X-Files returns!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm in! About 45 minutes away from watching the first new episode at NYCC.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I really should give the original run another chance.
    Got bored of the show after only 3 seasons, but maybe I would appreciate it more these days.
    Just worried that the show has aged badly, like most 90:s shows have done.
    Wasn't a huge fan of the 90:s style of thrillers, even back then.

But since it's making a return, I might give it another shot.
    Which seasons was the best?

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Wow. It was good. The place erupted when the opening theme kicked in. more later. On my cell.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

The earlier ones, the ones you gave up on. IMO season six is when things started to sag, eight when casting issues added to the woes and nine pretty much time to take Old Yeller out to the corn crib. The last two seasons still piss me off in wasting Robert Patrick's presence on such weak material.

IMO don't pick seasons, pick shows. Stick with the freak of the week episodes, leave the conspiracy theory ones alone unless you really get hooked.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

FoxConnect has 50% off. Code: PUMPKIN

Makes the individual blu-ray seasons $9.50 each. $85.50 for the entire series.

From what I understand, it'd be exactly the same as the entire collection set, just without the big box to hold the cases.

zbinks likes this.
  6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Hmm, tried that code and Fox Connect said it didn't apply to the SKU's in the cart..maybe they restricted it? I threw the individual sets in the cart.

7. CPT HOOK

Sorry, should have clarified. The code has a $150 limit, so you have to split the seasons into two separate orders.

I was able to place an order for seasons 1 - 7 for $66.50 shipped, then a second order for seasons 8 and 9 for $18.99 shipped.

8. Rocker10

Oh okay, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's exactly what I did also. I can live without getting the cardboard box for them all, the price for them seperately is just too good to pass up... and I never even got around to buying them on DVD. I used to watch the show when it was originally broadcast on TV though.

10. Rocker10

Damn, got busy yesterday and couldn't get back to trying the coupon again. Expired now.

11. CPT HOOK

Really excited to dig into these. Already have the two movies on blu-ray waiting. Now the real question, how the hell am I going to get through 9 seasons and 2 movies in time for the January 24th premiere!?!

Just for the heck of it, I plugged in my season 1 DVD and wow, it looks ugly. Can't wait to see the hi-def versions. Selling off the 9 DVD seasons should take a considerable chunk out of the $85 blu-ray upgrade.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My 9 "individual" seasons shipped from Foxconnect earlier, and should arrive by the release date.

$85.46 for them all shipped still seems like a great deal; and after viewing an unboxing video on YouTube of the set I could honestly care less about the flimsy box.

I'm really looking forward to checking these out. I haven't seen the majority of the episodes in many years, and never broke down and bought the old DVD's.

13. CPT HOOK

That's a whole lot of X-Files.

1207151521-1.jpg

Already have the two movies on blu-ray. Really excited to dig into these, hoping to finish around February in time to binge watch the new series.

Of course, currently in the middle of Eureka: Season 3 blu-ray, Tales From The Crypt: Season 5 DVDs, and 24: Season 2 DVDs. Thinking I'll have to take a break from the first two for a while and finish out the season on 24 so I can devote more time to X-Files.

Mok likes this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Very odd packaging and labeling inconsistency in seasons one and two (not sure why season two needs 7 disks). Would make sense if they had been released over several years, but not when they're released all at once.

Having said that, I bit when the Fox Connect sale happened as well. Normally I'd wait to verify the quality of the release, but the price tag was too tempting to let slip by, especially compared to the "bargain" Comic Con price.

15. CPT HOOK

No way in hell I'm going to make it in time for the new series, but I did just finish season 1. The show looks stunning in hi-def widescreen and this is a massive upgrade over the fullscreen DVDs. There are comparison screengrabs on caps-a-holic of the pilot for anyone who is interested, but they used the Australian DVDs to compare (which look pretty much the same as the US DVDs).

Every so often, there's a shot from a standard definition source (mostly stock city aerials they lifted to mask Vancouver as another city), and while noticeable I haven't found it distracting. The other 99% of the show looks terrific and pops right off the screen. They also changed the font, which is a little jarring at first, but by the second or third episode you'll be used to it.

Extras are mostly the same stuff from the DVDs, but the boost in PQ alone more than justifies the upgrade. The introductions to the Pilot and Beyond The Sea are not accessible through the Special Features menu, you can only access them by selecting the episode individually. If you select Play All, you'll miss them. I usually use the Play All function, so I almost missed them.

As for the series itself, I'm loving revisiting the show. The first half of the season is a little hit-or-miss, with a couple of standout episodes like Squeeze and Ice. But the midpoint of the season, Beyond The Sea, is where the show really finds its groove. From there, the season follows with a string of terrific "monster of the week" episodes, but Beyond The Sea is the episode that really hooks you into this world of The X-Files.

Excited to dig into season 2, but taking a little break until the holiday is over. For those on the fence, this blu-ray is definitely worth the upgrade. Might want to hold off on season 8 though, apparently there is an issue with "black crush" that effects the entire season. Fox is supposedly working on replacements that should be available in late January. Fortunately for me, there's no way I could ever make it to season 8 before then.

16. CPT HOOK

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

Easily my favorite show of all time. Certainly my #1 pick for a show to be remastered in HD. Very happy Fox came through with this. I have forgiven all of their other sins. I really can't think of another show I would put up as high as this one. I'm very happy with Twin Peaks but haven't made my way through that yet (first time viewing). A dream is Twilight Zone 80s but I know there is about zero chance of that ever happening.

The greedy part of me wonders if this was remastered in 4K?

18. MPC

MPC New Member

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Disappointing but hard to complain too much considering we could have just as easily got nothing. Nice to read Freaks and Geeks was scanned in 4k.

20. MPC

MPC New Member

The fact that the X-Files Blu-ray set looks that good gives me hope for an eventual Buffy set down the line. The 16:9 reframing of the first several seasons doesn't bother me either.