X-Files returns!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Feb 24, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Fox confirmed this will be the final season.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Cop out for sure. But hopeful for some good more episodes.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

They said without Gillian, they don't see it continuing. Carter said the same.

But with the Fox Disney purchase and the weak ratings, this likely is the last hurrah. Let's see if he can screw up the finale too.

4. CPT HOOK

I'm dodging the landmine of spoilers by entering this thread, but I watched the first half of "The Event Series" last night and just wanted to say "Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Monster" was amazing! So much fun!

I think Darin Morgan's episodes of the original series were mostly duds, save for "War Of The Coprophages" (and he has a pretty amazing guest-starring role in the excellent "Small Potatoes"), but he really knocked it out of the park here. It's hilarious, fun, and even strangely moving.

After the first couple seasons, the show's mythology got way too convoluted. With only 13 episodes left for me, I'm kind of hoping we ditch the mythology and say goodbye with a series of fun "monster of the week" tales. Although obviously, the new season is going to be book-ended with the muddled on-going mythology. But hey, I'd love 8 episodes of fun in-between!

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Different strokes, I guess. For me every Darin Morgan episode of the original run except for Coprophages would likely be in my top 10 of the series.

6. fattyjoe37

Watched “This” and felt it was an improvement over “My Struggle III”, but still nothing above mediocre. The plot didn’t grab me and the humor seemed forced. Gillian Anderson was live tweeting and said she ad-libbed the alien butt line and you can tell. They must be reacting to the positive notices last season’s Darin Morgan episode received and will be trying to insert comedy wherever they can, even if it doesn’t fit with the characters or scene.

7. CPT HOOK

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, "Plus One", but I did finish the Event Series and watched the first two episodes of this new season.

I actually really dug "My Struggle II". The show had continuously teased us with the brink of worldwide invasion, and there it finally was. After that, I was extremely disappointed with the cop out that was "My Struggle III". That said, I can't really blame them for going in that direction. They had written themselves into a corner, and there was really no other way to go with it unless they wanted to do all 10 episodes of the new season solely about that. I'm really glad I had just watched the Event Series prior to this, because if there had been over a year between "My Struggle II" and "III", I would have been completely lost.

I really dislike what they've done with the Annabeth Gish character. I do really like Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose as the young doppelgangers of Mulder and Skully, that could make for a fun spin-off show.

The second episode, "This", was good fun. It seemed a bit more ambitious than your typical X-Files episode, pretty high-concept chase thriller. If the rest of the stand-alone episodes this season are at least up to snuff with this one, I'll walk away happy.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Personally, I thought Plus One was easily the best episode in either of the two Event Seasons so far! It really had the feel of the old series that has been lacking from the more recent efforts. Frankly, aside from some "tender moments" chit-chat about getting older, it could have been lifted from one of the first 4 seasons.

9. CPT HOOK

Yeah, "Plus One" was a solid monster-of-the-week episode, and a terrific showcase for Vancouver's treasure of a character actress Karin Konoval (she's technically played four different roles in the series over the course of three episodes, all of them quite memorable). Not my favorite episode of new The X-Files though, but a good one nonetheless.

Next week is the Darin Morgan episode, and the teaser looks just as kooky and strange as we should expect. We'll see if he can top last season's "Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Monster".

10. fattyjoe37

I thought “Plus One” was the best episode of the season so far, but still not particularly great. I liked the direction, the fact that some suspense was built, and that we got some character moments for Mulder & Scully. It’s no conversation on the rock from “Quagmire”, but it was still nice. I don’t like that the supernatural events were never explained (something I feel started happening a lot around season 7, stuff just is and they no longer feel the need to reveal how these powers developed or where the monsters come from). Still like a 3/5 for me, but the season keeps moving in the right direction and next up is Darin Morgan!

11. fattyjoe37

Finally a good Season 11 episode! Of course I’m a huge Darin Morgan mark, but it was nice to see something that entertaining again. It isn’t perfect, in fact it’s probably my least favorite Morgan ep, mainly because it was just a bit too goofy for my taste. I prefer when his goofy is mixed with melancholy, scares, and disdain. Still the 2nd best episode of either revival season thus far, behind his own Were-Monster from Season 10.

12. CPT HOOK

I thought it was quirky, fun, and creative. Not a standout though.

I did love the Reggie Something montage. That was pretty spectacular.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Didn't like this one but yeah fan reaction on reddit was also strong. Just too goofy. Loved Were-Monster, though.

14. fattyjoe37

Quality dropped down below the last 2 episodes for me with “Ghouli”, which was a really weak monster of the week mixed with an ok emotional mythology story. It did make me think a character I’m supposed to care about is a huge tool and I don’t care at all what happens to them in the future, so it’s got that going for it.

15. fattyjoe37

Haven’t been chiming in each episode because there hasn’t been much to say. The recent ones have all been decent, but not great. Rating the episodes on IMDb and the last three weeks have each been 6 out of 10s.

16. CPT HOOK

The season (and possibly the series) ended last night.

I fell behind, but I'm slowly catching up. The last two episodes I watched (7 & 8) were both really good!

Rm9sbG93ZXJz was sort of like a Black Mirror episode with Mulder and Scully. It's total fluff, but I found it charming, quirky, and fun.

Familiar was a considerably darker episode and felt a bit like they were ripping off Channel Zero: Candle Cove, but I still liked it a lot. Except for the fact that Mulder and Scully have aged and the show is now shot digitally, this episode could have fit into seasons 1 - 5 quite seamlessly. Definitely felt like an episode of the show during it's heyday.