Worst of the recent remakes (last 10 years)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 2, 2007.

?

Worst of the last 10 years.

1. The Fog (2005)

35.4%
  2. The Wicker Man (2006)

8.5%
  3. Pulse (2006)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Black Christmas (2006)

9.8%
  5. When a Stranger Calls (2006)

2.4%
  6. Thir13en Ghosts (2001)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Hitcher (2007)

1.2%
  8. Chaos (2005)

3.7%
  9. Carrie (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. House of Wax (2005)

1.2%
  11. The Omen (2006)

2.4%
  12. 2001 Maniacs (2005)

2.4%
  13. Toolbox Murders (2004)

1.2%
  14. The Grudge (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. The Amityville Horror (2005)

2.4%
  16. House on Haunted Hill (1999)

1.2%
  17. Psycho (1998)

13.4%
  18. The Haunting (1999)

4.9%
  19. Carnival of Souls (1998)

1.2%
  20. Other (specify)

8.5%
  1. Chad

Chad Member

[SIZE=-1]Every last goddamn one of them. Remakes lower IQ points.

But if I must choose one I'd have to go with "[/SIZE]House of Wax". Thankfully I've only had to endure a handful of those.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Not really... there's a killer in an apartment building. That's close enough for me! There have been plenty of great remakes that didn't stick closely to the plot of the original.

ACK! I forgot about that one! Possibly the worst remake of all-time...

I agree 100%. Also, the original had comedic elements but was mostly a serious movie. Turning the remake into an all-out comedy was a mistake on the writer's part, because the premise isn't very funny to begin with and the jokes in the movie weren't either. The audience I saw the movie with was laughing hysterically and I just sat there rolling my eyes through the entire movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Not really... there's a killer in an apartment building. That's close enough for me!--

:lol:

Well done. :lol:

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Indie, I saw your vote. This is the *worst* remake thread, not the *best* one. Just a heads up. :D

5. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I haven't seen a lot of the remakes on the list but I rented Black Xmas (2006) tonight and wow, talk about having no soul. I was laughing throughout.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Of the ones I've seen :The Fog (2005), Pulse (2006), When a Stranger Calls (2006), Thir13en Ghosts (2001), Chaos (2005), Carrie (2002), House of Wax (2005), Toolbox Murders (2004), The Grudge (2004), The Amityville Horror (2005), House on Haunted Hill (1999), and The Haunting (1999)

I'd probably have to vote for The Fog. It bored me silly. I toyed with voting for Toolbox Murders but I just can't do that to Angela Bettis and Pulse was also a close contender.

I don't know. I really liked House On Haunted Hill, The Grudge, and House of Wax. None of them will ever be classics but they were entertaining.

7. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Didn't even have to see the choices, the title of this poll brought one movie immediately to mind...The Fog!!!
    That shmuck from Smallville dug his grave in the genre when he talked trash about how bad the original was and how this movie would eclipse it ten fold....how that work out for ya slapnuts!!!

8. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Welling said so about the real "Fog"? What a dolt... a much greater dolt than I thought.

Fortunately, even a horde or 13-year old girls going to see "like, that movie with Tomigosh!" didn't save this one from bombing. Sometimes there is justice, even in the movie world.

9. Criswell

Criswell New Member

2001 maniacs was so fucking offensive to a dedicated (old school) Lewis fan its not funny.

Just awful.

The Fog was bad, but it was just new Millenium bad.... as in just another bad re-make.

10. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Where's the "all of the above" option. I enjoyed 2001 Maniacs but everything else was unnecessary and pointless.

11. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

Ive only see 3 off that list.I voted for the fog cause its terrible.I didnt care for most of house on haunted hill but like house of wax.

12. nullman

nullman Member

I am suprised more people have not said When a stranger Calls. That was a FUCKING lifetime movie sent to the big screen.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

Other for The Hills Have Eyes. What a joke that movie is. Piranha was sort of fun, but overall, Aja is the purest definition of a one-hit wonder I can remember. Will see how Horns pans out.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The better the original movie is, the worse the remake.

Which is why, not surprisingly, the remakes for The Crazies, Maniac, and When a Stranger Calls were not that bad.

The only exception to the rule is My Bloody Valentine. The remake was a lot worse than the original but the original was not a good film.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Can't really say because I haven't even bothered to sit through most of them, but I had to go with Psycho. Say what you want about all the other remakes, at least they went their own way with it, but a shot for shot remake and of a classic masterpiece, no less? There's just no excuse for that. That has to be the most pointless motion picture ever put to film. I feel embarrassed for having ever watched it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Got to disagree. The original Maniac was great and remake of When a Stranger Calls was not good. Also the uncut version of the original My Bloody Valentine is one of the best slashers of the 80's.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought the The Hills Have Eyes might of been the best of the remakes.

18. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

The Fog hands down. It takes alot for me to walk out of a movie I paid for but after 30 minutes I walked out of this piece of shit.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm not saying the remakes of Maniac and When a Stranger Calls were better. But they were, in many ways, equal in quality to the original films. Which is to say both of the originals are horrendously overrated.

When a Stranger Calls 2006 cuts out the faux-social commentary of the original which didn't work, didn't say anything, and was just a dull (and potentially insulting) waste of time. (I'm no conservative but I'll be damned the day I feel sorry for a child murdering psychopath or buy this movie's portrait of "tough city life" driving stalker killers to do it again.) I didn't say it was a good remake, but it didn't suck as much as many claim it did. It was pointless, sure, and underwhelming. But it focused much more on just 2 teen girls being terrorized in the house- no bullshit on the side.

I still haven't decided which Maniac is superior. I was shocked at how flawed the remake was yet how much it actually had to offer. It's nothing short of remarkable: the remake does so much differently yet has exactly the same problem- it's painfully unoriginal. There are too many films like it. Same with the original. We already have this story. It was called Psycho. And Deranged. And Eyes of Laura Mars. And Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. And Nightwatch. And American Psycho. Whichever version you see (whether Frank is a tall ugly slob or a cute little hunk), it's already been done before. Much better.

The original My Bloody Valentine is lousy. I'm glad you made the distinction of pointing out that the movie isn't worth a damn without the death scenes. You're pretty much right. The writing sucks and the movie looks like crap. Visually, it's one of the ugliest horror films I've ever seen. The character "drama" is lame as hell. And the killer's identity is literally one of maybe 3 killers I have ever correctly predicted. In over 20 years watching horror films. The best thing I can say about it is that I didn't hate most of the characters. That's anything but glowing praise.

Meanwhile, the actual Best Remake (since the 80's) is The Crazies. And I still think the original is quite a good damn movie. It just keeps getting stronger on each repeat viewing. The remake is not great but it's half-good.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'd much rather several hours of root canals with no form of pain medication over having to even watch the trailer for the Fog remake just once.