X-Files returns!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah they really tried to rush through what could have been a 2+ hour film. Or maybe had they mentioned plot points such as
    Mulder being sick / Scully looking for a cure, throughout the season the final episode wouldn't have seemed so mashed together.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Agreed. The only positive is ending it on the cliffhanger like that will have fans clamoring for more. It just makes you wonder if Carter will ever truly end the series.

Mok likes this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think you're spot on Mok, they should have drawn these points out over the 6 episodes but I get the feeling they were striving for episodes that stood alone as much as possible.

And let me bitch a bit:
    Even if they can use Scully's DNA to make antidotes, all it does it turn people's immune systems back on. Like Dana points out with Mulder, many are already too far gone for that to help. It's going to be hard to walk back the fact that millions of people should logically die. Especially since the cure comes from DC. It'll take a day or two to get it around the rest of the world in the best of scenarios at the least, none the less one where first-responders are already the worst for wear. Unless next season has 20-30% of the human population dead, it's going to be total BS. And we all know that, even if they do have that high of a death toll in the season opener, the following episodes will act like none of it happened and Fox will be back in the basement and Dana won't be getting a Nobel prize for science for curing THE WHOLE FUCKING PLANET!

But what was especially vexing is that the first time they did the DNA test and it failed to show the gene Dana should have just said, "Fuck it. There's no more time for proofs. Roll up my sleeve and give the anthrax marine some of my blood!" And shown a leap of faith, instead of waiting around a few hours to come up with "we just need a larger sample! D'ERP!" This whole season, hell the whole damn show, was about Scully taking bigger leaps of faith. So what the hell?

At the end of the day I only liked the Weremonster episode, and that's only kinda liked. It felt very SyFy Channel-ish and even if that's its overt intention I'm not digging on it. Everything else just reminded me why I was relieved the show finally went off the air. All the previous grievance were not only back in full force but cranked to 11 and I've come to the unavoidable conclusion that Chris Carter is why I don't like the show. David and Gillian are all that's carrying it for me, as I genuinely like what they've done. Add one or two good writers in the mix because they have to fill out their season quotas and that pretty much sums up the entirety of The X-Files.

Am I wrong? Everyone I talk to and everything I read online echoes that. Yet we all still tune in. We all want to believe.

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Bad Xfiles > No Xfiles. I don't think I will ever change my opinion on that. Perhaps because the show was once great and we hope they can touch upon that magic once again.

I loved Were-Monster and enjoyed everything else except the last two eps. Even that religious ep, at least it had Mulder tripping - kind of fun.

The best part of the revival is that it has renewed interest in the show. The comics are going strong (though I don't really enjoy them) and there are more novels in the works, including a young Mulder and Scully pre Xfiles. When all else fails, revisit the series on Blu-ray. I'm making my way through now (1/3 through Season 3) and can tell you i remember 75% of the episodes. It's like watching the series for the first time. There is a positive to getting old.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Looking at the credits, it seems as though the weaker episodes were Chris Carter written/directed. (Although I didn't mind "Babylon").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files_(season_10)

I think he should allow someone to shape his ideas up better or maybe even hand the keys over and just consult.

6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yes!

No. The myth stuff went through so many different permutations it really doesn't matter if they ever conclude it. The two episodes this season didn't even bother me. I became enured to their nonsensical ways a long time back. It was cool seeing Gish again, though her connection to the smoking man didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It would have been nice to see Robert "dollars to donuts" Patrick back, but I guess it isn't a perfect world. The comments here illustrate something I've always liked about The X-files; It seems there's something for everyone. My favorite episode was Babylon with a close second being Home Again. I know most here seemed to like the Were-Monster episode. None of them qualify to me as classics up there with Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or the like, but I'd certainly tune in for a season 11 (especially with Robert Patrick).

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Before the revival I believed that. But as I've said, these new episodes only remind me why I was glad the show ended when it did.

If they come back I hope they have a better budget and I hope they have time to polish everything because this all seemed like a rush job. But I doubt it, and so I doubt I'll give them a watch if they do come back. Frankly I'm not that curious how they resolve this cliff hanger, because we all know it ultimately won't matter how they resolve the cliff hanger. Even hardcore fans agree on that point so all I can do is throw up my hands and walk away.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Wow the season blus are all $15-20 on Amazon. Crazy.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

What a lame duck new series that was

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Workshed likes this.
  11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Exciting. I thought the revival was decent.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

Season 11 with 10 eps. I'm in!

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The new season premieres on January 3rd, which is actually kind of perfect for me. I've been working my way through the blu-ray collection over the past two years, and I'm currently on disc 5 of season 9. Just hit episode 200 last night (the rather bizarre Brady Bunch episode).

I've got the two-part season 9 finale ("The Truth") to watch, the special features disc (disc 6), the I Want To Believe movie, and the six-episode season 10 event series and I'll be all caught up. I think I can do that in time for the premiere.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Tonight's the night! 8PM on FOX. With Gillian Anderson departing at the end of the season, I kind of hope this is the final season of The X-Files. Also hope they planned the finale accordingly...

To follow up with my previous post, I finished season 9 and watched I Want To Believe. I just have to watch the event series, which I have on blu-ray. I'll probably start that tonight, should be all caught up in time for episode 2.

It's taken me two years to get through the entire series! It's been fun though, and they couldn't have timed this new season more perfectly!

Who's watching?

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Did anyone else feel a little...confused?

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Yep. Not sure what I enjoyed more, the borderline incomprehensibility or the non-stop narration. Sigh. The only episode of the revival I’ve enjoyed less than this was Babylon. At least now we have 8 standalone episodes to look forward to and, from what I can tell, Chris Carter directed none of them.

17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Last season I was convinced the series had journeyed up its own mythology posterior and become hopelessly lost. This episode convinced me it has since died there, and what was wafting out of my TV speakers was the smell.

Conspiracy layers piled onto conspiracy. Closing in on the conspirators answered by bait and switch. I've become used to Carter revisiting those tattered, dog-eared script pages. But tossing a protagonist in the hospital as a plot device was a weak ploy the first dozen or so times the series did so, it doesn't improve by pulling the stunt twice in one episode. And I think we're long past the point of playing Skinner off as an untrustworthy figure.

I suspect Anderson would be less absolute on leaving the role if there was an expectation of more quality in it, she's just too professional (and too loyal to old friends) to explicitly say so.

X-human likes this.
  18. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think Gillian is more about wanting a bigger bucket of money. Its a negotiation tactic. I could be wrong. But I'm not complaining about getting 16 additional eps if that is how it shakes out. I enjoyed most of the first six. Haven't watched this first to to newest season just yet.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I tuned in because I was genuinely curious how Carter got himself out of the mess he made. LOL. All I could do is shake my head the whole time.

I have to hand it to Carter for topping himself though in the bullshit cop-outs department. I was expecting Deus Ex Machina, but instead we got
    it-was-all-just-a-dream
    which is the biggest bullshit cop-out of them all.

If the first episode was confusing, it's because it literally went nowhere. Each ten minute segment between the commercial breaks was them retelling the same plot points. Again. And again. And again. Plot point identical the last season finale. And yeah, dusting off that old chestnut "can we trust Skinner?" is again total bullshit. I got a bad feeling when they had those in the teasers all Fall. He's been more reliable than Mulder or Scully combined. Pick a season. Skinner is the logical reasonable one. Mulder and Scully routinely do stupid stunts that fuck each other over and everyone has amnesia about it the next season. Who's buying any of that nonsense?

And unbelievably this episode looked even cheaper than the last season. At least spend a little on the opener! This is just a money grab with the few bucks that land on the ground left over for the actual production.

I'm officially done.

KGBRadioMoskow likes this.
  20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

God dammit!
    I was looking forward to the new season, after last years cliffhanger, and then they pull this shit?!

I didn't even finish the episode. I'm done as well...

X-human likes this.