Worst Remake of the Big 3?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by It's me Billy, Nov 21, 2010.

?

Which is your least favorite?

1. Halloween (2007)

33.3%
  2. Friday the 13th (2009)

26.4%
  3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

40.2%
  1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I like, no make that love Zombie's Halloween. Not a popular opinion, but I've watched it more than the other 2 combined and enjoy the white trash angle for some reason and don't get all the hate. In fact, none of these did anything to my feelings about the originals, I just happened to enjoy the new direction of Halloween (I still hate his sequel though, just fucking hate it as much as I've ever hated anything. A few good ideas lost in a mess of shit, which is probably what most think of the first film I would guess. he he.) I don't like Taylor Compton and still have wished her Laurie would've died in either film, but still like the first film despite her.

Friday the 13th was fun if nothing else. Great nudity, brought back complete assholes to the screen and cheering when they die, some inventive kills. I like it, not love, but a strong like.

Nightmare Ive only seen once (theater) and barely got through. I hated the kids and wanted them all to die. The only decent actress got killed first. I was so hoping they would change the lead away from Nancy when I saw the girl playing her asleep on screen the whole fucking time, but no, we had to follow her who I instantly hated. I recall a few cool scenes lost in a bunch of bullshit. Even worse, I liked Haley as Freddy, I just hated everything else! I have the BD from the library and will give it another try, but my hopes couldn't be lower. Nightmare is easily the worst of these 3 and gets my vote.

BTW, Black Xmas remake is fucking fun. Maybe everyone should not look as these films as remakes, but just fimilar stories re-told. I like just as many remakes as I hate, and I do hate a few. The Fog, Prom Night, April Fools Day, etc are crapfests, but Black Xmas and Soroity Row are fun flicks that shouldn't be dissed on name alone. Even Aja's Hills Have Eyes is a decent flick if not nothing new or exicting.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I found Friday the 13th to be the most unwatchable of the bunch. Hell, I'd gladly take a triple feature of Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes To Hell, and Jason X over that disaster. It just wasn't any fun. It was all gloss and no bite. The opening 20 minutes seemed to possibly be heading in the right direction, but sadly, it just got worse and worse.

Halloween was o.k., besides the useless F-bombs, for the first half of the movie, but once Michael escapes and it became a terrible almost shot for shot remake of the first film, it lost me. Zombie had no idea how to create atmosphere or suspense. IMO, he actually did better with his sequel. At least one can say it's all his original work and I saute him for at least trying something new the 2nd time around, even if some of his ideas seemed misguided (ghost mom/horse/Young Michael/random death scenes, etc.)

Nightmare was strangely the most tolerable, which is strange since the original Nightmare series was one of my first exposures to horror films, so it has a super special place in my heart. The movie still wasn't good, but I felt that the majority of the actors (Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, and Katie Cassidy in particular) were really trying to rise above the material. Some of the horrid CGI was unforgivable and the Tina character's new death scene was just the same thing as the first film, but without much or a visceral impact. The music score was unmemorable, but there were some neat scenes and decent jump scares that actually caught me off guard for once.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i watched sorority row last night. not half bad. i was pleasantly surprised. certainly not a direct remake, but it was an entertaining slasher.

:lol:
    I really don't think this is what you meant to say

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well I thought it was garbage too if it makes you feel any better

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Ill agree with you on Sorority Row- just cant on Black Xmas (and I even enjoyed the House of Wax remake!) <:

6. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

To be fair, House of Wax remake was actually very good! But people hate Paris so much that they will be blinded by all else.

As for Sorority Row, I liked it...but it became too silly by the second half, and was just nonsensical in the end. Still fine imo.

Black Xmas...wow. What can I say? It will clearly become a cult classic in the next couple of decades because the kills are fun and the lights about the house make the film. But the backstory is so atrocious that it's still shit. I have a love-hate relationship with that one.

7. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

House of Wax and Sorority Row were both pretty damn good, IMO! Sorority Row needed a better climax and a better killer revelation, but before then, thought it was hysterically bitchy and entertaining as can be.

The worst remake I've ever seen, maybe even the worst FILM I've ever seen, was the remake of The Fog. That was just unwatchable. The script, directing, editing, acting...all terrible!

Black X-Mas wasn't too hot, either. I guess they were going for something along the lines of Sorority Row with the bitchy girls and over the top feel, but it just didn't work at all. Even the death scenes were all exactly the same. The original is by far one of the scariest movies I've ever seen and the remake was just too goofy to be anything more than an overcooked Goosebumps episode.

8. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

With the Platinum Dunes remakes I think there was a genuine desire to be faithful to the spirit of the originals and give the Friday night popcorn munching audiences what they want out of a horror flick. How well they did that is certainly open for debate. I thought both Nightmare and Friday were kind of okay.

Halloween gets my vote by default and even though I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie's first take on the Michael Myers saga, I don't think it was a total wash either. I can certainly understand all the hate towards it, though.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I actually enjoyed the Friday remake. None of the minor changes to Jasons' character bothered me and I thought it was a lot of fun. It just needed better kills which the delayed/ canceled sequel promised to deliver on but now may never hit theaters.

Nightmare wasn't terrible, but really bland. And the CGI was god awful! Overall though it was harmless and I didn't really mind it.

Halloween was a movie I enjoyed the first time I watched it, but each consecutive viewing makes its flaws all the more obvious. The script and constant white trash swearing is so annoying, actually all the dialog is, and I couldn't stand the kid playing Michael. The most important thing that really hurts the film for me though is how Zombie took away everything that made Michael who he is. Michael is pure evil, he isn't a kid from a troubled home. It's too bad because I think Zombie definitely has some talent, I just think he needs to stay away from the pen and just Direct other peoples scripts from now on.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Nightmare on Elm St. Did not like that one at all. I rather enjoyed the Friday and Halloween remakes, though I can see faults in both films.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Wow. Just got done watching Elm St. and I must say that I think there's a lot of people here judging it way too harshly on account of nostalgia. Taken on it's own terms, it's easily the best film out of the three. Easily. But maybe it's because I don't consider the original the classic a lot of you guys do?

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I don't hold the original as anything too amazing, yet I still feel this remake was the worst of the three. No 'easily not' about it. It was just so flawed. But I'd have to watch it again to give you my detailed analysis since I kind of blocked it from my memory. I thought it was atrocious on both levels. The only thing that made me forgive it was comparing it to Parts 5 and 6, which made it look better in areas.

13. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

Tcm and dawn of the dead remakes were good as was my bloody valentine. Not all remakes are shit.

14. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I actually liked Halloween II quite a lot. Maybe because the first lowered my expectations so much. ANOES is the worst though, just completely pointless. I dont think the original aged that badly at all.

15. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Halloween was probably the worst movie from the last 20 years. That being said, H2 was a hell of surprise. You might want to take a look.

Halloween still has my vote, don't quite understand the hate for the NOES remake.

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Halloween, a totally ego fueled bloated vision that ignored the elements that made the franchise so successful in the first place and paid no respect to fans or John Carpenter.
    Friday The 13th should have just been called Part XI or whatever.
    Nightmare had no soul or character and was a dull piece of film-making consistent with the WB style remakes like The Fog.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Yep. And I'd also say it's the film that proves that Zombie is the quintessential one-trick pony. Carpenter's Halloween works so well because it takes place in such a normal and recognizable suburban setting--which really drives home his point that evil is indomitable. Carpenter uses archetypes so effectively that the film works like a modern myth. But Zombie's Halloween is a laughably ham-fisted trailer trash melodrama. The guy is a slave to his fascination with ugliness and white trash.

I despise what he did with Halloween and can't imagine many properties that are less suited to his vision. But it would be funny to see him remake some classic family films. How about Rob Zombie's The Sound of Music or Rob Zombie's E.T.?

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it, Zombie's emphasis upon white trash could be kind of amusing if he tackled something like Kramer Vs. Kramer.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

That's a Rob Zombie movie I'd see. Imagine what his wife could do with the Meryl Streep role. I'll bet that'd be a hell of a lot scarier than anything in his Halloween films.

20. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Agree 100%. Freddy Vs Jason easily "rebooted" both franchises. Friday especially ties in well with JGTH/FVJ. And even better... counting FVJ you get to call it Friday part 12. Which means you GOTTA make a Friday the 13th Part 13. How could you not?