Worst Remake of the Big 3?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by It's me Billy, Nov 21, 2010.

?

Which is your least favorite?

1. Halloween (2007)

33.3%
  2. Friday the 13th (2009)

26.4%
  3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

40.2%
  1. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

Worst remake

Friday the 13th is easily the worst out of the three. Those sex scenes are atrocious, the asian guy is way too goofy, the kills were boring, we didn't get to see Jason's face and the way Jason finds the hockey mask was just terrible! At least in A Nightmare on Elm Street there was no gratuitous sex/nude scenes, no overly goofy characters and Jackie Earle Haley DID turn in a great performance as Freddy!

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Halloween. I despise all three, however I would watch a sequel to the remakes of NOES and Friday the 13th. I found the Friday remake to be rather boring, and the NOES remake had the worst acting of any horror film in years. Ultimately, I hated what Zombie did to Halloween and I will watch Sex in the City 2 before I watch Halloween 2.

3. Severn

Severn Member

My only problem with the Friday remake was that the fun factor wasn't very high. Everything I didn't have a problem with. The nudity and sex scenes were fine and no better or worse than the sex scenes that were the prior movies. Out of the Big 3 Friday is the one that really steep in exploitation.

And to throw it out there the sex and nudity in My Bloody Valentine 3D was great also. ;)

4. blu

blu New Member

Agreed! NOES seemed to do everything wrong. I was very disappointed with it, as I had higher hopes being that I actually quite enjoyed the F13 remake. As for Zombie's Halloween, how dare he touch the classic and ruin it with his assortment of white trash characters. Fuck Rob Zombie! And yet that film was still better than the Elm St remake.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Least favorite? Did anyone in the world (except for the dumb kids who hate anything made before the 90's) need any of these... ? Or, for that matter, the remakes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, Dawn of the Dead, The Fog, or The Hills Have Eyes?

Horror remakes are shit. And they have been almost uniformly after David Cronenberg's masterful The Fly. (Though I was intrigued by the idea of David Gordon Green on Suspiria.)

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I haven't watched NOES yet, but I had the feeling it will get my vote regardless. And I had this feeling before reading all the negative reviews in this thread - yeeesh! I'll wait to vote until after I watch it.

7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I too haven't see NOES yet, I don't even know if it's worth watching any more. I stopped caring about the remake a while ago. But, Friday the 13th was pretty good, not amazing but it was entertaining in the true spirit of a Friday the 13th film (In my opinion). Halloween remake was dissappointment for me. I didn't enjoy it at all.

I agree! That movie was so much fun! :D I loveddd seeing it in 3D in the theatres

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  8. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Had to vote for Nightmare remake. It was just crapola. The new freddy was just terrible. At least the new Jason and Michael looked the part, and both of those movies had some reasonably good kills.

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Looking back I would say Elm Street was the worst- was just kinda boring really although it did have a few cool scenes.

F13 I thought was actually pretty decent except it suffered from something Elm Street did- characters you never really like or care about.

Halloween I didnt really like the 1st half of the movie but really enjoyed the second half of the movie. It is really night and day from the original and for a remake I'm okay with that.

None were very good but I thought they all were better then where the original sequals were going - like Freddys Dead (awful) , Jason Goes to Hell or Space (take your pick both awful) and Halloween Resurrection (again awful). I would take the remakes over any of these I listed.

Oh and I loved the My Bloody Valentine remake even without the 3-D - but with the 3-D it was really fun. And someone earlier mentioned the Black Christmas remake- now that was awful- one of the worst remakes I have ever seen.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  10. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

I voted for Halloween. Funny how a once promising director of Devil's Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses can kill his career with two crappy remakes.

11. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Amen, I couldn't vote cause these films didn't need a remake, hell none of them do.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

Thank you. Sadly, the majority on this board and site seem to think TCM '03 isn't an entirely worthless pile of garbage.

I cringe every time I read something like that. I do not see what all the hype about Devil's Rejects was for. The film was a western road-trip comedy with a few action scenes. It wasn't scary. I didn't think it was the slightest bit intense (and it has the perfect formula to create numbness from the getgo: that opening shootout is one of the most dull things I've ever seen in film). None of the characters were interesting. The impressive cast was totally wasted (and I was SO excited to see E.G. Daily and Police Academy's Leslie Easterbrook's names in the credits too). The jokes were not funny. I was bored. Nearly the whole time. Admittedly, the last 20-something minutes were good (everything after the whorehouse killings). But it was almost 2-hours long. At best, it's a D- horror film. If you can even call it a horror film. Much like Halloween, at best it's just a faux documentary of hicks and white trash hillbilly antics.

But I will side with everyone saying his Halloween II/2 was not a remake. Once I can figure out how to see both versions (and what the difference between them actually is), I will see that film. The Weird Al cameo and talk of fantasy elements has me very intrigued.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

aww, i think thats kind of a cop out. i mean whether you liked any of them or not isn't really the question here. If you prefer, pretend the question was "Which is your MOST despised?"

You can count me in with the majority on the TCM remake. I don't think it was garbage. Not great, but certainly not garbage. Especially when you compare it to some of the other remakes we've been subjected to. But I definitely agree on the Rejects score. Complete waste of time.

As far as the "top three" goes, the worst is Nightmare, without a doubt. It was completely uninteresting and boring. Halloween was poorly conceived, and poorly executed, but at least it was trying to be something. The Nightmare remake was flavourless. It was a complete cash-in, aiming for nothing and achieving nothing.

I'm shocked that people have actually voted for the Friday remake, though. I honestly don't understand the hatred for that one. Of course it had its flaws, but people getting so hung up on individual aspects of it, like "smart" jason, or the tunnels, tend to blow those things way out of proportion. It's like they hate it because it's different from the others, not because its a bad movie.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I enjoyed Halloween (2007).

I loathed A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010).

And Friday the 13th (2009) was absolutely godawful, so it takes my vote.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm not saying the Friday remake was a good movie, but worse than the Nightmare remake? what made you hate it so much? (i'm guessing we probably felt the same way about the Nightmare remake)

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

In all honesty, I can't even remember a damned thing about the Friday remake... that's how much I disliked it. I've erased it from memory.

And I'm hoping the same happens with the ANOES remake.

17. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

Remakes

This is exactly what's wrong with people! They make up their minds that they hate or dislike something before they see it!

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

A Nightmare on Elm Street. It had the most potential, but ended up being the blandest of the three.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

That's usually my argument for why Jason Takes Manhattan is a near-masterpiece... As you can imagine, I don't get very far with it.

I guess that it comes down to your definition of bad. To me, I don't care if the movie is an excellent thriller or sex-comedy. Or thriller with action and sex-comedy in it... if what I paid to see is a horror film, that's what I want. Of course, that's just me. Some people might take it to task if none of the characters are sympathetic. Now, I personally don't care about that... so long as they're not all annoying. Bad stereotypes combined with actors who have no charisma and yet, think they're hot shit. I'm guessing most people here who hate the film see all those things in the characters...and if you watch the movie, you're stuck with them. And why would the actors do that / be allowed to? Bad direction. A better-made movie would have control over these things. But again, I think what makes it bad comes down to how you see the type of film.

In my book, in takes a serious or ambitious film to have characters you can't stand or people as characters who are highly flawed. Most dumb or simple horror movies should stick with nice, happy kids who are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I certainly had a problem with the original Paramount films the more they strayed from that ideal (especially The Final Chapter). How many times can we be expected to sit through the same sleazy clowns from the 80's only with new clothes, hairstyles, and buffer bodies? Oh, and typically louder and more intense physical demeanors. Guys in horror today are much too aware of everything that's going on (anyone else miss the old men of horror, the more laidback types?).

What isn't bland about the genre these day?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  20. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

So I haven't seen ANOES (and likely won't), and as much as I hated Halloween, there was at least an attempt made at trying something a bit different with Myers' back-story (even though that totally misses the point of why the original works so well), Friday the 13th gets the nod. Somehow I was talked into going to see this at the theatre, and it was among the worst films I've ever been forced to endure (at least I got to sleep through the second half of Transformers).

To me, there's not one thing about the film that feels like F13. It takes the same formula from the equally bad TCM remake and tries to trick you into thinking you're watching something different by adding Jason and changing the setting. Even with arguably the greatest pair of tits to be seen on the big screen during the past decade, the film is an embarrassing piece of garbage.