Would you go back to VHS?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Aka the good old days lol

My VHS ate my copy of Wishmaster last year. I was livid....... until those fine folks at Vestron remedied that :D

Every year on Halloween I watch Carpenters original on VHS........ been a tradition of mine for well over a decade. Last year I decided to finally get the regular dvd and seeing in widescreen was epic. Never understood how dark the vhs copy REALLY was.

You aint never told a lie, mayne....... The amount of money I wasted on shit rentals throughout the years was ridiculous. I'd normally have a title or two in mind I'd specifically look for, but more times than not I'll end up bringing home at least one or two more "blind rentals" and the disappointed to pleasantly surprised rate wasn't exactly balanced.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

While we're on the topic of video stores and rose-colored glasses:

As much as I would have liked my local video stores to be like Scarecrow Video in Seattle, I grew up mostly with a variety of Blockbuster Video and later Hollywood Video locations. Most of them had a finite selection of films that, outside of new releases, really wouldn't change much from year to year. Going out to rent a movie could, at times, be more of a burden than anything, because you'd be looking at the same damn selection of tapes you've looked at week after week for years on end, and eventually you'd either have to wait for a new rental store to pop up in the area. I think that's one of the reasons I started buying tapes, moreso, than renting them. Suncoast Video and Tower Records, prices be damned, tended to have a much better, more diverse selection of titles in pretty much any genre than most of the local rental stores did.

My other pet peeve. That tape you desperately want to rent, but was always...ALWAYS...checked out, so you'd have to settle for something else. I think that's the other reason I started buying tapes rather than renting. At least if I own it, I know I can watch it whenever I want to watch it.

Natas likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

You only speak of truFs!

I was lucky to live in a small town but we had 3 video stores.....Blockbuster and two independent stores. All 3 of which had an awesome variety.

Kind of a crazy story......but one of those 2 indy stores I referenced was called Movie Stop. Every Saturday my dad would take me in there......I rented Childs Play 3 probably 18 weeks straight (the owner knew my dad and always would toss in Childs Play 3 for free if available, on top of whatever other flick we were getting). Awesome store. Anyways, when Blockbuster opened up shop in town, about a half mile from his Movie Stop....... obviously that killed his business. It also killed him. He hung himself inside the shop probably 3 months after Blockbuster opened. I was about 10 years old..... old enough to be pissed off my video store isn't open anymore. No point in this story lol I just haven't thought about that in years. But it was that Movie Stop in which I have the fondest memories checking out all the different Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street sequel boxes...... My parents were liberal as fuck and "No" was never an answer to one of those movies I wanted to rent.

4. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Holy shit man, that's crazy!

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Choosing to go back to the days of VHS is similar to do choosing to go back to the days without vaccines, in that only an ignorant schmuck would say "yes".

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I've heard that too much home video selection has been linked to autism....

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's true. I can verify that too much video causes just as much autism in children as vaccinations.

dave13 likes this.
  8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

VHS and beta were all we had and knew back then, and it was quiet fun, we didn't think about wow, this pictures too dark, or wow, look how much drop out there is in the picture, and wow, this isn't in widescreen and has no extras ect. we just did it.. Funny, in the beginning early days of VHS, videotapes (blanks) were like $15.99 a piece, those tdk's and maxells but they were very well made quality tapes. by the mid to late 80's kmart and other stores started selling blank videotapes for like 7 bucks and it was really crappy quality. But No, I COULD NEVER GO BACK, NOT NOW AFTER ALL THE GREAT QUALTY OF Blu ray and HD broadcasts...