Would you go back to VHS?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Jun 19, 2017.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Kind of a sociological (maybe?) question. If VHS had a resurgence, and you could go back to the days of video stores, would you? It would mean no DVD and/or Bluray - just VHS. Barring the issue of tape degradation, could you return to VHS after experiencing better quality formats?

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

NO! Even when it came to tape based formats, BETA was noticeably better.

If the option was to literally go back to the 80's, then I would go in a heartbeat and accept VHS as a trade off.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I loved the time and have great memories of visiting video shops. I loved visiting them in the Pre-Cert days (UK), with all the great sleeves offering horrors beyond belief, great times. I'm use to the superior quality of blu ray, no way I could go back to VHS.

dave13 likes this.
  5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Hell no. Nostalgia does not always equal "better."

Natas likes this.
  6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I'll still watch a VHS movie from time to time. But there's no turning back on these beautiful blu ray releases we're accustomed to now.

What I DO wish is for video stores to return but carry VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i wouldn't trade my experience with VHS for the world, but i feel like it is exactly that experience that has given me such an appreciation of dvd/blu ray today. back then it was all about anticipation...what could possibly be hidden within that forbidden VHS tape with the amazing artwork? the excitement when visiting a new video store, dreaming of the titles that they might have. the mystery surrounding the one or two franchise entries that your local store didn't carry that you so desperately wanted to see. the rumours about foreign films that you were sure you'd never have the opportunity to witness. it's like dvd and blu ray represented the fulfillment of all that anticipation. they wouldn't have been nearly as significant if it weren't for those early years...but now that they're here, how could i ever go back?

buck135 and The Joker like this.
  8. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I think that sums it up for me. I do love bluray. But I feel like technology and the availability of almost everything has taken something away.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I still watch VHS all the time, pretty much daily lately since I'm trying to catch up on all my unwatched videotapes I've collected over the last few years from video stores going out of business, and would have no problem going back to watching only VHS if I had no other choice. Even with today's world of streaming and HD, there are still far too many films/titles that were released on VHS that haven't and probably even won't ever see the light of day on streaming or digital, or even a release on another physical format.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I still have a decent VHS collection of titles that have never made it to disc. I have so many new blu-rays to catch up on that I don't watch them as much lately, but if VHS is the best or only option for watching a particular movie, I will still buy / watch VHS. Last one I bought was Rich Girl with Jill Schoelen maybe 2 months ago.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have very fond memories of my VHS rental days but certainly couldn't trade that in for the movie formats available to us now. VHS was lesser quality, typically pan and scan, often cut, and generally offered no extras. I was a teenager in the 80's and loved that era but what could possibly be the point of going backwards?

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

13. sade

sade Member

No. The only thing I miss that BluRay doesn't provide is the big artwork, something that laser disk excelled at. Same goes for music & vinyl.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

when I bought my condo in 2011, I streamlined the entertainment center. One of the components that didn't make the cut was my VHS deck. It still sits in my garage. I have not missed it.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Speaking on the "idea ONLY" of walking around a video shop. I would lying to say I didn't enjoy doing that. As far as the quality, I so used to DVD and Blu Ray so that part would be very difficult to give up.

But like I stated, it was fun going to video rental shops. I'm glad I got to experience that years ago.

Couple of things I wouldn't miss about Blu Ray, the next to non existent bookmark feature. Seriously, almost non of my collection, especially the "smaller" distributors use the feature. Very rare to find a movie that uses them. And that is truly mindbogglingly. Why bookmarking which was on every dvd player known to existence NOT port over to Blu Ray. It's was a no brainer feature. And oh, yeah, NO slow mode or frame advance either. My Sony has neither. :mad:

P.S. - I currently have a JVC VHS hooked up to my "entertainment center" Which I barely use, but it's there.

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

There are lots of films that never have and never will transition to Blu-Ray or DVD, but none that I miss so much that I would be willing sacrifice both formats for so that I could go VHS exclusive.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hell no. VHS looks like shit on screen, and I never liked rewinding tapes.

VHS tapes and cover art may have looked great, but the actual format was a turd.

zbinks, Dobby and Workshed like this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Let's not forget:

-Tracking lines / rolling picture that no amount of tracking correction (manual or automatic) could resolve
    -That inevitable moment when the VCR would eat a tape
    -VHS sensitivity to magnetic fields (Don't leave them near a speaker!)
    -Broken cassette mechanisms
    -Long films that were only sold commercially on multitape sets
    -Commercial tapes sold in EP or LP modes
    -Those films that were so impenetrably dark that they were borderline unwatchable on VHS

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The video store experience was fun but the format was flawed even then. No.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And even if we had video stores like we did in the 80s, modern technology changes that too. Remember, you were taking a chance on a movie back then (and don't always use those rose-colored glasses; there were plenty of times you rented something based on the cover and ended up totally disappointed), but today you have a lot more information literally at your fingertips. Even a few years ago when I was frequenting a DVD rental store with a good selection of horror, I was whipping out my phone and searching this site to see what others had said about a particular movie. You sure couldn't do that at the mom-and-pop stores in the 80s!

Workshed likes this.