Worst of the recent remakes (last 10 years)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 2, 2007.

?

Worst of the last 10 years.

1. The Fog (2005)

35.4%
  2. The Wicker Man (2006)

8.5%
  3. Pulse (2006)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Black Christmas (2006)

9.8%
  5. When a Stranger Calls (2006)

2.4%
  6. Thir13en Ghosts (2001)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Hitcher (2007)

1.2%
  8. Chaos (2005)

3.7%
  9. Carrie (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. House of Wax (2005)

1.2%
  11. The Omen (2006)

2.4%
  12. 2001 Maniacs (2005)

2.4%
  13. Toolbox Murders (2004)

1.2%
  14. The Grudge (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. The Amityville Horror (2005)

2.4%
  16. House on Haunted Hill (1999)

1.2%
  17. Psycho (1998)

13.4%
  18. The Haunting (1999)

4.9%
  19. Carnival of Souls (1998)

1.2%
  20. Other (specify)

8.5%
  1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Black Christmas

2. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

The Fog gets my vote. Thats one remake recently that I can think of that had not a single redeeming quality. It took the original, shit on it and then, for good measure, threw up on it. Uggh. Black Christmas & Thirteen Ghosts would tie for my second choice. But with how much that went down behind the scenes on Black Christmas, I'm willing to give it a pass.

I really liked Amityville. The original I have a hard time sitting all the way through anymore without getting bored to tears. The remake at least brought some fun to it.

Psycho & The Omen were pointless remakes, but not the worst. They were both shot-for-shot and to say the remakes were bad almost feels, to me anyways, like saying the originals were bad.

The rest, most I've seen and found some sort of enjoyment in them, or just haven't had a desire to see all together.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I enjoyed 2001 Maniacs, it was a fun watch. The Fog is also much better than some would have you believe. If you lighten up a bit, there's entertainment to be had there, imo.

Still, there are some stinkers there for sure - ultimately though, I went with Toolbox Murders. Why? Because while the other remakes might have failed or left people underwhelmed, they at least - basically - tried to stick with some remnant of the original. The Toolbox Murders didn't, it just stole the original films title, and then went on to be something else - something not very good.

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I haven't even seen any of the listed remakes:lol: ,and i plan to keep it that way.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think The Toolbox Murders is one of the best of the films on that list. Is it great? No, but neither was the original. I liked the new story and thought Angela Bettis did a terrific job as always.

I also liked House of Wax when I saw it in theaters, but I have a feeling I would like it much less if I watched it again. I also enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill and The Omen.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  6. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

There were so many bad remakes, it's difficult to choose just one. But I picked The Omen. It was, in a word: horrendous.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Thought The Toolbox Murders was very well done as well.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I've only seen half of them, and have pretty much enjoyed all the remakes that I have seen. Most of them don't even compare to the originals, but I can usually find something I like.

Psycho and Omen weren't bad at all, pretty much they were just the same movie as the originals but with a few updated effects (not to the point where they were all CG and stood out though). I think people hate them more for the pointlessness of them, and not for the movies themselves. Although I would almost always rather watch the originals, sometimes the bright colour palette from Psycho, or the edgier Omen are fun to watch.

House on Haunted Hill, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Toolbox Murders, and House of wax I liked a lot. They were jsut fun, gory movies, and I love the director of House's messed up dark style. I think if he had a great script he could make a really good horror movie, as most of his moves aren't very good, but are still fun to watch becasue of his style.

Haunting, 13 Ghosts, Wicker Man, and Amityville horror were okay as well, althoguh I think they were hit with the CG bug.

The rest I haven't seen, except The Fog, which is the only remake that I truely dislike! And it was the one I thought I'd like... Horrible!

9. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Far too many. The Texas Pseudomassacre should be there, too... But I think I will save the vote for Rob Zombie's remake of "The Exorcist" and Eli Roth's "Bad Seed 2008: Badder Seeder".

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Oh it's a remake all right. No matter how much the creators say it isn't.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I hated it, but surely you must admit, as a remake it's a bit of a joke?

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I passed on most of these,but,of the ones listed that I have seen,I have to go with PSYCHO,the most " what the hell were they thinking" film of the bunch.It entered a whole new realm of bad when the cow popped up during the stabbing scene .
    One more recent remake not listed here which I detested was THE STEPFORD WIVES.A classic example of a big studio film going completely off the rails during production and then being squirted out into theaters like cinematic afterbirth.That film makes no sense at all.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh, I forgot that one, Stepford Wives really didn't do very well, and was one of the more underwhelming titles for sure. Trouble is, it has Nicole Kidman in it, and I tend to get overwhelmed by her even if she's in trash.....

14. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

2001 Maniacs was actually not bad. Despite being DTV, it's more enjoyable than most of the theatrical remakes on the list. It's not like the original was a masterpiece anyway. :lol:

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Exactly. The original is irreverent, daft, silly, and tongue in cheek. And so was the remake. It was supposed to be dumb, over the top, and simplistically stupid - which it was. As with the original, it's simply fun to watch, rather than being impressive in any cinematic way.

Of course, Roth was involved, so no matter what, it'll get abuse from some parties. For me, it was bubblegum horror, and I think it's worthy.

16. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

This one is easy, for me.

Godzilla (1998) AKA GINO AKA POS

Given the budget, history of the character, and the potential it had, Godzilla (1998) is easily the movie, remake or otherwise, that I hate the most. Period.

I remember watching it in the theater and feeling like a kid who showed up all excited for his birthday party, only to discover Roland Emmerich and Matthew Broderick already there, smashing my presents and eating my cake.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  17. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:mad:

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The worst part is that The Stepford Wives COULD be remade into a good movie if done properly. I've said this before, so forgive me if I repeat myself. In the original, you had women who wanted to be liberated and independent, only to become the stereotypical housewives they detested. A modern version could have women who don't want to become minivan-driving soccer moms, and turn into just that. Like I said, it could have been done well....

20. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn, that's rough. I haven't seen this one and I really don't plan to... ever.