X-Files returns!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Keep in mind that the original series had its fair share of this type of episode. It was fun. We'll see it they can give us a good scary/creepy episode, too. The last is a mythology ep so really they just have two more to try and do that.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

The Brady Bunch episode is a good comparison, but I actually liked that one. The were-monster episode didn't totally work, but of the current crop it felt the most X-files-ish. I liked the reference to Queequeg, Mulder's "wanting to believe", the motel creep checking out Fox in his red speedo, and of course Scully's décolletage. The next one looks like one of the scary ones. Should be interesting.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's too bad this season is so short.
    But I guess this was more of a trial run, to see if the return of the show worked or not.
    Let's hope for 10-12 episodes next season.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I really enjoyed episode 4. The Scully spinoff seemed kind of crowbarred-in, but it served it's purpose I suppose. The Trash Man was quite an interesting monster of the week.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Liked episode 4, but thought it was a retread of episode 2. In 2 I liked that the case brought up emotions related to William, but in 4 the connection between the case & the emotional story was pretty tenuous. The monster was cool and I liked Scully's dramatic story, but they didn't feel like a complete piece.

Mok likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

On whole I enjoyed the last episode though I thought it owed a lot to two old NIGHT STALKER episodes, " Horror In The Heights" and "The Spanish Moss Murders".

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yeh I thought ep4 was okay. Nothing great but not terrible, either. Pretty graphic, at least.

I still believe the cliffhanger finale will be William related.

9. Steel76

I can't remember if there was any gore like this, in the early seasons?
    Or did it get more graphic later on?

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I think it more graphic now that shows like Hannibal and Walking Dead have pushed those limits.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the new series yet, I just finished season 4. The first season was maybe a little on the tame side in terms of on-screen gore, but I wouldn't say the show has ever shied away from it. I can't imagine anything they're doing now is any worse than some of the stuff they did in season 4.

There was an episode with intestines hanging off a tree (can't remember which one). "Leonard Betts" was about a guy who can regrow body parts, so his severed head and limbs keep popping up everywhere (plus, there's his naked body wandering around sans head). "Sanguinarium" is a terrible episode, but it's a pretty gory one.

On the extras, it's interesting to hear them talk about what Standards And Practices would and wouldn't allow. The most notorious example is probably with the episode "Home", when they're burying the baby at the beginning. The original audio track had the baby crying, implying that it was being buried alive. They were forced to remove the sound of the baby crying (but on-screen, everything is intact). On the blu-ray, you can watch the episode with either audio track.

12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Wow. That was all over the place. "Babylon" now joins "Fight Club" and "Improbable" as examples of how bad Chris Carter is at crafting comedy episodes.

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Really? I thought it was the most enjoyable episode thus far. The opening was weird considering the subject matter, but I liked where Carter took it. Things I enjoyed with this one: Mulder's weird hallucinatory trip through Texas (complete with square dancing); The Lone Gunmen (although briefly); Fox and Mulder's doppelgängers; and the Carteresque philosophizing at the end. That last scene really reminded me of some of the conversations Mulder and Scully had on the old show. Next week it's back to the shaky mythology.

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I enjoyed the latest (ep5) but understand the complaints. I think it was certainly the weakest thus far. I did enjoy Mulder tripping.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I didn't mind episode 5. It was a delicate subject to cover to be sure. I'd venture to guess the proximity to real life events is why the episode air dates were reordered?

16. Steel76

I went back, and started to watch from Season 2, in the new glorious HD versions.
    But DAMN is it a bit jarring, to go back over 20 years, to see Mulder and Scully so young. They look like they barely hit puberty in comparison :D
    I personally think. that the 2016 version of Gillian Anderson, looks way hotter though ;)
    I read bad things about the later seasons, so I'll think I'll watch up to season 5 or 6.

About Episode 5, I liked it.
    Mulders trip, reminded me a bit of my own adventures, in my 20:s, which made it even more funny :D
    Too bad there's only one episode left. But at least I have a lot of old episodes to go though, until the next season shows up.
    My interest for X-files sure have been re-ignited. I was never a big fan, back during the original run.
    But now, 20 years later, I'm hooked :)

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

Seasons 6-9 still have many great eps. Its the mythology stuff that gets whacky.

18. Steel76

Okey, I'll watch them as well, or at least check out the best episodes :)

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've started watching the show again on netflix. i remember seeing the final scene of Deep Throat, the second episode of the first season on it's original airing, when Mulder is speaking to Deep Throat after running laps. The week after I watched Squeeze, and it freaked my little brother out so much that my parents refused to let us watch it any more that year. I think we started watching around season 2. So most of these episodes are completely new to me. kind of cool. looking forward to watching the whole series in order, including the films, and ending with the new series.

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, I wasn't thrilled with the finale. I'll deal with it for the few fun episodes we got. I hope they make more.

Mok likes this.