WTF? movies

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, May 31, 2007.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Might as well throw in El Topo and Santa Sangre, though The Holy Mountain definitely takes the "WTF?" cake as far as these three Alejandro Jodorowsky films go.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying Hausu is bad. I was saying it's the work of an insane maniac. Definitely among the most bizarre films I've ever seen. Every minute is eccentric in the extreme.

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

The perennial Thanksgiving classic Blood Freak. Also Zaat and Inland Empire. I love movies that go "off the rails" like this, so I'm getting a lot of recommendations here.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Off the top of my head and not yet mentioned in this thread:

Things
    Cannibal Apocalypse
    Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
    Manos: The Hands of Fate
    Angel of H.E.A.T.
    Yor, the Hunter from the Future
    Sledgehammer (or pretty much anything David A. Prior)
    Home Sweet Home
    Stay Tuned
    Runaway Nightmare
    Sorority House Massacre II
    Nail Gun Massacre
    For Y'ur Height Only
    Miami Connection
    Nothing But Trouble
    Super Mario Bros.: The Movie
    Breeders
    Blue Rita
    Spookies
    Crank
    Crank 2: High Voltage
    Howard the Duck
    Ex Drummer
    Virgins from Hell
    Taxidermia
    Birdemic: Shock and Terror
    Boardinghouse (aka Housegeist)
    The Mansion of Madness
    Monster High
    Mystics in Bali
    Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out!
    Ninja III: The Domination
    Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
    Save the Green Planet!
    Snake Eater II: The Drug Buster
    The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
    Terror on Tour
    Pink Flamingos
    Female Trouble
    Desperate Living
    Polyester
    Kill Squad
    Death Promise
    Commando Game: Deadly Pursuit
    Death Warrior (aka Ölüm savasçisi) [or pretty much anything Turkish for that matter]

5. startide

startide Member

Bloodsucking Freaks.

Maybe more OMG than WTF though. As in "OMG, why?"

6. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

I'll third Gummo and add on Harmony Korine's follow-up Julien Donkey Boy. And as a bonus, if you haven't already, find a copy of Korine's hugely WTF?! book (novel?), "A Crackup at the Race Riots."

And another vote for The Holy Mountain as well. True story: I had already seen, and enjoyed, Fando & Lis, El Topo and Santa Sangre, and decided watching THM for the first time while 'shrooming would be a good idea. Couldn't have been more wrong. It was myself, my then-girlfriend, my buddy Josh, and my gf's friend from work (forgot her name, only met her the once) all high as shit on mushrooms. We didn't get but 5 min. in before we were yelling at the TV "What the fuck is going on???" Heads almost exploded that night, for sure.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A friend and I were just talking about Southland Tales and what an epic failure that was. When a film tries to be so esoteric and fails so miserably it truly becomes a "WTF" film if only for the casting decisions made here.

I guess I'll defend INLAND EMPIRE (officially it's all caps) here just briefly and say that yes it's a "WTF?" film but it was also the last one to really scare me. It got to the point towards the end were it really felt like the whole film collapsed and I could not fathom what could possibly come next. So I actually felt an anxiety of anticipation I've not felt from a horror film in a long, long time before or ever since.

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I had myself prepared for just about anything, but then this happened:

After a confrontation with the alchemist, the thief defecates into a clear glass container. The excrement is transformed into gold by the alchemist who proclaims: "You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold." The thief accepts the gold, but when shown himself in a mirror he angrily smashes the mirror with the gold, and the alchemist takes the thief as an apprentice.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, the ideas for the story came from the director's pre-teen daughter. Suddenly starts to make sense, doesn't it?

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Aw, I was actually just going to throw up "Southland Tales" as one of my favorite WTF movies in recent days. I'll concede that I can't say it's a good film, but I do think it is certainly a fascinating one that is interesting even when it is terrible. And it's easily the closest any film has come to matching the glorious madness of Jodorowsky. I'd comfortably defend it as being just as good as "El Topo." But, to keep a bit of perspective, I still hold "Holy Mountain" and "Sante Sangre" in significantly higher regard than either of those other two.

And, in case anyone isn't familiar with the whole Panic Movement, the films of Jodorowsky compatriots, Moctezuma and Arrabal are equally out there.

For those who love David Lynch, I highly recommend the films (and books) of Alain Robbe-Grillet. There is little doubt that he was a significant influence and I think Robbe-Grillet's films are far more interesting. But, I am also not a very big fan of Lynch, so take that with a grain of salt. "Gradiva" and "La Belle Captive" are pretty easy to find. And, he wrote "Last Year at Marienbad." But, my favorite is "L'Eden et Apres" which is a bit more difficult to come by.

There was also a film called "Born of Fire" that Mondo Macabro distributed on DVD that has a lot of the Jodorowsky vibe. As does "Circle of Iron" to a lesser degree, although "Circle of Iron" is actually kind of bad at times.

And Ken Russell certainly had his moments of madness. "The Devils" is probably his most notorious. But, "Gothic" and "Salome's Last Dance" are certainly up there.

Also, while we're talking about Jodorowsky, Humanoids Inc. has been re-issuing a lot of his comic books recently and they definitely are the comic book equivalent of his films. Again, for those that aren't keeping up on the man, after "Dune" fell apart, he took a lot of his ideas for that film and put them into a comic called "Incal" that was pretty influential in France and was a huge influence on Besson's "Fifth Element." Since then, and combined with his frustration with making films, comic books have made up most of Jodorowsky's output for the past couple of decades.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Not really, no. I knew that going in. It still didn't really prepare me for what was coming.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Father's Day

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure is high on my list. The camel scenes especially (I was certain that he was going to start hallucinating again the moment they took him to the little girl's room, jump out the window, and A&A would retort: "Here we go again!"). And the googley-eyed, "woah-oah" dolls. (Caramel skintight body suits = WTF???)

Haven't seen TCM 4 (or 2 or 3, as a matter of fact). But, Obscurus Lupa's review made it look like a lot of fun.

I thought that one made a lot of sense. It was, however, shocking to see
    Brooke Shields blow her brains out, ala- Last House on the Left (and, basically, it was the cops who inspired her to do it).

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

With Gothic the more I read about the night Mary Shelley developed Frankenstein the more plausible the movie becomes. :nervous:

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm also gonna throw "Speed Racer" up on the list.

It's a bad film on the surface. The story and acting are terrible and the visuals are insanely garish. But, the story-telling technique is amazing. At times the film approaches an almost cubist or quantum physics level of narrative as space and time are twisted and collapsed upon each other in simultaneous moments. The technique is really one of the best presentations of transcendence that I have ever seen. Now, why that is attached to a story about a race car driver and his comedic chimp, I have no clue. But, for those interested in WTF movies or in experimental story-telling techniques, I'd say it deserves a look. Maybe only one look. Just try to see past the completely ridiculous story.

16. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, Gummo is a good one. I loaned it to a few girls, and they all thought I was fucking insane for even having it. :eek1:

Rubber is an arthouse horror flick, which purposely maintains a WTF-style about it. Kill List has an ending that had me saying WTF in a big way. Regardless, it's still a cool fucking movie.

I've been trying to slog my way through Future-Kill for the last couple of days, and it's been WTF every minute of the way.

17. JoseCocodrilo

JoseCocodrilo New Member

For me it's "Graveyard Disturbance", this movie it's crazy! it's full WTF moments... now it's a guilty pleasure!

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Demonwarp-What starts off as a Night Of The Demon type Bigfoot/slasher fest with gratuitous nudity to boot, incomprehensibly morphs into something much weirder by the end credits.
    I do love the movie though for its incredible wackiness and a few inspired kill scenes.

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Damn you for mentioning such a thing. I just attempted to watch this. Boo hiss.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Pink Flamingos is an underground masterpiece.