Worst Remake?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by It's me Billy, Nov 21, 2010.

?

Which is the worst?

1. Psycho (1998)

13.6%
  2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

6.8%
  3. The Toolbox Murders (2003)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Amityville Horror (2005)

1.7%
  5. The Fog (2005)

35.6%
  6. Black Christmas (2006)

1.7%
  7. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Omen (2006)

1.7%
  9. When A Stranger Calls (2006)

1.7%
  10. Halloween (2007)

5.1%
  11. The Hitcher (2007)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. April Fool's Day (2008)

13.6%
  13. Prom Night (2008)

8.5%
  14. Friday the 13th (2009)

1.7%
  15. My Bloody Valentine (2009)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Sorority Row (2009)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. The Stepfather (2009)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

8.5%
  19. Piranha (2010)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mytee

Mytee Guest

The Wicker Man sucked I just forgot about it

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

:banana:

3. Mytee

Mytee Guest

of course

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Hey, watch it. Some of us heteros enjoy seeing a half-naked Ryan Reynolds just as much. We don't stand for that kind of discrimination here at horrordvds.com.

5. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Sometimes i google fake ryan reynolds nude pix and touch myself.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Out of the ones I have seen I can usually at least find something I like in them, but in The Fog's remakes case that couldn't be further from the truth. i for some reason bought it for $3 hoping it might actually not be as bad as i remember, but I haven't had the courage to watch it again.

Black Christmas remake wasn;t very good either, but atleast it had some gore.

I still haven't seen the remakes of The Stepfather, April Fool's Day, Prom Night (I picked this up on Blu for $5, but haven't been in the mood to watch it), or Sorority Row, but they don't seem too promising.

Hills Have Eyes and Piranha 3D should not be on this list though as they are both amazing! Hills is one of the few remakes I actually enjoy more then the original.

I heard the it's Alive remake is pretty terrible, so it should probably be up there, and although I don't mind it, I know Wicker man has quite the hate towards it.

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Funny, as it is I don't think Aja could direct himself out of a paper bag. :p That being said, Piranha doesn't deserve up there but Hills certainly does... What a pile of ...

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, Piranha 3D isn't even a remake, it's a sequel. Well... about as much of a sequel as Piranha 2: The Spawning was at any rate. As a general rule I don't consider films that have the same title as older films "remakes" when they change absolutely everything about the original story. House of Wax or The Toolbox Murders for instance. A remake needs to have the same basic, recognizable story and characters as the first.

I picked The Fog. Psycho was pointless, but the script was EXACTLY the same as the original so I can't honestly say it was "bad".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  9. Severn

Severn Member

I voted for The Fog. No brainer for me.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Prom Night...I'm still trying to figure out why the fuck I actually watched it to the end. Friday the 13th and TCM come in right behind.

And I'm with spawningblue on Hills...by far the best film up there in this list and about a million times more effective than Craven's cheesed-up, overrated and outdated original.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats a good point, and i think i agree, although by that token, could you really consider The Fly and The Thing to be remakes? I think that they were in intention, and they've definitely been accepted as remakes (not to mention that people keep referencing them as remakes). But beyond the basic plot devices of each, they're completely different stories from the originals.

12. Mytee

Mytee Guest

I havent got to see Piranha being that 3D isnt made for people with astigmatism, I hope to get it on DVD but The Hills Have Eyes remake is one of the best of the remakes.

13. maybrick

You may have something with The Fly, but at least it involves a scientist turning into a fly. The original House of Wax had absolutely nothing to do with mass murdering brothers in a hick town and a literal House of Wax. The original Toolbox Murders didn't involve a deformed serial killer living in the walls of an apartment complex. However, with The Thing, I'd definitely consider it a true remake because it's far closer to the original story "Who Goes There?" than the 1950s film ever was.

14. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Neither are remakes. If they both derive their story from other source material, then they're reinterpretations or whatever of that material. Do people consider the countless versions of Robin Hood or Phantom of the Opera remakes?

Doesn't matter that most people reference them as remakes. Most people are assholes.

15. maybrick

:lol: Too true. And I agree with you over the difference between remakes and reinterpretations and have said as much in the past. But for simplicity's sake I decided not to go there in this thread. :)

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Out of the ones on the list: The Fog. My actual pick: The Wicker Man.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

No, definitely not. That's more or less what I was getting at. In a lot of cases, the modern trend of calling something a remake bares more similarity to the old ploy of calling a completely unrelated movie (like Troll 2) a sequel. It's all about cashing in on a name.

i wasn't so much using that as an excuse, just pointing it out as a fairly common occurrence. But yeah, people are assholes, I guess.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Completely agreed!!

Oh, and if we're going to pick so much out of Piranha and say it isn't a remake... Let's go a step further. NONE of them are remakes. But, instead: they're re-imaginings of the originals. As though the originals never existed. That way, the directors never have to take any responsibility for making films we didn't need.

Anyway, for my vote... The one that truly deserves it is not in the list. I was never angrier than with Texas Chainsaw Massacre '03. But even then, there's something worse. I've never been so ashamed to call myself a horror fan than I was last year following the stupefyingly positive reaction to the remake of The Last House on the Left. I'm sorry, but exactly how is it worth remaking one of the most culturally important American horror films of the 1970's (one of horror's most important decades) just so some jerks can say it's cleaner and safer than the original? There was no fucking casting they could have done in North America to get a group that felt creepier and dirtier than David Hess, Jeramie Rain, and Fred Lincoln. Not only is this remake just a cash-in on the shock value of the original (and Wes Craven's name), but it gets a younger, "sexier" cast to lure in kids. And that isn't as phony as, for example, a PG-13 horror film?! And what is the fucking point of making the rape more graphic? You can not make the audience of a film feel what is it be raped and sexually violated. You can only make people cheer it or get angry at the film for showing it so graphically. And even if showing rape that graphically (it was still incredibly sick in the original film, even in its' very short incarnations) was both valid and commendable- we already have I Spit on Your Grave for everyone who would sit through "realistic" rape to applaud. The first film was far more intelligent and we did not need this remake. One of the blackest days the genre ever had.

19. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Let's see...

Psycho: Van Sant is way too good of a director to have made this. Definitely one of the worst.
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: I've gone back and forth on this film for awhile (loved it at first, hated it for awhile, then grew to give it some respect), especially due to Platinum Dunes involvement, but it's not too bad. That said, it's not anywhere close to capturing the atmosphere or sense of dread that the original had.
    The Toolbox Murders: Better than the original. Come back to this, Tobe!
    The Amityville Horror: Ryan Reynolds is the best thing about it. Other than that, it just plain sucks.
    The Fog: Horrible, horrible remake. The original isn't a masterpiece, but at least it was creepy.
    Black Christmas: Ick. Way to waste a decent premise. Not THE worst, but pretty close.
    The Hills Have Eyes: Now THIS is what I'm talking about! You take the decent original and you make it awesome. I can see why Aja wanted to remake more films.
    The Omen: Takes the copy and paste style of Psycho and injects SOME original style. Not as embarrassing as Psycho, but close.
    When A Stranger Calls: This is NOT what I'm talking about. Took the decent parts of the original and completely dropped the ball when incorporating them into the new film. Definitely one of the worst.
    Halloween: Zombie's remake gets a lot of flak, and personally I enjoyed his sequel more, but Zombie still managed to make an interesting remake of the original that I could watch without feeling deja vu too often.
    The Hitcher: Michael Bay and his cronies strike again! Yuck.
    April Fool's Day: Could have been good but wasn't. Not the worst, but close.
    Prom Night: The original was horrible, the remake was horrible. Guess you just can't make a good prom-related horror film.
    Friday The 13th: Ack! I can't escape the Dunes of Crap! Not a fan of the original, but it was so much better than this mess.
    My Bloody Valentine: Some have called it fun. I call it bad. Also, if you're going to have 3D in your film, do it well because this looked awful.
    Sorority Row: How can they do this to the origi-oh, wait. The original was horrible too. Oh well, at least it's on par with its predecessor.
    The Stepfather: Charlie Clouser's score is about the only thing decent about this one, and it was never even released. Lame.
    A Nightmare On Elm Street: Once again Platinum Dunes gets their sticky fingers on a classic. It was better than Friday the 13th though, I'll give it that.
    Piranha: I don't count it as a remake, but since it's here, I'll chime in. Fun, bloody time to be had. This is 3D done right.

20. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I voted for Psycho cause again if you're gonna redo it then just redo it but don't do it shot for shot. Mt choice was the fog only cause it had Tom Welling in it. I kept waiting for him to start running really fast while the rest of the screen slowed down.