Worst of Shyamalan

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jun 13, 2008.

?

vote

1. Praying With Anger (1992)

2.3%
  2. Lady In The Water (2006)

34.9%
  3. Wide Awake (1998)

2.3%
  4. The Village (2004)

34.9%
  5. The Happening (2008)

9.3%
  6. Signs (2002)

11.6%
  7. Unbreakable (2000)

2.3%
  8. The Sixth Sense (1999)

2.3%
  1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I remember when Alien Abduction first aired on UPN and they tried to pass it off as real despite the fact that there were recognizable actors in it. :lol:

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Haven't seen Praying, Wide Awake or Happening yet, but went ahead and voted for Lady in the Water.
    I just can't see anything being as bad as that, I don't even know where to begin. No twist, self casting, went nowhere, bored to tears. The only good thing that came out of that movie was that review that likened it to "walking in on your roommate masturbating to pictures of himself".:lol: That line is good and cracks me up anytime I think of it, even more than the Michael Irvin picture or the tagline of Pirhanas on an Escalator ("if I were you, I'd take the stairs").
    Juts cuz I mentioned it, here's Michael!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I vote for all of them. :)

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Signs for me, as I've yet to watch a film of his since then. Good set-up, a few great moments, and then complete shit for a finale. The Happening looks like it could be pretty good, but I'll reserve judgment for DVD rental, as I'm not paying $8 for the possibility of a lame twist.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Out of the ones listed I've only seen:

Signs (2002)
    Unbreakable (2000)
    The Sixth Sense (1999)

So my pick is Signs.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

His worst film opened today.Here's the twist to THE HAPPENING,it SUCKS (okay,maybe some of you saw it coming.).

7. Sam

Sam Member

Two people have already seen THE HAPPENING? :eek: I voted for LADY IN THE WATER. He's been somewhat of a one hit wonder with me, but I'm going to give Happening a shot with a cheaper matanee viewing this summer.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Easily The Happening. Although both The Village and Lady in the Water were very bad.

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I love The Village. Sue me.

The Happening, on the other hand... It's like, someone kicked my soul in the balls for 90 solid minutes. Not an experience I would recommend. At all.

10. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

I love nearly everything he's done. The typical "twist endings" usually don't ruin the film for me, although I think he could do without them. Anyhoo, I voted for the Sixth Sense. The least original of his films and the one that relies heaviest on the twist ending, thus making it harder to ignore :)

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I hated SIGNS so much I vowed I would never watch another one of his films, so I haven't.

There were a few effective scenes in SIGNS, but taken as a whole, I really despised it. The cutesy kids would ruin any moment of tension the film had built up, but I mainly just hated the whole way of thinking that the story was built around.

12. Spacevis

care to elaborate? what was the way of thinking it was built around in your opinion?

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

It seemed to be coming from this egocentric worldview--that God would cause a global catastrophe just so Mel Gibson could renew his faith. It's the same type thinking you see in people with certain personality disorders and other mental illnesses, that world events happen "because of me."

14. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Praying With Anger didn't like it at all. Wide Awake is a piece of poop too.

15. Spacevis

That's an interesting point. The "this is all because of me" way of thinking you refer to is indeed the logic in psychosis. The psychotic thinks himself to be the object that completes the other, and therefore assumes all that happens in the other is directed to him, organized around him, etc. He's the one that animates the other.

However, I'm not sure this is what's going on in Gibson's character's mind. He lost his faith as a way of giving meaning to his life because he was faced with the absurdities of life (losing his wife in a car accident, her final words having no meaning at all) and he rebuilds his world being confronted with another absurdity (the alien invasion). At this point he reinterprets his wife's last words and regains his faith as a way to give meaning. Well, obviously, it's a little more complex, but that's wht he made the idea into a movie and not into a 2 line forum comment :D

There's something very ambiguous about the way we use faith that Shyamalan tackles very well in this film. IMO, he does the same with science in his latest film 'The Happening'.
    Is the final logic a psychotic one? Maybe. It's an interesting point, but doesn't invalidate his stance on the ambiguity of faith as a way to give meaning. Absurdity can make it stronger or make you lose it completely.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've enjoyed all his films, but went with THE VILLAGE because it was definitely the most pompous and one note. The other movies are still pretty self-fellating, but his Bush rhetoric goes over and above in THE VILLAGE.