Worst Horror Remake?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Mark Relford, Jul 9, 2001.

?

Worst Horror Remake?

1. Psycho (1998)

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Carnival of Souls (1998)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. The Shining (TV mini-series)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Piranha (1995)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. King Kong (1976)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Godzilla (1998)

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. The Haunting (1999)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Dracula (Langella)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Just when you thought it was safe...

It's poll time, kiddies! Here's the companion piece to the Worst Horror Sequel poll. So, grab those barf bags and vote!

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I voted for psycho. Damn that so called movie pissed me off. i can't believe I wasted money renting it.

3. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    gotta go with the haunting

4. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Yep, definitely "The Haunting". -God, I hate it. CGI is quite simply the root of all evil !. And "Carnival" must be a close 2nd. -What a disgrace.

5. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

The Shining TV mini-series, hands down, what a pile of shit!

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

I actually liked The Shining TV miniseries. I haven't read the book, but from what I've heard on the net, it's a better representation of the novel.

My vote when to Psycho 1998 - a total slap in the face to Hitchcock. Normally I hate remakes; I think they're a waste of time. I loved Night of the Living Dead 1990, though.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

The Piranha remake was terrible! It tried to play like a scary film when the original plot was laughable to begin with!

As far as my feelings concerning The Shining TV Mini-Series, I thought it was good entertainment, but not nearly as good as Kubrick's film. It was much truer to the book (with the hedge animals and the further focus on the ghosts) but being a TV Movie it lacked adequate actors and was pretty toned down compared to most horror.

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Definitely the Haunting

What a piece of shit! I hated every second of it, and I haven't even seen the original.

Am I the one person in the world who didn't hate the Psycho remake? I thought it was decent.

9. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

All right, all ready

So HackMaster, where's the Russo poll? :mad:

Just joking with you! I voted for Psycho, though I must confess I haven't seen all the others. I don't think it was a weak film, just a waste of time and talent. I would have liked to see Van Sant try to actually remake the film, rather than just reshoot it. He was gonna get flamed either way, would've been interesting to see what he might've done different.

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Re: All right, all ready

Ace, be careful what you wish for.:D

As for lousy horror remakes, my vote went to the putrid Psycho remake. (What a waste!)
    I forgot to add Carpenter's yawn inducing remake of Village of the Damned. (Right, rhett?);):D

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Hey, what is the Langella Dracula doing here? I rather enjoyed it. BTW: I thought John Carpenter's Village of the Damned to be adequate, not great but enjoyable enough.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Had to go with Psycho.

I mean, why do remakes in the first place? Well, you do them if you want to upgrade the special effects to modern standards (The Thing, The Fly), update the story to fit with modern times (The Blob), or show an aspect of the story not explored the first time (The Shining).

Some of these updates work, some don't. In The Haunting, they tried to update everything but lost the appeal of the original. Very bad remake, but at least in their minds they thought they could improve on the original. Of course, they were 100% wrong.

Now, if you decide to do the film EXACTLY the way it was originally done, aren't you flat-out admitting the original is already flawless?? The Psycho remake was doomed from frame 1 if only by the style VanSant set out to do.

We often call remakes "unneccessary", but when even the guy remaking the film essentially admits it's not neccessary, why should I watch it?? 20 pounds of stupid in a 10-pound bag.

13. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Right on

I prefer "about as sharp as a bag of wet mice," but I agree completely.

14. The Psycho Remake....

...Sucked *ss!!! I'm guilty of actually liking the Psycho series (Psycho I-IV) & I thought this would be the remake to end all remakes!...BOY, was I wrong!

I personally didn't see a point in making a movie EXACTLY like its predecessor (except in color & a couple of 'jerk off' scenes). Gimme Anthony Perkins over Vince Vaughn any day.

Special note of interest....
    Anthony Perkins' widow also died in one of the hijacked planes. :(

Read it here if U don't believe me: http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/1091690

15. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

The House on Haunted Hill remake was pure shit. The original was a LOT better.

A lot of remakes are complete cash cows. Most don't even improve anything over the originals except better picture quality.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My Pick: The Island of Dr. Moreau

...lots of talents wasted...

i liked the Psycho remake, and i thought The Haunting was kinda fun.

17. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Psycho (1998) what a fucking turkey gobble gobble gobble.

18. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Godzilla (1998). What a piece of crap!!

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

There have been so many bad remakes since this thread started in 2001. Of them all The Fog remake left a particularly bad impression. A good contrasting point between it and Carpenter’s original is the lighthouse location. In the original it takes Stevie Wayne ages to get to it. It’s a long drive and she has to make her way up hundreds of steps. This really establishes how isolated she is. In the remake it’s a CGI building on the side of the road. Also, the Psycho remake is actually a good movie.

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

No matter how bad a remake is, it's still good for getting a special edition released of the original...