Worst Stephen King Adaptation?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Mark Relford, Sep 20, 2001.

?

Worst Stephen King Adaptation?

1. Children of the Corn

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Graveyard Shift

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. The Night Flier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sometimes They Come Back

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Thinner

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Needful Things

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Langoliers

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. The Tommyknockers

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. Storm of the Century

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. The Mangler

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  11. Maximum Overdrive/Trucks

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  12. Other

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Shining Television version for me... what a god AWFUL piece of crap that was!!! The book is probably the best thing Stephen King wrote (and the first one I read years ago), but it translates AWFULLY to the screen. Kubrick's version, on the other hand, is brilliantly realized and a textbook example of how to make a great horror flick.

2. Stige

Stige Active Member

tommyknockers all the way, considering the first three hundred pages were condenced into ten minutes of screen time

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Tough pick...a lot of these are bad. There are a few I haven't seen. I had to vote for THE LANGOLIERS because the story was too cerebral to work in a visual medium.
    Most of the story involves the characters talking, figuring things out, but not doing an awful lot. This works fine on the printed page, but made for dull viewing.

THE DARK HALF was probably the worst film adaptation. I didn't like the TV version of THE SHINING either. TOMMYKNOCKERS was bad, but it was also one of King's worst novels and I don't think there was much they could have done with it. Most of the others are probably not good films but I enjoy them to varying degrees. LANGOLIERS just wasn't well suited to film/television adaptation, so it gets my vote.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I haven't seen Graveyard Shift all the way through, though what I have seen looks pretty damn abysmal.

Out of that list, I went with Thinner. I don't know when I've been more outraged while watching a horror movie. That piece of crap has absolutely no morals at all.

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yeah. Many of these come from some of King's most paltry (and sometimes just downright bad) works.

I voted for The Mangler, but the short story was worse (if that's even possible).