Worthy Recent Horror Remakes? PART 2

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by spawningblue, Apr 25, 2014.

?

Worthy Recent Horror Remakes? PART 2

1. Friday the 13th (2009)

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. The Last House on the Left (2009)

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. My Bloody Valentine (2009)

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. Sorority Row (2009)

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. The Crazies (2010)

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  6. I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. Let Me In (2010)

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  8. Mother's Day (2010)

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  10. Piranha (2010)

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  11. The Wolfman (2010)

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  12. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  13. Fright Night (2011)

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  14. The Thing (2011)

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  15. Maniac (2012)

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  16. Silent Night (2012)

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  17. The Woman in Black (2012)

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  18. Carrie (2013)

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  19. Evil Dead (2013)

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  20. We Are What We Are (2013)

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What recent horror remakes do you feel were really good and lived up to their titles? Whether they were good adaptations, or completely different but still really enjoyable, what are some of your favourites?

Choose as many films as you want!

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

More decent ones in this list than the last. I thoroughly enjoyed Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine, Sorority Row, The Wolfman, Piranha, Fright Night, and Maniac.

I haven't seen Carrie, We Are What We Are, Mother's Day, or Let Me In.

3. Do you see

Do you see Member

I saw most of these and own 14 of the titles listed. Being a F13 guy I had to choose it. It might not have pleased everyone, but I thought it was a good enough effort to hopefully revitalize the franchise (obviously now with the reboot of the reboot happening that point is moot).

4. Hork!

Hork! New Member

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I really liked a lot of these ones. The Thing was more of a prequel, but it rules whatever it is. My Bloody Valentine was a fun time. I Spit, Last House and Maniac were all really surprising and really satisfying for me, remakes that understood the essence of the original and used that to craft the story and the presentation, rather than just trying to use the title or concept. All those three improve on the original films in many ways, yet are different enough that they stand up on their own merit. Good stuff.

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Piranha
    The Last House on the Left
    My Bloody Valentine
    Maniac
    I Spit On Your Grave

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Not as much to go with in this poll in my opinion. The dog scene in Evil Dead really bothered me and took me out of the rest of the film. I won't even watch it again. I went with Friday the 13th because at least they tried to do justice to the 80's films.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This list definitely has a leg up on the last.

First of all, The Crazies 2010 did something I thought was impossible for horror to do again (after Irreversible poisoned horror forever)... it portrayed people / actors as characters again. Right in the opening 5 minutes, I witnessed a fucking miracle. For the first time in godknowshowlong, these characters weren't just cut + pasted from some bland TV drama. They were dynamic people full of life. Not even Mulberry St. did that (still the single best horror film I've seen since May and 28 Days Later). If you want the circumstances of your survival horror film to have any weight to them at all... this is what you need to achieve that. And what a hundred Descents, Devil's Rejects, and Frontier(s) are entirely, painfully lacking.

So, yeah, see the remake of The Crazies. Its only flaw (which is pretty deep running and affects large chunks) is that it takes the fact that it has real human characters for granted and plays games with them when the audience deserve to be able to take this seriously.

And, as I mentioned a few days ago, Maniac is a more than worthwhile remake to see because it is the only remake after 1986 to match up to the original. Yet it couldn't be more different. But that's irrelevant. I'll never choose this as superior to the original or the original superior to the remake. Do you appreciate what that really means? So, even though it's a clear 4/10 film and technically overridingly bad in several ways (and I didn't even think of the Hard Candy connection until now... shit, movie, REALLY?), it's kind of a strong step in the right direction. Worth seeing, again, only because nearly every single horror film since 2002 has been shit. Which is what makes this a step in the right direction. It had zero great original ideas but found a way to do a few things incredibly well.

Disagreed.

The essence of Craven's Last House on the Left was rooted in MANY actual things that were actually relevant to American life in the 60's and 70's. The remake is approaching this entire thing like Craven's story had no context in time and history. Like it was just a random gang of thugs kidnapping, torturing, and killing random victims taken out by random upper-middle class home owners. All of Craven's characters had intrinsic symbolic value, the things they do and the things that happen to them have profound socio-political relevance and are shown through certain twisted perspectives (the music, camera angles, etc). The remake is random to the core, has no deeper meaning, and is riddled with pretentious self-serving worthlessness. It wants to get rid of everything that meant something to the original to pander to viewers who didn't get the original film, instead wanting something more brutal. But the point of the original film wasn't to exploit brutality in humanity (and, again, humanity as a product of the times and economic circumstances they lived in), rather it was to make us understand it in context.

Yes, I realize a lot of people still don't care about it but really, look at their arguments. You're apt to find most people saying it wasn't brutal enough or it ruined the brutality with the music or the cops. However, both of these things have a definite function and are effective in the very sense of what makes the music and characters in Texas Chainsaw Massacre so effective.

I'm more than a little tired of Craven being treated like a cheap opportunist. People are seriously underestimating what we wouldn't have and horror would never have become without Last House on the Left. Which is hardly even what makes it such an undeniable milestone of horror. And, no, Night Train Murders and I Spit on Your Grave are not comparable. They are far more interested in shock value than making a statement.

9. UFAlien

UFAlien New Member

Why isn't One Missed Call on the list!?

I kid, I kid ;)

Anyway, The Crazies was really effective, Piranha was totally a remake-in-name-only but it was also really fun, My Bloody Valentine was super-entertaining if not scary, and The Woman in Black was a nice little throwback flick.

Evil Dead was okay-ish, I guess, but pretty disappointing considering all the hype. And I can't even sit through the Friday the 13th remake; it bores me to death.

10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

The Crazies, My Bloody Valentine, and Sorority Row are all in my collection-great flicks!

11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

So many good choices on here, My Bloody Valentine, Friday the 13th, The Crazies, Piranha, Silent Night, and Evil Dead. I own all on Blu-Ray except for Silent Night.

I voted for Evil Dead.

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Tough choice because I actually like quite a few of these! But for me, the Evil Dead remake was fuckin awesome and a great take at the story. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I clearly having a hell of a time at the theatre with my friends and the rest of the audience.

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I own sixteen from the list. Personal fave: Sorority Row. It's dumb but fun in my opinion. Not seen yet: I Spit on Your Grave, Mother's Day, Maniac, Silent Night.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just saw We Are What We Are and it's great. Might even go far as to call it my favorite horror film of 2013. It's also a bit of an improvement on the Mexican original, which I saw first, but barely remember a thing about it despite seeing it within the last two months.

Anyone know if there's already a thread here on it? I tried doing a search, but the title is all common words with 3-4 letters.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I loved Hammer's takes on THE WOMAN IN BLACK and LET ME IN,I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed EVIL DEAD (great turn by Jane Levy).

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed about half of the list - Let Me In surprised me and was quite good even though I find Let the Right One In superior. The American version did not stray far though from the original so that helped. I enjoyed the Evil Dead movie - more serious and brutal but I thought it worked.

I thought the Friday the 13th remake was the best out of the big 3 franchise remakes. Piranha was enjoyable as was The Thing. Sorority Row I have fun with - it really is nothing like the original though. Fright Night was another one that surprised me and was solid - although still doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Seeing My Bloody Valentine in 3-D was awesome and I love the movie. Last but not least I gave a vote to The Wolfman although it was a let down to me.

There are several I have not seen so maybe I would have had a couple more votes.

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've seen all but five of the titles. My favorites: Evil Dead, Crazies, Let Me In.

18. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Friday the 13th
    Piranha
    I Spit on Your Grave

I thought Carrie was ok, Let Me In was not good, and the rest I didn't see.

D'oh! Maybe I did see the Evil Dead remake, but don't think it was too good.

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Evil Dead
    My Bloody Valentine
    Friday the 13th
    Piranha
    Silent Night
    The Crazies although didn't vote for it not my top 5 from the list

really disappointed with fright night and nightmare on elm street remakes

would have voted for the thing but that really is a prequel not a remake