X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) spoiler free Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, May 22, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)​

Directed by Bryan Singer​

8.5/10​

Well after the critically acclaimed rebirth of the X-Men with X-Men:First Class, we now have the opportunity to have the original, current day X-Men and the old school X-Men in one film. The result is an unforgettable epic which may not only be the best X-Men film to dat e but perhaps the best super-hero film to date also.
    The epic scope of the timelines (one an apocalyptic in nature and the other in the politically charged Nixon era) blend wonderfully with an array of characters , set pieces, emotional points and swift moving plot working together to somewhat of a masterpiece of the genre. The effects and camera work are the best they have been in the series and a big step up from first class. The film also has wonderful humor along with the action and serious parts not to mention wonderful performances from Fassbender, Macavoy and the best use of Wolverine to date.​

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

How does it compare to the 90s cartoon version of the storyline?

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just saw this tonight and absolutely loved it! I'm not the biggest X-men fan (this being the first I've seen theatrically) but I'd encourage all here to see this. I though it was excellent; great characters, terrific story and lots of heart and soul. I'm definitely hanging out for the next installment now. Bring on X-Men: Apocalypse!

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

This and Godzilla were the two movies I have been looking forward to all year. Godzilla was great, but I have even more hope for this one. Hopefully it lives up to my rather high expectations!

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well the cartoon version was very close to the comic, this one is set in the movie universe which is set up pretty different. So they do not compare that much.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Weird, the film has such good word of mouth and a lot of hype but fell short of the most conservative prediction for its weekend box office total

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Big X-Men fan and absolutely loved this one. Even better than First Class (which I really dig but find it very slightly overrated) Can't wait for the next one.

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Thought it was great, lived up to the original story even if it vastly differed. Cool to see this stuff coming to the big screen and in a good way. Total X-nerd flick.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I guess this depends on your source. From what I am seeing on this end, it seems to be faring quite well.

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

its doing well for sure but was under the lowest prediction of 95 million by 5 million, by the end of monday it should be looking pretty sweet though.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Memorial day figures came out now up to 111 million, pretty sweet

12. Franco

Franco Weekender

Is this one worth it in 3D? In contrast with Godzilla, for example, this one was filmed in native 3D for what I've read.

13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Theater by me only had it in 2D, Franco.

14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

its in 3d and imax everywhere here but I chose to see it in 2D albeit on the largest regular screen around, it was epic.

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I chose 3D but, honestly, I think it's probably great either way. I will definitely pick it up on blu.

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah ill get the 3D blu for the collection

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I saw it in 3D because it was filmed in Real3D and thought it looked good. Better than Godzilla in 3D.
    I'd imagine a certain Quicksilver scene wouldn't look as cool in 2D.

18. Franco

Franco Weekender

I guess I'll go see it in 3D then. And 2D later maybe.

In the US, the tuesdays have the cheapest ticket value in the week? It happens here. It's a rule for cinemas. Tickets are almost half the price on tuesdays.

19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Overall, this was pretty good. Quicksilver was sort of a weird diversion, but I liked the character and his scenes were probably the best part of the film. Not sure why they dropped him from the story so quickly. The "Portal" fight choreography was pretty cool, though it probably could have been better if any of those characters were actually fleshed out or if it involved characters we knew better. And, despite being too small, the Sentinels were pretty impressive.

But, I have to say that taken as a whole and over time, I really haven't liked most of the X-Men related films. Which is weird, considering that, as a kid, I loved the comics. There's a glum feeling that hovers over all of them, though over First Class the least. I get that they are "supposed" to be darker stories than the Avengers or Spiderman. But, I think I am getting a bit tired of the humans-v-mutants story lines. Back when I was reading X-Men, they went into space and fought aliens and dracula(?) and all sorts of other adventures. I'd kinda like to see them branch out into some other stories, similar to what they are doing with Avengers, as opposed to rehashing the same themes over and over again. "The Wolverine" was a step in the right direction although I think they should have stuck closer to the original Miller/Claremont story. And, I really think they need to stop feeling the need to have 15+ mutants running around at any given time and just focus on a smaller number of characters.

Still a solid film, and despite my (petty) gripes above, I did enjoy and would recommend it.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Loved it! My favourite film of the year thus far, and my favourite X-Men film to date! Hell, it is probably my third favourite comic book film of all time, just behind The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

This film is to me a perfect representation of a comic film. It has the solid action and effects, but it also delivers a story that is interesting and a threat that is very real. Not to mention some real emotional moments, thankfully handled well by the solid cast. It never felt dumbed down or just a product to sell toys like some of the other comic book films out there. I was actually really surprised how well they handled the time travel aspects and all the characters, it never felt like it was too bogged down, or too confusing. The acting, script, directing, effects, set design, were all very well done, I really had no issues with this film. I can't wait for the sequel with Apocalypse!

I would give it a 8.5/10, maybe even a 9/10.

As for the Marvel vs X-Men series debate, I like the X-Men films much more. Marvel films are fun popcorn flicks, but they never offer any substance or tension. They almost feel like children's movies when compared to Singer's X-Men films or Nolan's Batman films. I also feel the villains in their films have been for the most part very weak and unmemorable, with the exception of The Winter Soldier who I really enjoyed. I know everyone loves Loki, but I never found him to be a very intimidating villain. In the Avengers especially, I never once felt the Avengers were ever in any real trouble from him or those generic aliens. Hopefully the Avengers sequel ups the ante and delivers some tension and a threatening villain with Ultron.

Last edited: May 27, 2014