is well done. Information and powers are introduced that I was unfamiliar with but as I didn't follow the comics I don't know if it was made up for the movie or not. Still recommended theatrical viewing.

thing likes this.
  4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The powers are from the comics.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Well, it's certainly a step in the right direction. But, it's still bogged down in the latter half by the unfocused approach that has been plaguing all of the DCU movies for me. But, at least this one gets things right about 75% of the time.

That said, the first half is definitely the best and really quite excellent. The Amazons are pretty stunning to watch in action. Gadot is fantastic. Yes, she might be a bit limited as an actress, but the film is wise enough to play solidly to her strengths. She handles naive(?) optimism/determination really well. Very much like Captain America - my favorite from the MCU. And she is pretty excellent in the action sequences. Pine (I really don't get the criticisms that he, in general, is dull/boring/wooden as an actor) is really good, especially with the humor. The fish out of water bits actually worked really well. The banter is really well done. And the build-up and reveal of Wonder Woman's powers is really well handled. And, yeah, the charge across No Man's Land is very very cool. It's a great payoff for all that has come before.

But, after that, the film seems to lose some of its confidence. None of it is bad. It's just not very original. There are still moments of good stuff - Steve and Diana's conversation about whether or not Ares exists or if war is just human nature, in particular, is really good and showed promise that the film might actually have some depth. But, the film just fails to stick to its guns and it falls into a lot of the same sloppy/lazy mistakes that have weighed down that other DCU movies. Particularly in the climax. It's rather bland and full of predictable tropes. And there are moments when the CGI double comes of pretty cheap, out of date, and obvious. But, for me the biggest frustration was that the film kept cutting back to Steve and his action story too much. It took away from what should have been Wonder Woman's biggest moment. It's almost as if they didn't think she could have carried the end of the film on her own. And that's a big shame.

On the plus side though, while the film makes mistakes, none of its bad parts get even remotely close to the worst parts of the previous DCU films. The editing is solid and appropriate. The action is well choreographed and wonderfully shot. The performances are all good. The characters are consistent and the story is (mostly) clear and focused.

But, the score is pretty dreadful. Outside of the main theme (which actually is pretty good) the music is so derivative of more iconic recent scores that it gets distracting at times. You can tell exactly what they used as temp tracks when they were editing. Egregious standouts were obvious rip-offs from Fury Road, Inception, and Aliens. Seriously. They are still ripping off Aliens?

In the end though, it's still a really good film and well worth the time. It may not equal MCUs best. But, it's certainly on par with their Phase One films.

thing likes this.
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I decided to rewatch the first captain america after seeing Wonder Woman as its the most comparable setting wise. I vastly preferred the consistency and story-telling of Cap and its just a better film all around but Wonder Woman was still pretty good fir the first two thirds.

7. sade

sade Member

I am baffled by the success of this movie, Superman VS Batman is a masterpiece by comparison. The most generic plot/back story, add some "Spice Girls (girl power) level feminism, a 'multicultural' side kicks that are just there to bring some comic relief that has no place.

8. russweiss

It's only made 670 million. I'm sure this is the last we'll see of Wonder Woman.

9. sade

sade Member

Didn't it cost like $150 million, although it wouldn't be surprised if they spent as much on marketing.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

What? The film was a tremendous success in every facet.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I enjoyed WW but I agree that it's getting a bit over praised by everyone. Some parts felt a bit disjointed and Ares look was a bit of a letdown, especially when he was meant to look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what the he'll happened with this look but it's badass and they should have kept it.

I'm hoping JL doesn't suffer from the studio tampering and Zack can have his vision on screen the way he wants it. With the reshoots and Whendon's involvement now I'm a little worried but still hopeful as it's one of my most anticipated releases this year.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

Wow this was good. I really enjoyed it, especially going in with really no expectations. I can't imagine WW2 not happening.

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It's happening.

14. russweiss

I guess people didn't realize I was being sarcastic. Personally I enjoyed the film and look forward to more Wonder Woman.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I didn't catch that, sorry. I read your post rather quickly.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I saw it at the theater earlier, although it wasn't really my choice. The movie was okay overall, but simply far too long and bloated. I think they could have easily shaved 30+ minutes off this one and not harmed the plot at all. It's almost like they purposely dragged some scenes out to try to fatten it up to the typical "Epic" running time.

The main music score wasn't too great itself, but ugh...that HORRIBLE song with the terrible vocals in the end credits. Who wrote that shit!? A pre-schooler tapping his ass against a Xylophone could have come up with a better song than that.

Gal Gadot was great, but some of the other acting in the movie could easily win some Razzie awards. And then there was that Jar-Jar Binks "sniper" character, who really served no purpose other than being an annoying eyesore.

The direction, editing, music, and acting were all just sorely lacking. It could have been far better than it turned out to be.

17. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Finally saw this yesterday as well. I enjoyed it but I guess I'm in a minority because I thought Gadot was the weak link in the movie. Because the supporting cast was so good her weaknesses just really stood out to me. I didn't feel any chemistry between her and Pine and her face-offs with Ludendorff and Ares just felt very by-the-numbers. (In her defense that last part of the movie was written very by-the numbers. What a waste of the Ludendorff and Dr. Maru characters!)

To me she just never owned the character. I wanted to be excited to watch her do her thing but I was just always aware I was watching a pretty model-actress playing dress up.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watched it yesterday, though it was okey.

The opening act on the island was a bit cheesy.
    The FX during the training, made it look silly, instead of spectacular.

When they got to London, the movie improved a bit, though the movie kinda lost me during the last act.

They sadly fucked up some of the action, when they went into Zach Snyder mode = Slow motion, whenever someone leaves the ground....
    I hate the slow-mo/normal/slow-mo/fast editing. "Look how super cool it looks!!" No, no it doesn't...
    The use of CGI stunt double was jarring at times, thanks to the gravity going through the window, and lacking in overall weight.

I was watching the Captain America trilogy a few days earlier, and it's amazing how much more realistic the action looks and feels, thanks to much more on set stunts and destruction. Marvel seems to have a much better CGI company working for them, since the blending of real actor and CGI double is far less obvious.

I wish they did the same kind of action in Wonder Woman, because when the real Gadot was there, kicking ass, without any use of CGI, it looked pretty good.
    But then she jumps through a building, and it turns into a cartoon. Which would work much better, if the rest of the movie was just as cartoony.

Many have compared the movie to Captain America, so I was kinda expecting something of the same quality, but sadly, it just doesn't reach the same level.
    The characters, except for Gadot and Pine's, was boring and bland. The script and dialogue was all over the place.
    As usual with DC movies, it felt like scenes from different movies, stitched together, making the overall tone and flow unbalanced.
    I also wish that they had cut it down by at least 15-20 minutes.

Suicide Squad had some problems, but I still think it's the most entertaining DC movie so far, with the R-rated version of Superman VS Batman on the second spot.

Wonder Woman is still entertaining in parts, and I like Gadot, but it got way overhyped.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This steaming pile of shit basically served as background noise until my farts forced my bf from the room. Then I ejected the disc and put it in the mailbox, even though it's 10pm; I don't want it in the house. DC gets worse with each movie.

Workshed likes this.
  20. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.