Worst of the recent remakes (last 10 years)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 2, 2007.

?

Worst of the last 10 years.

1. The Fog (2005)

35.4%
  2. The Wicker Man (2006)

8.5%
  3. Pulse (2006)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Black Christmas (2006)

9.8%
  5. When a Stranger Calls (2006)

2.4%
  6. Thir13en Ghosts (2001)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Hitcher (2007)

1.2%
  8. Chaos (2005)

3.7%
  9. Carrie (2002)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. House of Wax (2005)

1.2%
  11. The Omen (2006)

2.4%
  12. 2001 Maniacs (2005)

2.4%
  13. Toolbox Murders (2004)

1.2%
  14. The Grudge (2004)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. The Amityville Horror (2005)

2.4%
  16. House on Haunted Hill (1999)

1.2%
  17. Psycho (1998)

13.4%
  18. The Haunting (1999)

4.9%
  19. Carnival of Souls (1998)

1.2%
  20. Other (specify)

8.5%
  1. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Where is the option for all of the above? Nothing but a bunch of turd remakes terrible!

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

House of Wax is the only one there that I consider good.

Black X-Mas is terrible, but I like it a lot now. For some reason. It has perfect moments ruined by idiotic script decisions.

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I noticed this is old, but I voted Psycho. I would add Prom Night. Both are so lame.

4. rift

rift New Member

The Hitcher by far...it's probably the worst Platinum Dunes movie, which is really saying something.

5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I voted for The Wicker Man. With the exception of Psycho, it's the one listed that is based on the best original movie. It goes completely off the rails, with Nic Cage in a bear suit running around an island punching bee girls in the face. When the original was restored / re-released last year, articles about it had comments sections filled with jackasses writing "Not the bees!," and other shit from the remake. I guess it's got a cult following now as a so-bad-it's-good movie, so maybe I should watch it again. Even if it does turn out to be hilarious, it will be hard to forgive because the original is just so damn good.

AND WE MUST NEVER FORGET: One of this site's own illustrious reviewers gave this POS remake a glowing review (while dissing the original, no less!) when the DVD came out: http://www.horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=460.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Some duds here, but I threw a vote to The Omen. I don't mind remakes so much when they follow the same plot but do their own thing with it, but when they lifelessly follow the original beat-for-beat, that pisses me off.

Surprised The Hills Have Eyes remake wasn't listed. If it was, I probably would have voted for that. I was struggling to stay awake in the theater. Maybe that movie worked for people who had never seen the original, but for those of us who had, it was just a hollow retread with none of the impact.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I don't have a problem with the Omen remake, it's not insulting to the original concept or story like something like Rob Zombie's Halloween is.

As for the Hills Have Eyes. I've seen both several times and much prefer the remake. I feel it does everything better than the original, not to mention adds much more. More menacing villains, better kills/ gore, car graveyard, nuke testing site, etc. The villains in the original are so goofy looking and not intimidating at all. I would go as far as saying the Hills remake is one of the best remakes out there.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. myhorror

myhorror Member

DVD fanatic it must be extremely hard on you being a horror fan...This same thing could be said on just about every single horror film in existence.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

It felt like a comic book version of the original. It didn't ring true to me at all. I found the characters very annoying, including the over the top mutants. I also couldn't help but roll my eyes at several ridiculous actions by the characters. Aside from seeing the dogs in action, it did nothing for me except provide a few unintentional laughs.

There are several remakes on the list that I haven't seen due to no desire. Of what I have, it's definitely my pick for worst.

10. Vortex

Vortex Member

Amityville for it's generic nu-horror approach.

11. UFAlien

UFAlien New Member

So many good bad choices, and also several notable omissions (I could ask why One Missed Call isn't on this list in actual seriousness were it not for the thread creation date), but if push comes to shove I'll say Shutter. What an utter snoozefest. Especially disappointing since Masayuki Ochiai is an actual, pretty good J-Horror director who was clearly overriden by the producers on that film, because it doesn't show an ounce of his influence.

Out of the ones actually listed, I'd say When a Stranger Calls for a similar reason of "unspeakably boring." At least some of the other ones are unintentionally funny.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Not as hard as it apparently is for certain people on this board to come to grips with the fact that a fan can still be a fan while being highly critical.

Now, what you've done here is take me entirely out of context. The post you're referring to has a list of films both versions of Maniac can be accused of ripping off / stealing from. But, most importantly, all of the films I mentioned render each Maniac almost entirely useless but definitely entirely unnecessary. The same cannot be said for "just about every single horror film in existence."

13. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Black Christmas such a disapointment!

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

The Fog is truly garbage, but I went for The Haunting as it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Black Christmas should not be on here, though...that is a fantastic movie!

15. myhorror

myhorror Member

It goes without saying that it's all just a matter of opinion whether you like a movie or not. You can't just write off a single film as useless just because it did nothing for you. I know in my situation personally, a friend of mind brought over the original and I went into it not knowing the hype and it blew me away. I had never seen anything like it before...maybe I had but I thought it was done well enough to set itself apart from others with similar themes.

More to the point, it seems like with your line of thinking it should go like this: Well, I watched Halloween, no need to ever watch another slasher again since it's all been done before.
    That is what I meant by it must be hard on you being a horror fan.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  16. rift

rift New Member

Fright night remake was awful but at least it felt like they tried